"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: I've gone to the Dark Side... I bought a katana  (Read 6445 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
I've gone to the Dark Side... I bought a katana
« on: 2009-01-22, 07:02:15 »
Thanks to Sir Edward notifying me of a sale, I now own a Hanwei Tori katana. It is one of the Hanwei folded steel swords.

I haven't done any Japanese martial arts since about 1996 or so, when I stopped doing Aikido. And ever since starting my path down the road of Historical European Martial Arts, I've never really looked back. There was a while where I had no interest in Japanese swords whatsoever, which was probably a reaction to all of the hype and myths surrounding them for so many years. I sold my old katana years ago, and never regretted it.

But over the past couple of years I've started to appreciate them again. I'll still take a German longsword any day, but I find that I still have a soft spot for a well made katana.

The Tori (I believe this means "bird") is a pretty decent sword. Handling-wise, I really like it. It has enough weight and mass that it can hold its own in binding actions, particularly with deflections of oncoming attacks with the spine from low kamae (stances). It is light enough that I have a great deal of control of it. The tsuka (handle) is a great length for me. I don't care for some of the super long grips that so many production katana now have (though many do prefer this). I have yet to do any test cutting, but I suspect, based on edge geometry and handling, that it will cut quite nicely. This is the type of weapon that would have served a samurai for war time as well as for personal defense and duelling.

The fittings are very attractive. The tsuba (guard) has what is called a mokko-gata shape, which is essentially like a four leaf clover. The crane motif is attractive, but isn't at all gaudy. The menuki (the little metal pieces under the wrap) are of kabuto (Japanese helmets), which was kind of neat looking, though I confess to finding them a strange match for the bird theme. Having said that, many historical Japanese swords have menuki that don't really match the tsuba, so that isn't out of place. The habaki (the brass "ricasso" area to hold the sword snugly in the scabbard) fits well, and has a simple but pleasant pattern of parallel "scratches", reminiscent of wind (appropriate for the crane theme), or of reeds blowing in the wind.

The tsuka ito (the wrapping on the handle) is made of brown suede. It is decent, though a serious Japanese martial artist would likely complain about it not being quite tight enough. I suspect heavy use would cause it to loosen up fairly quickly. Since I don't do any Japanese martial arts at all anymore, it doesn't bother me that much.

The same (the rayskin underneath the tsuka ito) is died black. I wasn't sure how I felt about that at first, since the "classic" design is typically white. Once I had it in hand, though, I decided I really like it. This was done on historical swords as well, just not as commonly as white.

The blade is folded, and the jihada (steel grain) is visible without being overly flashy. You can see some open spots where the grain isn't perfect, and quite honestly, that's just what you have to accept with a mass-produced folded blade. Better forging is done with high end custom smiths, but that costs big bucks. I believe these spots are called "ware", but I can't remember at the moment. The hamon (temper line) is visible and reasonably attractive. Not the most amazing hamon I've ever seen, but for the price it is quite acceptable.

The saya (scabbard) appears to be well made. I'm kind of tired of the glossy black ones that seems standard on most production swords. This one has a flat brown stone finish (I believe that's called "ishime", though don't quote me on that). It also has lacquered rattan at the throat. This was a nice touch that you don't see on too many modern production katana. The rattan was often used to repair or reinforce split saya, but the design became popular enough that people began using it as decoration.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. It isn't a top of the line sword by any means, but its still a very well made sword. As it is the only Japanese styled sword in my collection, it fufills my desire to own a traditional katana.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: I've gone to the Dark Side... I bought a katana
« Reply #1 on: 2009-01-22, 07:05:50 »
One thing that annoyed me about it, though, was the sageo (the wrapping around the saya near the throat). It wasn't tied, which means I'll have to do it myself. The problem is that it really takes skill to tie these correctly so that they are both attractive and tight. All of the other folded-steel katana that Hanwei sells have the sageo knot tied nicely, and the catalog photo provided by Hanwei also shows this tied correctly. Mine came with it loosely strung across as if it were put on by a wanna-be ninja who thought it was for carrying the sword on the back. :(

I guess I'll just have to give it my best try in tying it myself.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2009-01-22, 11:16:32 »
too much highlander talk got you thinking eh? hehehe

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2009-01-22, 15:23:58 »

Yeah, I caved and got the Golden Oriole:

The fact that it's blue certainly doesn't hurt. :) But I was also attracted to the light balance that is described in this sword's stats. Since it is a lot lighter, it probably will require more acceleration to cut well, but CAS/Hanwei claims that it's built with cutting in mind. The Bo-Hi (fuller/groove) adds to the light feel, while also making it less resilient against bad cuts. But it has the advantage of making a really cool "whoosh!" sound when you swing it. :)

Based on the handling, I suspect it will be an adequate (but not excellent) cutter.

