Main > The Round Table

Lets skip Middle Ages!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Wolf:
seeing that they are taking American figure heads like Thomas Jefferson out of the school systems, i highly doubt they will put in medieval or middle ages

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-02-05, 22:46:25 ---seeing that they are taking American figure heads like Thomas Jefferson out of the school systems, i highly doubt they will put in medieval or middle ages

--- End quote ---

That doesn't make sense, How dare they!
Both Thomas Jefferson and America spelled backwards spells freedom...Fact.

Mike W.:
I went to a private Catholic school, so we had a medieval history and a Church history class that covered the era. The medieval history class was mostly a list of dates and events, memorization of maps, and several short essays to make sense of it all. However, it tended to be biased in favor of Catholicism and a bit anti-Islamic. The Church history class touched on the Church's hegemony during the Dark Ages and the power struggle between secular rulers and the Pope. That was about it. I left high school with a general, but biased knowledge of the politics of the age, but practically no knowledge of Medieval arms, armor, warfare, way of life, etc. It wasn't until a few months ago I had even heard of the Oakeschott typology.

Sir Rodney:
The public high school where my wife teaches used to have an in-depth medieval history curriculum across several disciplines.

The science teachers would teach about communicable diseases and estimate the rate of spread.
The history teachers would really dig into the subject matter.
The shop classes would teach woodworking skills and make shields.
The art classes would paint period banners.
The music classes would learn period music.
I would bring in my equipment and do the “How a Knight shall be armed” show.
At the end, 2,000 kids would have a medieval fair and fill the halls with booths displaying their knowledge, skills, crafts, and sell foods to raise money for various student organizations.  It was completely awesome.  Kids were running around in period(ish) garb everywhere.  Then it ended after a few years and they haven’t done it since.   :(

Two other members of my local SCA group are 4th grade teachers at charter schools.  They are afforded the latitude to teach medieval history in great detail.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2014-02-06, 03:46:56 ---The public high school where my wife teaches used to have an in-depth medieval history curriculum across several disciplines.

The science teachers would teach about communicable diseases and estimate the rate of spread.
The history teachers would really dig into the subject matter.
The shop classes would teach woodworking skills and make shields.
The art classes would paint period banners.
The music classes would learn period music.
I would bring in my equipment and do the “How a Knight shall be armed” show.
At the end, 2,000 kids would have a medieval fair and fill the halls with booths displaying their knowledge, skills, crafts, and sell foods to raise money for various student organizations.  It was completely awesome.  Kids were running around in period(ish) garb everywhere.  Then it ended after a few years and they haven’t done it since.   :(

Two other members of my local SCA group are 4th grade teachers at charter schools.  They are afforded the latitude to teach medieval history in great detail.

--- End quote ---

I wish i was there to witness that  :'( that legit sounds like the coolest thing ever. If I only i could change things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version