Main > The Round Table

"Truth?"

(1/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:

Thought this might spark a discussion.

Also do you agree with the statement "That which can be destroyed by the truth should be." (P.C. Hodgell, 'Seeker's Mask')

Aiden of Oreland:
 He does make an excellent point and the code of chivalry also states that one must always tell the truth. But, I think there is always a time and place to tell the truth. Whether it to tell when it is ready to be told or not. That said, sometimes times the best time to tell the trutg is now, for you may never have another chance. In he quote "That which can be destroyed by truth should be." I say let justice be done, the truth can always hurt, but this is a trial through life. Sometimes one can get away with the truth, but not the whole truth. On the other, do you agree with "ignorance is bliss."?

Thorsteinn:
Ignorance is bliss because Rose Colored Glasses keep you from seeing the blood.

Sir Edward:

To me, dying at 84 is not a "surprise" or "tragic", it's "winning the game". ;) The average life expectancy in the US (as of 2011) is 78.64. For women, it's 81. As far as I'm concerned, if you beat the average, you've done well.

Anyway, I wish you luck on getting it all straightened out with the family. I see what you're saying about there never being a good time, so it's "always" a good time.

Luckily I've never had major grievances to deal with in my family, so I'm probably not the best at giving advice for this. But I think your feelings on the matter should probably guide the way. That is, if you feel it's important to have it acknowledged, then by all means, do what you can to get it out and the open and talk it out.

My feeling is that old wounds will continue to fester. It's best to discuss things as soon as possible, otherwise you just build resentment that grows with time.

One possible counter-argument however is that some people are incapable of admitting their contribution to a problem, or will never change their behavior. In such cases, you have to decide how much you want them to remain in your life, and whether sweeping things under the rug is sufficiently justified.

Ian:
What is your own contribution to the problems you deal with now?  Is all the responsibility split between your parents or do you bare some of the burden as well?  You lightly touch on your past alluding to interactions with your middle brother, but you don't give us much insight beyond that.  It suggests that perhaps there's more to the story than you let on.  More truth?

I notice a recurring theme in a lot of your videos.  There seems to be a general expectation that the neurotypical are somehow bound to go out of their way to understand you.  Is this so?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version