Main > The Round Table

Butted maille

<< < (3/4) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
Could always weld each piece.

Sir William:
You could, but then it would still be historically inaccurate...not to mention, you're talking about over 10,000 individual welds; a lot of time and effort.  I was once like you- maybe worse because I needed instant gratification and had the means at my disposal...but thousands of dollars later, not to mention over a dozen different shirts, habergeons and hauberks later, I'm still in the market for something new and better.

I'm not sure if I would have been better served to have gotten exactly what I want and need from the beginning as part of the fun of this hobby is in acquisitions- at least, that is the case for me.  ymmv

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-02-06, 16:04:49 ---You could, but then it would still be historically inaccurate...not to mention, you're talking about over 10,000 individual welds; a lot of time and effort.  I was once like you- maybe worse because I needed instant gratification and had the means at my disposal...but thousands of dollars later, not to mention over a dozen different shirts, habergeons and hauberks later, I'm still in the market for something new and better.

I'm not sure if I would have been better served to have gotten exactly what I want and need from the beginning as part of the fun of this hobby is in acquisitions- at least, that is the case for me.  ymmv

--- End quote ---

I am saving money for a soft kit and after that I am saving money for historically accurate Items in terms of armor. The outfit you see me in, in ny pictures, was before I cared about historically accurate stuff. But after being on this forum I am saving for top notch accurate stuff. Again, before I just bought whatever I thought would look cool. I am currently stuck between butted chausses for $70 or flat wedged for $350. Its such a mental battle haha. Buy it now or wait a year.

Sir William:
I know what you mean...having been there, done that and in some cases, still doing it.  For whatever reason, I still peruse the MRL/Windlass catalog and if I see something I like, I might get it- even though it'll be anachronistic and not authentic to any one period, if at all.  That applies mostly to swords though, and the occasional garment- never the armor as most of it sucks both in quality and fitment.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-02-06, 21:26:44 ---I know what you mean...having been there, done that and in some cases, still doing it.  For whatever reason, I still peruse the MRL/Windlass catalog and if I see something I like, I might get it- even though it'll be anachronistic and not authentic to any one period, if at all.  That applies mostly to swords though, and the occasional garment- never the armor as most of it sucks both in quality and fitment.

--- End quote ---

That sounds farbish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version