Main > The Round Table

Why do you study history?

(1/3) > >>

Mike W.:
History is studied for a multitude of reasons, but those can generally be classified into three categories: the historicist reason (studying history merely for the sake of studying it. i.e. It's there, might as well learn it), the humanist reason (studying history for the human and emotional connection to the past), and the presentist/progressive reason (studying history in order to better understand the present and thus prepare for the future). So which reason(s) do you identify with the most? Why do you study history?

I, myself, approach history from a humanistic perspective. One of the reasons I reenact various wars is in an attempt to connect on a personally human and emotional level with the past. I prefer to read personal writings, journals, and letters over treatises, political histories, and battle campaigns. Even my thesis was an effort to understand the emotional cost of war.

Ian:
I favor the humanist approach too.  I particularly zero in on the military experiences of our ancestors, because as a military man myself I find it to be a fascinating way to explore my connection to those who have gone before me.  I think part of the reason I was drawn to my profession as a military pilot was because it was as close as I could get to a modern day knight, sallying forth in a helicopter as a steed instead of a horse, but hey we have to make do with what we have :)    I also enjoy the nitty gritty details of material culture of the past (construction techniques for period crafts, clothing etc).

I find that the presentist/progressive reason that you describe happens more as a happy side-effect than the specific reason why I study the past, but a welcome occurrence nonetheless. 

Sir Douglas:
I'd say I probably lean more towards the presentist/progressive reason with just a touch of humanist. I think the thing I've really gotten out of history is that it's given me such a better understanding of where we came from, where we are, and where we're going. I have a much deeper understanding of human nature in general, though I do admit I have a hard time connecting with the human emotion side of it, if that makes any sense. I always have. My brain is wired more towards facts and figures and technology of the past.

Sir Edward:

Out of those choices, I'd say I lean toward the humanist approach myself, with a touch of the presentist/progressive.

The catalyst that got me started was actually fantasy, from D&D and movies, and popular culture. The image of the wizard with a sword (Gandalf), or Arthurian knights, D&D styled wizards and warriors, it was all very creative and alluring. This lead me to want to understand more about the weapons and armor that inspired the fiction. The more I learned about what was real, the more interested I became in the human connection as well.

We may fantasize about it, but people actually lived and died by the weapons, armor, skills, and tactics that we study. These centuries of the past are filled with horrific pain and suffering, but also enormous beauty and accomplishment. Our ancestors were very resourceful people, and I think they still have a lot to teach us.

Sir Nate:
Ya I'm a humanist. Also a presentist/progressive.
The past can lead to a better future.
As for humanist I'd say fantasy things. Aragorn from The Lord of the rings, even the Dark lord Sauron. I think he's just such a perfect example of Evil.
Id also say Arthurian legends. King Arthur, and actually Galahad. I think my most emmotional bond to history is swords, and knights. The idea of a gleaming knight in armor, with his sword in hand, wether it be Excaliber, or Anduril, just a normal sword. As I got older I really began to study the siege on my own time in middle school And before that weapons. As I studied medieval warfare I learned an idea of what kind of armor and gear people had in different eras. Over the past 2 years I've been studying and collecting armor. Thanks to Monty Python ive grown roots to want to collect garb like they had during the 12th and 13th century's. The belief in magic swords and the greatness of medieval knights and chivalry has always pushed my research, and the way I've grown up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version