"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Heraldry choice  (Read 8906 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Heraldry choice
« Reply #15 on: 2014-01-09, 14:33:31 »
Quote from: Feudal Coats of Arms by Joseph Foster

Azure, a bend per bend indented argent and gules plain cotised of the second, between six lyonceux rampant or

This blazon is for the Sir Edmund de Bohun version (with the red "bendlets" flanking the white bend).

edited to add:

Typically the blazon would not state the exact placement or division of the charges unless unusual.  In this case it would be redundant to say “between six lions rampant gold, three and three”.  It’s assumed that three lions will be above the bend and three below.  Their exact placement is the artists attempt to best fill the oddly shaped available space.

Thanks, I didn't have time to google it yesterday. It's as I suspected, they're just accommodating the escutcheon rather than specifying two separate layouts on either side.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-09, 19:01:30 »
I just stumbled on this artifact that sold at auction.  I would have loved to have a shot at it, but who knows what it sold for.  This harness pendent carries the same arraingment as the heater shield.  Here is the description:

Rare Medieval 'Humphrey de Bohun, 4th Earl of Hereford and Essex' Heraldic Harness Pendant 024483

Copper-alloy with gilding, 10.90 grams, 33.45 mm. Circa 13th-14th century AD. A cast copper-alloy horse harness pendant with the remains of the transverse pierced lug attachment above. The pendant is in the form of a heater shield bearing the arms of Humphrey de Bohun, 4th Earl of Hereford and Essex (1276 – 16 March 1322) who was born at Pleshey Castle, Essex. Humphrey (VII) de Bohun succeeded his father as Earl of Hereford and Earl of Essex, Constable of England and the title of Bearer of the Swan Badge, a heraldic device passed down in the Bohun family. This device did not appear on their coat of arms but is featured on the personal seal. Humphrey was one of the leading military commanders of the day, taking part in Edward I's campaigns in Scotland, as well as many tournaments where he earnt a reputation for gallantry. Humphrey later became a bitter enemy of the king, promoting the reforms of the Ordinances. He was killed in battle at Boroughbridge, leading an advance across the bridge when one of the enemy pikemen thrust upwards and skewered him. Reference: Read, B. Metal Artefacts of Antiquity, vol.1, Langport, 2001 items 408-16. Very fine condition, gilding intact. Provenance: from an old English collection, found near Norham castle, Northumberland, guarding one of the key crossings of the River Tweed.

From: http://www.time-lines.co.uk/medieval-humphrey-de-bohun-4th-earl-of-hereford-and-essex-heraldic-harness-pendant-024483-35606-0.html
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-09, 19:06:25 »
Wow, how wonderful would it have been to own something like that!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #18 on: 2014-01-09, 23:38:08 »
Cousin Timothy,

De Bohun was one of several knights honored on a set of china back in the 1970s.  "Great knights of England" or some such.   Plates, mugs, teacups etc. I was able to snag one of the mugs off Ebay.

Thanks for the heads up as  I just bought  Sir John de Warenne. This one would be the brother to my 21st GGM Alice de Warenne Countess of Arundel
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .