Main > The Round Table

I Want to be an 11th century Norman Knight

<< < (10/11) > >>

Mike W.:
That sounds... appetizing.

Good news is I've ordered most of my soft kit from Historic Enterprises!

It may be a little while before I order some armor. I was eyeballing allbeststuff.com, but I'm a little hesitant to buy the cheap Indian stuff (though I haven't heard any complaints). I'm thinking that I'm just gonna save up and spend the extra money for GDFB and be more confident in the quality of the piece.

Sir William:
Well, no matter where you get it from, if it be the likes of Kult of Athena, GDFB or similar sites, it's mostly if not all Indian-made.  That in and of itself doesn't mean its garbage (altho a good bit of it is) just that you'll most likely need to tailor it somehow.  Even if you go to one of the retailers who make (or have someone else not Indian make) it, it might still need tailoring to some degree- not to mention cost 2 - 3 times more than the Indian stuff.

It is what I'll end up going with, just need to pick which retailer I want to work with (one of the guys on AA decided to try his hand at being a retailer of this sort of maille, working with a shop to produce shirts and hauberks in about 1 - 2 months, considering going with him because I'd have an avenue to pursue if I'm not happy; that may not always be the case w/anything bought overseas direct) and give him my money.  lol

Mike W.:
So my next project will be to build the kite shield, but I have a dilemma... Do I make it concave or flat?

I've seem most modern re-creations to be concave, but I have also seen flat. Additionally, the Bayeux Tapestry shows troops using their shields as tables.

I don't think you could easily do that with concave shields.

Sir James A:
A flat shield doesn't protect as well as a rounded shield. I don't think flat is very useful and often is a "I don't have a way to curve it" concession. I thought, curved down like "n" instead of up like "u" would make it reasonably usable as a table since things would slide towards the center instead of off - but I'm not sure if part of what I'm looking at on those shields is a strap / handle or something else. I thought this would be a very simple question, but quite the contrary.

Sir Wolf:
i have both.
personally i like the curved one better. better protection etc. i can use it as a table, just set it in the center etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version