Main > The Round Table

Butted maille

(1/4) > >>

Sir Nate:
What makes butted maille armor so bad?
Wasn't it use in the Middle East?
Or history in general?

Ian:
Butted maille is only strong if made from considerably thick gauges of wire.  Otherwise upon impact the rings deform very easily and fall off.  It becomes more hassle than it's worth.  Thick gauges of wire mean heavy armor.  A riveted maille can be made much lighter for equivalent if not superior protection value than a very heavy butted maille shirt.

Sir Douglas:
Butted rings are more likely to pop open under stress. There's nothing holding the ends together other than the ring's own strength; just an open gap. Riveted rings are overlapped, then held secure with another solid piece of metal. The rings could still fail under the right circumstances, of course, but it's a lot stronger.

Edit: Ninja'd by Ian.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-02-05, 22:07:37 ---Butted maille is only strong if made from considerably thick gauges of wire.  Otherwise upon impact the rings deform very easily and fall off.  It becomes more hassle than it's worth.  Thick gauges of wire mean heavy armor.  A riveted maille can be made much lighter for equivalent if not superior protection value than a very heavy butted maille shirt.

--- End quote ---

Ya I thought about that, just confirming it.

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger link=topic=3007.msg45297#msg45297 date=

Edit: Ninja'd by Ian.
[/quote ---
Indeed
--- End quote ---

Sir Wolf:
think about it. when i used to make 14 and 16 guage mail coifs and shirts I would bend the rings together with my fingers... would this stop a sword cut then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version