This model is not folded, which of course with modern steel is not a requirement for strength and resilience. It would have been nice from a traditional standpoint. My first choice would have been the Orchid katana, from a purely aesthetic perspective, which does have a folded blade. However, it was not on sale, and I could see getting it someday down the line.

The saya (scabbard) has the typical, boring, gloss lacquer finish, but it's beautifully done, very even, and it's blue, so I can forgive it. :) The tsuka-ito (grip wrap) seems tight, and is done with the usual cotton cord.

The tsuka is of the longer 13" variety. I haven't decided if I like it more or less than the more common 10" length. It feels like it can grant more leverage for making cuts, but I can see how it might also get in the way. Since I don't plan to do any JSA with it, I don't think it matters beyond the aesthetic, and I think it looks good on this sword.

I need to take a closer look at the menuki, since I hadn't noticed what they're depicting. The Tsuba (guard) depicts an Oriole bird stalking a mantis, which is in turn stalking a cricket. The pommel-cap (kashira) also depicts a mantis.

This one has the traditional white same (ray-skin grip).

It's interesting that I didn't really have any interest in Japanese-style swords until I started taking an interest in the Highlander movies and shows. It wasn't one of those "I want to be a ninja!!" sorts of things, or "I want to be like McLeod!!" sorts of things either. Rather, it caused me to take a closer look, and realize that these weapons could also be beautiful works of art. Since then, I've bought several, but most of them were display-only, which I'm trying to get rid of. I successfully sold a few on ebay this past week. Since I am (and have always been) much more interested in the European weapons and swordsmanship, I'm trying to keep the katanas in my collection to a small subset, just having a few pieces that I like.

I'm thinking at this point, I may also sell my Hanwei Shinto katana, since the Golden Oriole is now filling that niche in my collection.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2009-01-22, 15:51:58 »
I got to see Ed's sword last night. Its very pretty. I really like the Golden Oriole design. I personally liked the older version of it more, though most purists complained that it was gaudy. Ordinarily I don't like gaudy katana, either, but there was something about the old design that really appealled to me. To each his own, I suppose. Either way, I'm still a big fan of the current version Ed has.

But I was also attracted to the light balance that is described in this sword's stats. Since it is a lot lighter, it probably will require more acceleration to cut well, but CAS/Hanwei claims that it's built with cutting in mind. The Bo-Hi (fuller/groove) adds to the light feel, while also making it less resilient against bad cuts.

Yeah, I have to say, I wasn't a fan of it being so light. The thing is, when they say it was designed for cutting, what they really mean is they designed it for competition cutting, which probably means it will be fine on tatami and any other typical targets. For years, though, many people have complained about modern swords becoming more and more designed for competition cutting to the point where they no longer reflect original swords. I've never handled an antique that was so light. I was serious when I said my first instinct with it was to use it like a smallsword. :) On the flip side, the balance is quite nice.

This model is not folded, which of course with modern steel is not a requirement for strength and resilience. It would have been nice from a traditional standpoint.

Don't feel bad: Many traditional swords weren't folded either, no matter what some people want to believe. :) My old sword wasn't folded, but that was the first question people always asked: "Is it folded? Because if it isn't, then it isn't real." Now, none of the Hanwei swords are purely traditionally made, folded or not, but that's kind of like saying Albion's aren't traditional because they use modern machines and techniques. For the money, the Hanwei swords are close enough, in my mind.

My first choice would have been the Orchid katana, from a purely aesthetic perspective, which does have a folded blade.

