Main > The Round Table

"Truth?"

<< < (5/5)

Sir William:
Sir Brian's correction puts Sir Ian's response right on the mark.  I would not call it absurd- but i suspect he does because he may have no experience in what it is like to be ostracized due to not being viewed as 'normal'.  For Thorsteinn, it is a psychological issue, for me it was racial.  The two are not the same, of course, but I do have an idea of what he's referring to. 

Unfortunately, Sir Ian's viewpoint is the 'norm' as it were and as he said, conformity is the order of the day if you wish to be accepted by society at large.

Due to the largely mystifying nature of psychological disorder for the average layman, there's no way to apply a cookie-cutter quick fix to any one issue; while I can understand and even to a degree empathize with what Thorsteinn is feeling, I must say that it isn't going to happen.  In fact, the only people willing to go that extra mile so to speak, are people who are empathic to the ordeal of people afflicted so, or people who are directly involved with such a person.  Anyone else, be it in ignorance or lack of desire or fear will not.

FWIW, I am no different, Thorsteinn.  If I did not have the pleasure of knowing you from this board and the AA, I doubt I would've bothered to learn about Asperger's or how it affects people; I have much to think about as it is in my already-crammed brain so adding to it isn't something I go out of my way to do, however, I felt it necessary so I could better understand you.  If it weren't personal, to a degree, I am reasonably certain I would not have taken the time.

Sir Patrick:
As we Aspies go many miles out of our way every moment of every day for NT's is it so much to expect an NT to come some way towards us? Would you be asking this question if my disability were visible?

Bolding is from Thorsteinn's quote (couldn't get just that part in).

I think some of the problem is that people just don't even know there is a problem when they can't readily see it. I'm in healthcare, and I encounter the gamut of personalities all day long. Some of them have legitimate behavioral issues and I always make accommodations for that once I know, and others are just jerks (who do not accommodate as much). My point is I have the luxury of a medical chart to give me a heads up, your man on the street does not. I would like to think most people would try to be accommodating if they knew what was up, but then again most people aren't like the Modern Chivalry crew.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-01-17, 19:46:22 ---Sir Brian's correction puts Sir Ian's response right on the mark.  I would not call it absurd- but i suspect he does because he may have no experience in what it is like to be ostracized due to not being viewed as 'normal'.

--- End quote ---

Ha! I wish this were true. I say it's absurd because as a person who has most definitely experienced this first hand I had to accept that the world will not bend and change for me and it would be ridiculous for me to expect it to.  You have to decide whether you will simply accept that the world will not go out of its way to understand what makes you a unique snowflake and just move on with your life , or you must modify your own behavior or whatever it is in your case (if that's even possible) if your desire to be accepted by a group is so strong that just moving on is not something you're willing to do.

Aiden of Oreland:
•"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."-Buddha

•"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."-Henry David Thoreau

•"March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection. March on, and fear not the thorns, or the sharp stones on life's path."-Khalil Gibran

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-01-17, 22:03:25 ---As we Aspies go many miles out of our way every moment of every day for NT's is it so much to expect an NT to come some way towards us? Would you be asking this question if my disability were visible?

Bolding is from Thorsteinn's quote (couldn't get just that part in).

I think some of the problem is that people just don't even know there is a problem when they can't readily see it. I'm in healthcare, and I encounter the gamut of personalities all day long. Some of them have legitimate behavioral issues and I always make accommodations for that once I know, and others are just jerks (who do not accommodate as much). My point is I have the luxury of a medical chart to give me a heads up, your man on the street does not. I would like to think most people would try to be accommodating if they knew what was up, but then again most people aren't like the Modern Chivalry crew.

--- End quote ---

Very well said.

Thorsteinn, are most of your friends making some effort towards your aspergers? If so, they know what others can't see; as you said, it isn't visible. It's a bit like asking why people are so rude that they won't even wave at the ghosts walking down the street with them. If they can't see it, they can't be expected to act upon it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version