Main > The Round Table

My confusion on Men at Arms, and Knights.

<< < (6/9) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-03, 20:35:31 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-02-03, 17:26:28 ---pigsssssssss innnnnnnnn sssppppppppppppaaaaaacccceeeeeeeeee

--- End quote ---

Hahaa, OHHH the memories that brings back.

--- End quote ---

Remember the Star Wars one?

Alright so men at arms are anyone that bears arms.
Except the French. They are just, At arms
There is no men in French.

Thorsteinn:
Ok two fictional ones then:

The Doctor.

B5 Rangers.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2014-02-03, 23:13:55 ---Ok two fictional ones then:

The Doctor.

B5 Rangers.

--- End quote ---

Instead of that what are your thoughts on huscarls and condotierri.  You posted the question, I'm curious what you think.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-02-03, 23:42:34 ---
--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2014-02-03, 23:13:55 ---Ok two fictional ones then:

The Doctor.

B5 Rangers.

--- End quote ---

Instead of that what are your thoughts on huscarls and condotierri.  You posted the question, I'm curious what you think.

--- End quote ---

Not directly addressing me, but since Condotierri fall in one of my armor styles of interest - I'd classify them as Men At Arms. They were typically mercenaries / hired hands. They focused on either flat out battlefield combat (as leaders), or political battles. It's not a subject I've read much about, but nothing chivalrous comes to mind.

Huscarls, I'm curious about. The fictional stuff, not so much.

Ian:
So was Sir John Hawkwood not a knight?  You kind of jumped on the one category (condottierri) where we undoubtedly know there were knights being contracted by the Italian city-states.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version