"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: "Truth?"  (Read 14166 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
"Truth?"
« on: 2014-01-14, 00:22:29 »

Thought this might spark a discussion.

Also do you agree with the statement "That which can be destroyed by the truth should be." (P.C. Hodgell, 'Seeker's Mask')
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: "Truth?"
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-14, 05:20:17 »
 He does make an excellent point and the code of chivalry also states that one must always tell the truth. But, I think there is always a time and place to tell the truth. Whether it to tell when it is ready to be told or not. That said, sometimes times the best time to tell the trutg is now, for you may never have another chance. In he quote "That which can be destroyed by truth should be." I say let justice be done, the truth can always hurt, but this is a trial through life. Sometimes one can get away with the truth, but not the whole truth. On the other, do you agree with "ignorance is bliss."?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-14, 06:46:24 »
Ignorance is bliss because Rose Colored Glasses keep you from seeing the blood.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-14, 16:07:08 »

To me, dying at 84 is not a "surprise" or "tragic", it's "winning the game". ;) The average life expectancy in the US (as of 2011) is 78.64. For women, it's 81. As far as I'm concerned, if you beat the average, you've done well.

Anyway, I wish you luck on getting it all straightened out with the family. I see what you're saying about there never being a good time, so it's "always" a good time.

Luckily I've never had major grievances to deal with in my family, so I'm probably not the best at giving advice for this. But I think your feelings on the matter should probably guide the way. That is, if you feel it's important to have it acknowledged, then by all means, do what you can to get it out and the open and talk it out.

My feeling is that old wounds will continue to fester. It's best to discuss things as soon as possible, otherwise you just build resentment that grows with time.

One possible counter-argument however is that some people are incapable of admitting their contribution to a problem, or will never change their behavior. In such cases, you have to decide how much you want them to remain in your life, and whether sweeping things under the rug is sufficiently justified.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-14, 16:50:48 »
What is your own contribution to the problems you deal with now?  Is all the responsibility split between your parents or do you bare some of the burden as well?  You lightly touch on your past alluding to interactions with your middle brother, but you don't give us much insight beyond that.  It suggests that perhaps there's more to the story than you let on.  More truth?

I notice a recurring theme in a lot of your videos.  There seems to be a general expectation that the neurotypical are somehow bound to go out of their way to understand you.  Is this so?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-14, 17:51:03 »
One possible counter-argument however is that some people are incapable of admitting their contribution to a problem, or will never change their behavior. In such cases, you have to decide how much you want them to remain in your life, and whether sweeping things under the rug is sufficiently justified.

Bolded; when dealing with people of this nature, I have found it to be more beneficial to 'love them from afar'.  They're family, they'll always be family but I can't be bothered w/people who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions and subsequent occurrences.  Good to see them at family events, but I don't want to get embroiled in needless drama.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-14, 20:06:05 »
Who is the man in the video?
« Last Edit: 2014-01-14, 20:06:55 by Sir Aiden »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-14, 20:09:32 »
What is your own contribution to the problems you deal with now?  Is all the responsibility split between your parents or do you bare some of the burden as well?  You lightly touch on your past alluding to interactions with your middle brother, but you don't give us much insight beyond that.  It suggests that perhaps there's more to the story than you let on.  More truth?

Bolding mine. This is an excellent point to bring up as well. Without going further into what the actual problem/disagreement is, I think it's useful to approach things with this in mind. Often it's hard to acknowledge our own contributions to disagreements, but it's often necessary in order to resolve things. Sometimes, the problem comes from a misunderstanding on the parts of both parties.

Neat quote from Babylon 5:  "Understanding is a three-edged sword" ... referring to "my side", "your side", and "the truth". :)

Who is the man in the video?

That is Thorsteinn.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-14, 20:14:59 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-14, 20:43:45 »
Ah Thorsteinn, you like arrows right, Heres something "When one has an arrow in him he has two options, leave the arrow in the body or remove it." Interpret it as you all will. If explaining is needed I will explain.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-14, 20:55:10 by Sir Aiden »

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-14, 21:05:39 »
Im a truthful person. I don't lie or hide things from parents or teachers.
I believe the Truth should be revealed within in this time frame a few weeks. Perhaps telling the truth is not a matter of having a good or best time. It is when it's most Important to share the truth as when it should be done. I if in a position of revealing something to someone I'd tell them before or during the time that is right. Perhaps you'll know when the best time is. 
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-14, 21:56:05 »
Also do you agree with the statement "That which can be destroyed by the truth should be." (P.C. Hodgell, 'Seeker's Mask')

Tell kids the easter bunny isn't real?
Santa?
Tooth fairy?

The only absolute truth is that there are no absolute truths. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-14, 22:00:59 »
Sir James, not to be a stickler but that is a logical fallacy ;)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-14, 22:24:12 »

Hence it's appropriateness.

Or lack thereof.

Nobody said philosphy is easy. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-01-15, 03:10:31 »

Hence it's appropriateness.

Or lack thereof.

Nobody said philosphy is easy. :D

I agree it's not easy, I have Finally Managed to stop stressing myself with it, and look to some of Tolkiens Ways.

The Truth should be unveiled, Or it will unveil itself Worse In the Future.
Imagine being 30 and you find out batman isn't actually real.
Bad things will happen.
I have an Idea that could help determine the truth. I find the best teachings in story's.
Find a story with a moral of truth, Perhaps then the Decision will be a clear one.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-15, 03:11:22 by Sir Nate »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-17, 02:20:45 »
Quote from: Sir Edward

Does not the Path demand that I give them the chacne to be in my & My daughters life?

Quote from: Sir Ian
What is your own contribution to the problems you deal with now?

Poor timing due to choice & issues beyond my control (PCS is a bitch)

Is all the responsibility split between your parents or do you bare some of the burden as well?

They bare responsibility for their actions & choices, as I was a child for most of what happened do I bare responsibility? I took up part of their burden when they refused to do right by my brother & I stepped in to help solve that.

You lightly touch on your past alluding to interactions with your middle brother, but you don't give us much insight beyond that.  It suggests that perhaps there's more to the story than you let on.  More truth?

Yes, but it was not conducive to the story or question at hand. Especially in the interests of time. In this case I was looking not to assert a Fact, but to raise a question & start a discussion. So far I've only been successful here.

I notice a recurring theme in a lot of your videos.  There seems to be a general expectation that the neurotypical are somehow bound to go out of their way to understand you. Is this so?

As we Aspies go many miles out of our way every moment of every day for NT's is it so much to expect an NT to come some way towards us? Would you be asking this question if my disability were visible?

I try to say the things other Aspie's and HFA's can't & to answer the questions NT's want to know about as best I can even though, as my lady can attest, my translation skills are not great. I'm much better at translating NT-to-Aspie rather than Aspie-to-NT, though I'm trying hard to improve that & fully admit that I'm horrid if I'm the Aspie needing translation.