Main > The Round Table

Heraldry choice

(1/4) > >>

Sir Humphrey:
I'll be painting a shield soon and making a surcoat.  I see many folks here design their own heraldry devices.  Is there any ethical reason I can't use one of my ancestrial coat of arms as a basis for my sheild design?  This is will be for living history purposes, I'm not in the SCA or similar organization.  I thinking Beaumont, Courtenay or de Bohun.

Ian:
Only thing to be careful of living history-wise, would be to make sure the coat of arms is appropriate for the time period.  Later period heraldry has expanded rules and can be in some instances more complicated than would have been allowed by earlier rules of heraldry.

Timothy:
So de Bohun,  Courtenay or

Which Beaumont?

Sir Brian:
The first one really catches the eye but the second one would certainly be easier to paint on a shield. I suppose whatever mad 'Pablo Picasso' skills you have should also be taken into consideration. ;)

Sir Humphrey:
Cousin Timothy,

Sir Henry Beaumont. 

I'm shooting for the time of the Scottish Wars.  All three of the men I have in mind were contemporaries.  Sir Henry Beaumont, Sir Humphrey de Bohun and Sir Hugh Courtenay.  Beaumont was the most successful soldier of the three.  Courtenay's family did not rise to prominance until the time of Edward III.  De Bohun was the most colorful and celebrated (usually because of his particularly gory death).   De Bohun was one of several knights honored on a set of china back in the 1970s.  "Great knights of England" or some such.   Plates, mugs, teacups etc. I was able to snag one of the mugs off Ebay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version