Main > The Round Table

I Want to be an 11th century Norman Knight

(1/11) > >>

Mike W.:
Based on the success of Sir William's "I Want To Be a 13th Century English Knight", I've decided to attempt my own post.

I want to portray a typical Norman Knight that would have appeared at the Battle of Hastings. I've created a list of the items I believe I need, though being new to this hobby, I was hoping someone could guide me where to buy affordable and mostly authentic items.

Here's what I've gotten so far:
Soft Kit:
Under Tunic
Braies
Red Tunic
Black Hoses
Tan Winingas
Gambeson
Shoes
Coif
Belt

Hard Kit:
Round wire riveted rings with alternate flat rings hauberk
Round wire riveted rings with alternate flat rings coif (will probably try to integrate this with hauberk)
Olmutz style spangenhelm
Type Xa Sword
Scabbard with integrated belt
Tear Drop Shield
Spurs
Spear with Pennon
Axe
Utility/Eating Knife

Is there anything that I'm missing? Does anyone recommend a certain vendor? (I was looking at Kult of Athena, Historic Enterprises, and Allbeststuff mostly).

Sir Edward:

Wow, that sounds pretty complete already. I think you might want to post some pictures before the forum crowd gets ugly. ;)

Sir Patrick:
How handy are you? A Norman kite shield is pretty easy to make and will save you $ for the rest of your kit. Heres the directions I used to make mine:
http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_shieldpress.asp

Mike W.:
I used those directions already to make a kite shield with great success. Though I did take a few short cuts. I used a canvas covering, modern domed carriage bolts, and staples instead of rawhide.

Mike W.:
When my next paycheck comes in on friday, I think I'll get started buying some of the soft kit. I want to hold out before I get hard kit items just to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version