Main > The Round Table

Heraldry choice

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir James A:
As Sir Edward said, there's the "legal" entitlement to heraldry, and the "using it in honor of" sort of thing. I based mine off historical surname heraldry, but I claim no direct tie or historicity to it. Bloodlines doesn't show first born, second born, etc, and there was rules with first-born son inheriting the father's heraldry, but not the second son, and such.

Sir Humphrey:
The strip is not as wide in every version that I've seen.  Here is one off of a tomb, although I don't know if it is contemporary with the de Bohun tomb occupant.

Sir Wolf:
woah cool

Sir Edward:

Yeah, even with the thinner bend, it still looks like they're accommodating the escutcheon (heater shape). I'd love to see the official blazon, if there is one, to see if it specifically describes the layout of the lions, other than just 3 to either side.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Feudal Coats of Arms by Joseph Foster ---
Azure, a bend per bend indented argent and gules plain cotised of the second, between six lyonceux rampant or
--- End quote ---

This blazon is for the Sir Edmund de Bohun version (with the red "bendlets" flanking the white bend).

edited to add:

Typically the blazon would not state the exact placement or division of the charges unless unusual.  In this case it would be redundant to say “between six lions rampant gold, three and three”.  It’s assumed that three lions will be above the bend and three below.  Their exact placement is the artists attempt to best fill the oddly shaped available space.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version