Main > The Round Table

Why do you study history?

<< < (3/3)

Thorsteinn:
Why? So I don't repeat it. Also cause I like good stories. :)

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-02-07, 18:21:35 ---Im a mix of all 3. My dad was a history teacher, so growing up we were always doing "history" vacations and talking about history and it's roll in current events. I definitely jump around a bit in my historical interests, but the Middle Ages have always been my favorite. Lately, I've really gotten into a "hands on" approach to the past, focusing on how they actually made / built  things back in the day. It helps the poor knight finish his kit and be ready for the zombie apocalypse at the same time  :)

--- End quote ---

I was a high school history teacher for a couple of years and I think all three drive me...the feel of a musty book...the musing of what it would have been like to live in those time...the knowledge of seeing mistakes being repeated...all give me a thrill :)

Aiden of Oreland:
I lean more on the humanist side, with just a dash of the first one and a little sprinkle of the last one.

Sir Rodney:
This:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-02-07, 19:03:08 ---i like pretty pictures

--- End quote ---

and this:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn ---Why? So I don't repeat it. Also cause I like good stories.  :)
--- End quote ---

I like to pour over pictures and narrative regarding historical weapons & armour in an effort to improve my kit.  I also enjoy a good story from any period.

For example, I found The Plantagenet Chronicles 1154-1485 by Derek Wilson to be filled with good stories about one interesting, and occasionally messed up, family.  Jump back 1,000 years and The Battle of Salamis by Barry Strauss contains many good tales (Themistocles was a stud   :) ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version