"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: 1450s Italian armor from Maxim @ Wild Armoury  (Read 19860 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 1450s Italian armor from Maxim @ Wild Armoury
« Reply #15 on: 2013-12-31, 06:43:12 »
And for those who know me, "James" and "slim" are rarely in the same sentence without the presence of "not". :D

Great!  So the chances of you getting the helmet this year is NOT slim at best, meaning that it is likely!  Can't wait to see the new helmet in October! ;-)

Egads! You caught me. Let me just call up Smiling Orc and add an armet to the list of my commissions. But I forgot, what's your credit card number again?

Sir James, I want you to be Santa next year lol. But wow thats killer kit. I wish I had money to spare lol. ONE DAY!!

I'm more than twice your age, so, not to worry. Time, patience, and hard work. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #16 on: 2013-12-31, 14:16:01 »
So James I have heard that maxim's stuff looks amazing, how is the quality? You think I should trust my noggin in ACL combat to his gear? :)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-12-31, 17:57:25 »
So James I have heard that maxim's stuff looks amazing, how is the quality? You think I should trust my noggin in ACL combat to his gear? :)

Well, that's a loaded question! I saw IceFalcon has been trying to get a helmet replaced by Maxim that broke or something, for 6+ months or so. I'd guess it's a carbon steel helmet; I've heard good and bad about heat treated carbon steel armor from the Ukraine, more along the lines of their steel isn't as consistent so even with proper and consistent heat treating methods, they produce the odd piece here and there that will crack.

That said, I don't think I'd trust my noggin in *any* armor for ACL, because no way would I do ACL at all. :D

I would go with 10 or 12 gauge mild and oversize the helmet to add extra padded. Layer or two of sorbothane on the outside, and horsehair padded on the inside. Mild steel is far less likely to crack; it's going to dent easier than equivalent carbon steel, but they're destroying helmets and armor like a Berserker over there. Even spring stainless, the top tier reasonable metal for armor, seems to get dented and abused.

Granted, it shows that armor REALLY works, because I have no doubt most of those people would be dead if they didn't have armor ... but if you're seriously considering ACL, I'd talk with the guys who do it, and get their opinions. Also, ACL related travel costs will probably be $5k-$10k for a year. One guy who went to BotN last year or the year before did a fundraiser to raise $8k to go to Europe to compete. So the armor is a minor cost, relatively speaking.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #18 on: 2013-12-31, 18:16:20 »

Well, that's a loaded question! I saw IceFalcon has been trying to get a helmet replaced by Maxim that broke or something, for 6+ months or so. I'd guess it's a carbon steel helmet; I've heard good and bad about heat treated carbon steel armor from the Ukraine, more along the lines of their steel isn't as consistent so even with proper and consistent heat treating methods, they produce the odd piece here and there that will crack.

That said, I don't think I'd trust my noggin in *any* armor for ACL, because no way would I do ACL at all. :D

I would go with 10 or 12 gauge mild and oversize the helmet to add extra padded. Layer or two of sorbothane on the outside, and horsehair padded on the inside. Mild steel is far less likely to crack; it's going to dent easier than equivalent carbon steel, but they're destroying helmets and armor like a Berserker over there. Even spring stainless, the top tier reasonable metal for armor, seems to get dented and abused.

Granted, it shows that armor REALLY works, because I have no doubt most of those people would be dead if they didn't have armor ... but if you're seriously considering ACL, I'd talk with the guys who do it, and get their opinions. Also, ACL related travel costs will probably be $5k-$10k for a year. One guy who went to BotN last year or the year before did a fundraiser to raise $8k to go to Europe to compete. So the armor is a minor cost, relatively speaking.

The traveling part is easy to get the wife excited about. As is this year I plan to spend about 8k between traveling and armor if the budget holds!

Definitely would get 3mm Mild Steel :)

I read about the icefalcon thing...it seems icefalcon wanted the helm made out of something else after the break and didnt agree to the change in price. Shrug, I have heard nothing but great stuff from him from the Austrian national team and they use him for all their armor.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #19 on: 2013-12-31, 19:30:06 »
What is ACL combat? It sounds rather painful.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #20 on: 2013-12-31, 19:32:50 »
What is sorbothane? Is there like a spray on version? I looked at the site and it wasn't very clear how it would be applied to a helmet.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2013-12-31, 19:53:21 »

ACL = Armored Combat League.

It's one of the sports that contributes teams to the Battle of the Nations event.  Basically the best groups of ACL form the teams that represent the various countries at BotN.  There are several organizations that do this ultra-violent medieval-esque style combat, and contribute people to BotN, ACL is just one of those organizations.  ACL is mostly the American side, with some other countries, but it varies by nation.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #22 on: 2013-12-31, 20:03:43 »

ACL = Armored Combat League.

It's one of the sports that contributes teams to the Battle of the Nations event.  Basically the best groups of ACL form the teams that represent the various countries at BotN.  There are several organizations that do this ultra-violent medieval-esque style combat, and contribute people to BotN, ACL is just one of those organizations.  ACL is mostly the American side, with some other countries, but it varies by nation.

If I recall correctly ACL is pretty much just America. The IMCF (international medieval combat federation) is the new rival to HMBIA (which hosts BotN) set up by the US (ACL) plus some other countries. It spawned from american discontent with lack of transparency in the HMBIA and lack of power by western europeans in the rules and regulations.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #23 on: 2013-12-31, 20:24:15 »
How'd I miss this thread?  Great harness, Sir James!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2014-01-02, 01:44:46 »
Sir Ian covered ACL.

What is sorbothane?

http://www.sorbothane.com/

It's a visco-elastic membrane that absorbs shock and vibrations. Some kind of +3 to armor enchantment, basically.

How'd I miss this thread?  Great harness, Sir James!

Thank you, Sir Patrick!

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #25 on: 2014-01-02, 02:41:37 »
There is no spray version. ACL won't let you put that on the outside of your helm as it would make it look like rubber instead of steel. You could probably make a liner of it though.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2014-01-02, 02:51:17 »
There is no spray version. ACL won't let you put that on the outside of your helm as it would make it look like rubber instead of steel. You could probably make a liner of it though.

I was confused for a minute, and re-read my original post. Sorry, a liner is indeed what I meant. Sorbothane "outside" as "outside of the padded liner, but inside the helmet itself". If you were looking at the cross-section of the helmet at eye level:

(helmet | sorbothane | horsehair | head | horsehair | sorbothane | helmet)

Or in another way, from inside out: head, then a layer of horsehair padding, then a layer of sorbothane, then the helmet itself.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #27 on: 2014-01-02, 05:24:47 »
Hmmm I might look into that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2014-01-06, 20:42:31 »
I love it!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #29 on: 2014-01-11, 04:55:34 »
Beautiful harness Sir James! I can't wait to get my quillions into it!  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux