"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Great-Helm (Valentine Armory)  (Read 6979 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Great-Helm (Valentine Armory)
« on: 2013-11-15, 15:48:45 »

Joe Metz is selling the same model of great helm that I have. This is a really good helm. Very few of the "off the rack" great helms have the right sort of subtleties and angles, particularly in the face. This one really gets it right.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202419965291062&set=gm.610930432307531&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Great-Helm (Valentine Armory)
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-15, 20:49:16 »
Would that qualify for 13th or 14th C?  Ahhh, not that it matters...I don't do FB and I'm not going to create an acct just to get that hat.  Albeit a very nice hat.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-15, 20:52:57 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-15, 21:08:30 »
Alas, only 16g...for SCA I would need 12 top and 14 sides as a general rule...but it is nice!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-15, 21:23:30 »
Would that qualify for 13th or 14th C?  Ahhh, not that it matters...I don't do FB and I'm not going to create an acct just to get that hat.  Albeit a very nice hat.

I'm fairly confident Joe won't require you get a facebook account if you're interested in that helm Sir William.  :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-15, 21:55:29 »

It's appropriate from the end of the 13th to the early part of the 14th. That style of great helm first started appearing around the 1270's and is probably still viable through the 1320's.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-15, 23:24:55 »

I'm fairly confident Joe won't require you get a facebook account if you're interested in that helm Sir William.  :)

Seconded.

It's cool you don't mind missing out on all the fantastic armor pictures. And stuff for sale. Stay away from FB when there's so much armor and medieval goodness abound that isn't posted elsewhere? I couldn't do it, but, that's just me. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-18, 14:17:23 »

Seconded.

It's cool you don't mind missing out on all the fantastic armor pictures. And stuff for sale. Stay away from FB when there's so much armor and medieval goodness abound that isn't posted elsewhere? I couldn't do it, but, that's just me. ;)

Can't miss what you don't see, Sir James.  ;)
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-30, 19:16:25 »
This is an old thread, but in case someone sees and it interested this helm now resides at my manor in Alabamashire.  Proud to have it!
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-31, 03:24:40 »
Congratulations!  A piece from Valentine is something to be cherished.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-31, 15:59:42 »
I'm glad you got it, Humphrey...I was slowly coming round to the idea of picking it up.