Main > The Round Table

Knighly Orders during the Crusades

<< < (2/10) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-11-27, 23:03:21 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2013-11-27, 20:26:41 ---Tuetonic Knights are still an active order.

--- End quote ---

Yep, and so are the Hospitallers, though I think they go by the Order of Malta now. :)
Heh, actually the Order of Santiago is still around as well, and I think the Order of Calatrava lasted until sometime in the 18th or 19th century. It's just the poor Templars that got snuffed out early.

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-11-27, 20:41:51 ---
also learned about the Mongol wars last year, very interesting battles happened.

--- End quote ---

Dan Carlin of Hardcore History did an excellent podcast series about the Mongols. They were seriously scary dudes. The extent of their empire during its height is just astounding.

--- End quote ---

Poor Templars.
Ya the mongol wars are very unheard of. I remember reading about one battle that took place in modern day Poland were it was 40k of Europeans against 80k of mongols. The mongols had light armor and consisted of mostly archers, extremely organized archer which was what made them deadly because, one report states that they used flags to alert there soldiers to do different tactics and there leaders stayed hidden and did not lead there men into combat. But the Europeans probably would have won this battle because of there heavy cavalry that just mowed threw the Mongols infantry. And France had sent Templars there and teutonics also were present at this battle. But sadly the Europeans lost do to someone shouting retreat on there side and a huge section of the army left and the mongols were able to flank the rest. It is unknown wether it was a Mongolian or a European that shouted it, and who it was. It can be believed that a Mongolian did it to throw the enemy off. And I the chaos of battle no one can really tell.

Sir Nate:
Sorry I didn't mean to quote you 3 times lol. It was one of those moments

Sir James A:
The Templars were the "special forces" of the day. They had very strict battle tactics. You didn't leave the battle unless the Templar flag fell. If you did, you were a deserter and other Templars could kill you. There are stories (and some evidence) of Templar battles against the Saracens (or Persians?) in which they were shot, lost hands, lost arms, and otherwise "mortally wounded" but continued to fight for some time. They were the epitome of the "fight to the death" cliche.

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-11-27, 20:41:51 ---The templars last holdout was in scottland, until I heard otherwise from a tourist at the m.d. renfaire telling me they went to an island off the coast of spain. anyone know anything about that?

--- End quote ---

Knights of Malta, on the isle of Malta. General conspiracy theory that many of the Templars fled and joined the Knights of Malta and "blended in" to avoid capture and further persecution. It's somewhat believable in that the Templars had a fleet of over 100 ships, and when they were captured and put to trial, the total number of ships that were taken is.... none.

However, it's a question of semantics. The Templars were subject only to the pope. The pope disbanded the Templar order. As such, "Templar" order does not exist. Whether or not people who were Templars when the Order existed, and whether or not they escaped capture and took relics/secrets/etc, and where they went, and who their descendants may be, are the things in question.

Sir Nathan is the Teutonic order guru.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-28, 14:05:35 ---The Templars were the "special forces" of the day. They had very strict battle tactics. You didn't leave the battle unless the Templar flag fell. If you did, you were a deserter and other Templars could kill you. There are stories (and some evidence) of Templar battles against the Saracens (or Persians?) in which they were shot, lost hands, lost arms, and otherwise "mortally wounded" but continued to fight for some time. They were the epitome of the "fight to the death" cliche.

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-11-27, 20:41:51 ---The templars last holdout was in scottland, until I heard otherwise from a tourist at the m.d. renfaire telling me they went to an island off the coast of spain. anyone know anything about that?

--- End quote ---

Knights of Malta, on the isle of Malta. General conspiracy theory that many of the Templars fled and joined the Knights of Malta and "blended in" to avoid capture and further persecution. It's somewhat believable in that the Templars had a fleet of over 100 ships, and when they were captured and put to trial, the total number of ships that were taken is.... none.

However, it's a question of semantics. The Templars were subject only to the pope. The pope disbanded the Templar order. As such, "Templar" order does not exist. Whether or not people who were Templars when the Order existed, and whether or not they escaped capture and took relics/secrets/etc, and where they went, and who their descendants may be, are the things in question.

Sir Nathan is the Teutonic order guru.

--- End quote ---

Ya I read that the templars morphed with orders like the hospitallers and teutonics, I did here about the malta thing.
ya 100 ships, thousands of men that werent taken or killed. Ive heard a consipracy theory that they came to america, also there is the theory that the free masons are Templars. I think that is even a rank in the free masons.

Lord Dane:
The only current order closest to resembling the traditional Order of the Knights Templar in practice today (after their 1307 demise) is the 'Knights of Christ' (the former Portugal Commandery of the Templar Order). Just thought I would mention that. To associate the Knights Templar with Freemasonry is still presumed (but not necessarily refutable) as many traditions and rituals appear in their methods. It is highly impractical to say they had no influence over them after being disbanded by the Papacy, and found new ways to hide themselves to continue their efforts. I still believe the Templars exist today in their non-traditional forms. Their history is always so intriguing to the masses.

I am one that is convinced the Knights Templars came to America and established themselves here with the expeditions of Prince Henry Sinclair, and possibly even before. I have seen too much of the reported evidence myself being based in New England that to me substantiates the claims. And yes, the Freemasons have a degree rank that encompasses the Templar rite. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version