"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Greetings from Maryland  (Read 21997 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Greetings from Maryland
« Reply #15 on: 2014-02-05, 15:28:35 »
Thorsteinn, despite my degree in History, I somehow found myself involved in IT support. Go figure. Though I can't complain; the paychecks now enable me to buy copious amounts of historical stuff.

Huzzah to that!

And welcome. :D

Now that we've covered the introduction and welcomes... what would you like us to help spend your money on first? 8)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-02-05, 18:55:41 »
Welcome to the forums!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2014-02-05, 21:33:05 »
Thank you all for the kind welcome. Can't wait to start completing my kit. I've already found a host of useful info on this site!
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2014-02-05, 22:52:17 »
lol. just remember you don't have to ask for permission to buy something. we're not that type of group.

but, if you have a look that you like, and want to be as period as possible, or be period with some modern cheats, ask away. some of us have been at this for 15 or so years and know this vendor or that short cut that could end up saving you thousands in the long run.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-02-05, 22:56:36 »
lol. just remember you don't have to ask for permission to buy something. we're not that type of group.

but, if you have a look that you like, and want to be as period as possible, or be period with some modern cheats, ask away. some of us have been at this for 15 or so years and know this vendor or that short cut that could end up saving you thousands in the long run.

Takes his word for it. This forum has been great in helping me become more to the period I shoot for.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2014-02-05, 23:26:17 »
I'm currently going for a Hospitaller kit circa 13th century. I've got some butted maille that'll have to do for now until I can afford riveted. I made my own soft kit, but am not satisfied with it, so I need to get a new one. I've got a helm, shoes, and a sword (no scabbard). I've got a whole laundry list of things I need/want, but I think that's another topic for another thread.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2014-02-06, 07:03:23 »
I'm currently going for a Hospitaller kit circa 13th century. I've got some butted maille that'll have to do for now until I can afford riveted. I made my own soft kit, but am not satisfied with it, so I need to get a new one. I've got a helm, shoes, and a sword (no scabbard). I've got a whole laundry list of things I need/want, but I think that's another topic for another thread.

Welcome to the club. I'm gonna be getting riveted soon enough. Maybe even a Teutonic surcoat.
Do you have a surcoat yet?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #22 on: 2014-02-06, 16:21:02 »
I've got a whole laundry list of things I need/want, but I think that's another topic for another thread.

Heh, I think we all have one of those. Funny how, no matter how many things you cross off said list, it still always seems to get longer. Curious. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2014-02-06, 16:47:24 »

Put it all on and snap a few pics, let's see what you've got.  One thing I have learned is that modern interpretation in a general sense is usually wrong unless it is backed by historical application.  I'll give you an example; a lot of the surcoats you can get off the rack are either too short, too long, not tailored, too baggy or what have you depending on the period you're shooting for.  The undergarments that lay against your body, the arming clothes that protect said body from the armor above it- all of these things actually make a difference, not only in looks and authenticity but in how it all comes together.  I'm finding that most OTR stuff isn't a good fit for me, so I'm having to go the custom route.

My current project is a 13th Century English knight, circa 1240-1299; I'm not up for joining the 14C Mafia just yet!  In any event, what this means is I'm to start from the ground up- everything; from correct shoes and undergarments (linen chausses, braies, undertunic), to arming gambeson, period correct maille hauberk (still not sure on integral coif or not as there's examples of both, and then there's the mittens), surcoat w/my heraldry, helm (with appropriate heraldry if applicable), sword, blazoned shield.  And that's just for on-foot.  I'm reasonably certain I'll not be acquiring a horse anytime soon so I won't need tack and saddle, but I'm still going to get a lance and a pair of gold-plated spurs.  I'm sure I've missed something but this is just off  the top of my head.

If I bother to add it all up, I'll probably go nuts so this is a 'get as I go' type of thing, which is what a lot of us do.  Above all- have fun with it.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-06, 16:47:56 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2014-02-06, 22:07:43 »
Being a reenactor and a history graduate, I'm obsessed with authenticity. I would agree that off the rack items are never accurate. Hell, the rifle I use in Civil War reenacting is still far from accurate as far as minute details and markings go. But on the other hand, I have a budget. I would love custom made items as my sewing skills are pretty crappy and I don't even want to know how bad my leather working skills are. Custom made stuff can be three times the price though. So I'm fine settling with OTR and adjusting it as needed. But really, I just need some guidance on where to go and what to get. My biggest concern at the moment is a scabbard and a new shield. Though I think I'll attempt to make those.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2014-02-06, 22:08:07 »
I'll post some pictures when I can

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #26 on: 2014-02-07, 00:37:37 »
everytime some one promises pictures of kits and doesn't do it, a turtle gets hit with a hammer

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2014-02-07, 01:34:45 »
I swear upon my honor as a Christian knight fighting for the freedom of the Holy Land and the destruction of the infidel. You will get those pictures.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #28 on: 2014-02-07, 01:45:39 »
everytime some one promises pictures of kits and doesn't do it, a turtle gets hit with a hammer

And then you feast on the sweet, sweet turtle meat inside?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #29 on: 2014-02-07, 03:50:07 »

Is it the apocryphal "ban hammer"? ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )