"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: 14th century hourlgass gauntlets  (Read 9055 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 14th century hourlgass gauntlets
« Reply #15 on: 2013-11-19, 20:12:01 »
Not bad...looking at https://plus.google.com/photos/101692441556602403365/albums/5534867207099894225  for about 350 too...i think that might include shipping...how hard do you think building my own wisby gloves, using the kit I linked above, would be? How many hours of labor?

Something that Sir Ian educated me about, and might make a difference here, is that the hourglass gaunts at that link don't have a secondary sliding knuckle-plate. It needs this to be historical, and also it enhances the motion of the gauntlet quite a lot. It facilitates making a fist without the top of the gauntlet pulling tight and resisting it.

I think there are historical examples that exclude the knuckle rider plate, but it certainly seems to have been a mark of a 'good' example of hourglass gauntlets and most definitely enhances motion and comfort.

Belemrys, be careful with gauntlets in the SCA.  They have some particular rules about fingered gauntlets and especially the thumb.  The specifics escape me, but SCA fingered gauntlets have to be constructed differently from historical fingered gauntlets to be more protective for their purposes, so before buying anything make sure you verify SCA legality.  These rules are especially important if you intend to use a regular cross hilt on a sword.  I think you can get away with less hand protection if you fight exclusively with an SCA-style basket hilted sword since it's more protective.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-19, 20:13:41 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-11-19, 20:17:26 »
Yes, that's the plate. I had hourglass gaunts without it (GDFB). The movement was okay, but it would gap when making a fist. When it doesn't gap, the movement isn't acceptable.

If I remember right, the SCA gauntlets have to be "grounded", meaning the finger plates when grabbing a weapon touch the weapon. Historical gauntlets were mostly flat and didn't do that, as it makes grappling and fine weapon manipulation more difficult.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #17 on: 2013-11-19, 20:25:20 »
Yeah definitely going to sit down with some SCA people when I make final decisions on all my armor and make sure it fits rules without taking away from the historicity of everything :)