Agreed, that one is my favorite as well. Though it isn't my favorite in terms of handling. The tsuka is very skinny, so it feels weird in my big hands. Still, had it been available, I would have bought it. I'm much less picky about the handling of a katana then I am with the handling of longswords and rapiers, purely because I don't actually practice Japanese swordsmanship anymore.

The tsuka is of the longer 13" variety. I haven't decided if I like it more or less than the more common 10" length. It feels like it can grant more leverage for making cuts, but I can see how it might also get in the way. Since I don't plan to do any JSA with it, I don't think it matters beyond the aesthetic, and I think it looks good on this sword.

Yeah, some people really love the longer tsuka. I know certain schools require it. Other schools forbid it. I always trained with a much shorter grip, "back in the day", so to this day I tend to really dislike the long tsuka because, even though it allows more leverage, it also hinders the full swing of the cut.

It's interesting that I didn't really have any interest in Japanese-style swords until I started taking an interest in the Highlander movies and shows. It wasn't one of those "I want to be a ninja!!" sorts of things, or "I want to be like McLeod!!" sorts of things either.

Heh, my interest in these started when I was about 11 or so, and it was totally because I wanted to be a ninja. :)

Rather, it caused me to take a closer look, and realize that these weapons could also be beautiful works of art.

That came much later for me. After the ninja phase. :)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2009-01-22, 16:02:00 »
too much highlander talk got you thinking eh? hehehe

Heh, no, the desire to buy one started long before that. But it is kind of funny that we were suddenly talking about it, and then Ed and I end up buying these. :)

Ed, if you come for my head, I'll cry like a little baby.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2009-01-22, 16:24:24 »
It's interesting that I didn't really have any interest in Japanese-style swords until I started taking an interest in the Highlander movies and shows. It wasn't one of those "I want to be a ninja!!" sorts of things, or "I want to be like McLeod!!" sorts of things either.

Heh, my interest in these started when I was about 11 or so, and it was totally because I wanted to be a ninja. :)

Rather, it caused me to take a closer look, and realize that these weapons could also be beautiful works of art.

That came much later for me. After the ninja phase. :)

lol! For me, I thought the Japanese weaponry looked weird and foreign. Now, playing D&D on the other hand. I totally wanted to be a dungeon adventurer. :) I wanted to be like Gandalf-- A wizard with a sword. And I first fell in love with wheel-pommels after watching the BBC's Robin of Sherwood series (which I have on DVD too!).

Ed, if you come for my head, I'll cry like a little baby.

Is VAF considered holy ground? :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Dragonlover

« Reply #7 on: 2009-01-23, 02:19:45 »
Actually, if a Samurai were in armor, (a Yoroi) he would most likely be sporting a tachi,
which was actually the forerunner of the katana. Since it took to hands to draw, a Samurai
would usually hand his bow to an attendant and draw it.
 the daisho (katana and wakizashi) didn't appear until later years and in armor, the wakizashi,
or short sword is not carried. It would be replaced with a tanto, or dagger, and maybe even
two or three. A LOT of skirmishes by High-ranking officers were decided with a tanto to a
vital area in what can only be described as a Mexican stand-off.
I picked up a daisho folded steel set by Imperial weapons two years ago and I adore them.
I think I got just about the last of the sets and I love the way they handle, etc. Good
High-carbon blades. They reside over my tack-stitch yoroi....
Both of you guys blades are NICE! I've drooled over them myself so Congratulations!

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2009-01-23, 04:50:06 »
Actually, if a Samurai were in armor, (a Yoroi) he would most likely be sporting a tachi,
which was actually the forerunner of the katana. Since it took to hands to draw, a Samurai
would usually hand his bow to an attendant and draw it.

Actually, that's not quite true; Its more internet lore than fact. The tachi was a cavalry weapon, probably most popular around the 10th to 12th century in the Heian era, though the design certainly lasted through the Kamakura Era (up through the 14th century). It did not take two hands to draw, or even to use (though it obviously was large enough to use with two hands), else it would have been inefficient for horseback usage. But by the 15th century, in the Muromachi era, it was becoming more common to use shorter swords, and that's where we start seeing the "classic" katana design. This weapon was used both in armor as well as outside of armor, with the notable difference being that it was more common to see it used on foot than previously. So armor doesn't really relate to which weapon was used, but time period does.