Main > The Round Table

Knightly Hairdos

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir Nate:
Every lady wanted to be ms.kennedy!
Yes well I agree with wolf on his fashion statement.
Although chin length wavy hair never seemed out of style.
Short roman hair cut seemed nice. Or stringy longer hair with shaggy beard. Perhaps if you want to be a viking you can braid your beard(lol more so dwarves)
Ive been considering neck beards. A beard that starts only on your neck down.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-03-03, 20:36:40 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-03-03, 20:12:33 ---I noticed that in a lot of theses effigies it depicts people with wavy hair. In fact in a lot of medieval art work I see this. Is it the actual style or just an artistic way to draw hair? If it was the style did people make their hair wavy?

--- End quote ---

I read somewhere that they got those curls by braiding their hair, washing it, then unbraiding it when it dried. I actually tried this not long ago with a small section of my hair, and it produced some pretty nice results, though my hair is naturally wavy to begin with. I just wish I could find where I read that; no idea if it's true or not.

--- End quote ---

Thats interesting, I may have to try that some time. I did actually decide to look this up and Hair Care Recipes
from Medieval/Renaissance Sources seems to have the most reasonable information. It gives recipes, but, knowing the middle ages, the stuff they made were rather unpleasant and couldn't always be proven to work. More like urban legends if you will. Like swallowing a bee will make you never able to have a baby and stuff like that.

SirNathanQ:
Or, we could all wear hats, like people actually did in period. Seriously folks, get some hats out there. It's an odd circumstance when one is bareheaded in period.

Aiden of Oreland:
I'm getting a felt hat, but some of those hairstyles are kinda cool and the babes in my school dig wavy hair ;)

Stanislaw:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2014-03-04, 05:45:25 ---Or, we could all wear hats, like people actually did in period. Seriously folks, get some hats out there. It's an odd circumstance when one is bareheaded in period.

--- End quote ---

I've got a woolen naalbound hat that should be arriving soon-ish.

We see all sorts of wide-brimmed straw or wool hats in period artwork from almost every era in the medieval age, so I definitely agree that we should be seeing more of them!  :)

This Maciejowski Bible image provides some absolutely wonderful examples:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version