"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)  (Read 69561 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: My Kit...14th Century for CotT (SCA Legal)
« Reply #30 on: 2013-11-27, 18:24:57 »
Those price quotes seem about right.  No offense to Mad Matt, but photo comparisons between his work and The Surly Anvil explain the difference in price.  The Surly Anvil's pieces are much more historic in shape and line, and therefore considerably more difficult to craft.  You're paying not only for the material and level of finishing, but the skill required to make these things.  At the end of the day the people who make more historically shaped armor are always going to have what seem like significantly higher prices than the armorers who cater to the munitions market.

The Surly Anvil also does total fantasy pieces, but even on those the shaping and finishing is done to a much higher caliber.

As far as a good splinted spring armorer, 3 months ago I would have pointed you to Erik at Wintertree Crafts, but he's on hiatus for a good long while.  He only works in spring as far as I know, and pays attention to both historical shaping and the SCA requirements.  But it's moot for the next 18 months.

**EDIT**
If JUST for splinted stuff, 6k is a bit high, that helmet alone could be around $2K + but if it's all splinted, that's still a bit steep.  As we talked about on facebook, let us know when you get a line-item breakdown of a quote from him and we'll have a better feel for what that money is going to.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-27, 20:03:07 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2013-11-27, 18:46:48 »
My $0.02: If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the 12 ga mild instead of the 14 ga Stainless for my helm. Maintenance would have been easier and while Stainless is harder it doesn't flex as much and thus doesn't absorb energy as well.

I find that, for helms, Stainless is actually sub optimal for the same thickness, for in deformation there is energy absorption. My next helm won't be stainless, for even though there are only 4 dents in this hat after 4 years I would rather it had dented more. My head & neck would be happier.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-11-27, 18:47:55 »
What about Anshelm? Clang? or Icefalcon?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #33 on: 2013-11-27, 21:18:02 »
Aye I am going to send out some feelers and get an idea of the market for Spring Steel splinted armor set. Also going to talk with John Gruber on the phone and get a break down of his quote.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2013-11-28, 14:20:32 »
I think I have a spare kidney...it is amazing to see how prices vary from armorer to armorer.

The Surly Anvil (John Gruber) quoted me for a Bascinet and shovel visor, splinted arms, legs, greaves and shoulders and a COP (for some reason made of Spring instead of simple mild which really is all that is needed) about 6k and if I wanted fingered spring steel gauntlets 1500 more...

Mad Matt about 2k. Although maybe that didn't include the bascinet made of Spring Steel...but I cant see why that would raise the price that much more (It had a great helm in the quote instead of the bascinet and visor).

Anyone know a good place to get splinted spring steel armor?

Thanks,
Jorge

I paid a bit over $2K for a spring steel leg harness (upper leg, greaves, sabatons). Doesn't include body, shoulders, arms, gauntlets or helmets, just the legs. Spring steel is expensive, no way in getting around that. As Sir Ian has said, if you're getting cheaper armor, it's likely due to less focus on historical lines, less experience in armoring, less refined pattern, etc - there are some exceptions, such as those making armor as a hobby are cheaper than those as a business - but that also tends to relate to the experience level as well. Generally speaking, like most things, you get what you pay for; it's up to you to decide what you want from the armor as far as quality, durability, accuracy, fitment, etc.

If you didn't talk directly to Mad Matt, prices on his site are way out of date. He hasn't updated it in at least a year, maybe more.

Aye I am going to send out some feelers and get an idea of the market for Spring Steel splinted armor set. Also going to talk with John Gruber on the phone and get a break down of his quote.

John Gruber at Surly Anvil is reasonably priced for spring steel work. Yes, it's expensive relative to mild steel - but that's still apples and oranges. He's also been making armor for quite a while, fights in armor he makes, and has good attention to historical details. I don't have any armor from him yet but have discussed something for when I've saved up enough later.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #35 on: 2013-11-29, 21:23:48 »
Belemrys,

Towards the bottom of this thread, Maxim of WildArmoury has a cool set of splinted arms and legs for sale done in tempered spring steel for a very good price.  Might be worth looking at:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166593

I been talking to Maxim and he seems to have very good prices and likes to do custom work to fit the effigy I want to use...I wonder what you guys have heard about him and his work...he does a lot of the work on wool instead of leather...which is historical but less lasting...he can do it in leather he says so it isnt a major problem or anything but yeah...he also said that for shoulders for the Schwarzburger effigy they arent really shown but he suggesting getting some like these: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943075_595992650419724_1620617555_n.jpg

It has an air about it that I like but not sure how it will mix with all the splinted stuff...it would have extra plates with it he said for protection...not sure what mechanism he is looking to employ and before I commit to anything I would want to see how it looks when worn...

Anyhow any reviews on Maxim and his work?

Here is an album of the splinted stuff he makes: https://www.facebook.com/maxim.suprovich/media_set?set=a.416423661709958.100894.100000269843814&type=3

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2013-11-30, 06:03:38 »
I've got a set of blackened spring steel legs from Maxim. Good stuff. I've also got a set of mild steel cuisses, arms, and pauldrons on the way. Shipped a week or two ago, but it's a gamble with when it will get delivered from the Ukraine. Sometimes it's a couple weeks, sometimes 8+ ... all depends on customs. Will let you know more when I get the armor.

His communication is great, even with the language barrier. Haven't fought in any of his armor, but articulation is good.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2013-11-30, 12:52:55 »
Yeah, you'll see a lot of people on the AA whine about shipping from the Ukraine, but 99% of the time their beef is with US customs, not the Ukrainian shipper.  I've had several items sent from overseas and have had minimal issue.  I actually have an item from Poland that just cleared customs yesterday and it only took 2 days to process through.

USPS.com will now track international shipping labels also, so you can see exactly when it hits New York and how long they drag their asses.  If you find an overseas dealer that will ship UPS or FedEx, those services have their own in-house customs inspection sites and they are much faster.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #38 on: 2013-11-30, 14:20:47 »
Have any of you used age of craft? They have a set of splinted stuff that they use my exact effigy as the source. Except they don't have the fluted knee cops...if shipping were not such a big issue with armor I would want to piecemeal my set. Age of craft have spring steel cops for under 400 usd! But their other stuff is a bit more expensive...and their linen gambeson with sheep wool batting is only 95 usd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #39 on: 2013-12-01, 14:09:24 »
just a heads up with splinted armour. be mindful of rust. it is a lot harder to clean splints on leather. you will have a tendency to tear up the leather.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2013-12-02, 15:53:39 »
just a heads up with splinted armour. be mindful of rust. it is a lot harder to clean splints on leather. you will have a tendency to tear up the leather.

One reason I went for stainless with my splint. :D

Carbon/spring steel doesn't seem to rust as quickly or badly as mild will.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #41 on: 2013-12-02, 19:34:52 »
Bleh I am starting to rethink the whole Splinted Armor thing...it looks like armorers really don't care to work with leather and charge a premium for it...getting a steel set might be cheaper and provide better coverage/protection (the larger the piece of steel the less impact goes through and splints by definition are going to absorb less of the damage).

I think I might go look at some english effigies around the same time and to get the full steel arms and legs with maybe some leather cuisses and a leather CoP.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #42 on: 2013-12-02, 19:36:42 »
the price on leather has sky rocketed here lately. its nuts

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #43 on: 2013-12-02, 21:06:09 »
the price on leather has sky rocketed here lately. its nuts

Ugh...don't I know it.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2013-12-03, 18:18:19 »
Come to the "plate" side... we have... cookies.