"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Maille? Who, what, where, when, why?  (Read 5923 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Maille? Who, what, where, when, why?
« on: 2013-11-20, 04:49:40 »
I have to admit, i don't know who invented maille or who first started using it. Also, how did it evolve over time? What centuries used butted? Riveted? Any one got a history on maille? For if I ever plan on buying it I would like to wear it with the right outfit. And a little history on maille would be cool too.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: Maille? Who, what, where, when, why?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-20, 09:11:20 »
Well, I know for a fact that mail goes back to at least Roman times. Look up "lorica hamata". I believe it actually dates back to even before that, though. I've heard it's creation attributed to both the Celts and the Etruscans...not sure which is right. I'd have to guess that it evolved from earlier scale and lamellar armor.

It eventually spread all over the Old World; even to as removed of places as Japan. You could write a book on the different variations of mail around the world and still not be satisfied. But as far as medieval-ish European mail is concerned...let's see if I can get my definitions straight:

The Vikings wore a mail byrnie. Generally, the term "byrnie" refers to a mail shirt with short sleeves and relatively short hemline — about mid-thigh.
The term "hauberk" often refers to a longer mail shirt, sometimes with short sleeves, sometimes with long sleeves. The Normans at the Battle of Hastings would have worn a hauberk that reached down to about the knee. It also seems that at least some if not most Norman-era 'berks had an integrated coif. Chausses started appearing by the end of the 11th century, though they were rare and didn't really become commonplace until about the 12th century. You also started to see variations on ventails — flaps of mail covering the throat or face.
Personally, my favorite style of mail came in around the 12th-13th centuries. This is when knights would be covered head-to-toe in mail. Hauberks often had long sleeves that ended in mail mittens — mufflers — and an integrated coif with a ventail. Some people refer to these as "super-hauberks" to distinguish them from the Norman hauberks, but I've only heard that term a handful of times.

As plate armor began to gain popularity, mail got smaller. Haubergeon usually refers to a later-period, short sleeved mail shirt with a hemline somewhere between a byrnie and a full hauberk. The terminology is really rather imprecise, really. Hauberk and haubergeon are often used interchangeably, and byrnie can be used to refer to Viking mail in general, regardless of construction...it's all very confusing. Plus, there were so many different variations on a single idea. Some long-sleeve 'berks had integrated mufflers, some didn't. Some had an integrated coif, some were separate.

Anyway, by the time plate armor fully took over about 15th century, mail had widely been reduced to a skirt (the name of which I can't think of at the moment), a mail standard to protect the throat, and mail voiders sewn into the arming garment to the armpits. Basically, mail was used wherever it was impractical or difficult to cover with plate. Foot soldiers sometimes still wore some variety of mail shirt. Some helmets had a mail aventail hanging from them.

That's kind of it in a nutshell. A very large nutshell; there's a lot you could get into when discussing the history of mail. It eventually fell out of favor, of course but it still used now and then even today for reasons other than historical reenactment. Like this guy:

A mailled man is a man happy. ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-20, 09:14:26 by DouglasTheYounger »
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-20, 11:08:53 »
Doug's pretty spot on!  The term 'haubergeon' literally translates to 'little hauberk' that's why today we use it to mean the shorter version of a full knee length, long-sleeved hauberk.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-20, 13:56:30 »
I too am curious about the transition of the type of rings and when it went from butted to riveted maile.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-20, 14:17:26 »
I too am curious about the transition of the type of rings and when it went from butted to riveted maile.

As far as I know, it was always riveted (as far as surviving examples go). It's simply not strong enough when butted.

We also have to remember that for a large part of the relevant history, the quality of steel wasn't very good, and it would frequently be a softer iron, making the rivets completely necessary.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-20, 14:18:18 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-20, 16:05:13 »
As far as ring types go, flattened ring alternating with punched rings seems to have  been normal through the crusader period.  So, you'd have one row of riveted rings alternating with solid rings (basically iron washers).  Some time in the 14th century it switched to all riveted rings as the norm.  And some time in the 13th century I believe the rivets in many locales were wedge rivets as opposed to the older round rivets.  Round rivets can be found at all times as far as I know, but wedge rivets appeared later and then existed alongside round rivets.

But maille is not a linear progression, a lot of different styles of maille were used at the same time, so it's hard to make generalizations.  Butted maille armor exists too, I believe the Indians used butted maille for protection.  In order for butted maille to actually serve as armor it requires it be made from a significantly heavy gauge of drawn wire, otherwise it will just fall apart  on contact with a weapon, but this makes it significantly heavier than riveted maille.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-20, 20:10:51 »
Oh ok, so i was always wondering that. Cool! Thank you for that. I always wondered what the brief history of maille was.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-10, 03:49:57 »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-10, 12:49:11 »
I remember reading that celtic and germanic maille was made from all coiled rings, just half of them were forge welded shut the other half riveted. I am not sure if some examples were entirely riveted but I remember reading something like this a while back. The Romans had the ability to manufacture iron sheets which they punched them instead speeding up the process quite a bit. That remained pretty standards though forge welding was still used by some places all the way up to the demise of maille. I also read wedge riveted maille existed because wedge rivets were easier to manufacture than dome rivets and again it sped up the process so most of Europe switched to that in the later medieval period. Dome riveted was used anywhere from Roman all the way to the demise of maille though it was round rather than flattened until the 1300s with flat punched rings. There were also types of maille which you cant get anywhere such as staple riveted maille where the rings are riveted by a staple like rivet. There was also double riveted maille where 2 rivets are placed instead of one AND triple riveted maille where theres 1 big rivet 2 smaller ones.