"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Living History Stuff  (Read 33858 times)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: Living History Stuff
« Reply #15 on: 2014-01-09, 03:32:42 »
But...but...I'm young and inexperienced with living history. I need something simple so I won't cry too much when the bigger kids make fun of my kit. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-09, 08:10:26 »
Me like Sir Ian only has been to 2 living history events, being the Days of Knights group which I felt quite "at home" at both, though I enjoyed the second one more due to camping out. I did try other things beforehand and was a ren faire goer, I didn't even think I'd ever go to Days of Knights but my parents were generous enough to help take me to the first and second ones. I'd say the best way to do it is soft kit first for you guys though. I actually had my armor before I ever did have a proper period soft kit, though I still need one for Teutonic I wore my current one more than I did my armor. I have been looking for more living history though, cause I basically was fruitless going to most ren faires and then trying the SCA only to realize it wasn't my crowd. I do like helping others out for living history though, like my friend Elliot who I actually met on a forum and got him into this stuff. I just wish I knew more events to go to for this.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-09, 14:44:02 »
On a more serious note, I just started on a soft kit that I want to at least be living history-grade regardless of whether or not I'm actually able to attend DoK this year. So far I have braies (which I might have to redo since they're technically cotton, not linen), a pair of woolen hose, some shoes, and a linen coif. I'm planning to finish it off with a linen undershirt, a woolen cote, and maybe a surcote and liripipe hood. I'm shooting for late 13th/early 14th C. Am I pretty close?

This sounds pretty good. In late 13th and early 14th, the overtunics tended to still run long, toward ankle or mid-shin length. By the late 14th, they were much shorter, about mid-thigh length, and liripipes were common. Getting into the 15th, it wasn't uncommon to have doublets that came down to the hips, with leg hose pointed straight to them.

This is assuming I have my date ranges right, of course... ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2014-01-09, 20:43:49 »
I wonder if they would kick me out if I came, Cause I'd probably need Long sleeve hauberk, mail gloves, and probably mail leggings before they let me in.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-01-09, 20:51:11 »
Y'know, as much as I love armor from the 15th century, I don't think I could do the everyday clothing. Poofy doublet shoulders and codpieces aren't really my thing. I'll stick with big, loose tunics, thankyouverymuch. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-01-09, 23:36:39 »
Y'know, as much as I love armor from the 15th century, I don't think I could do the everyday clothing. Poofy doublet shoulders and codpieces aren't really my thing. I'll stick with big, loose tunics, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Soft kit takes too much work and is too tedious. Just roll around in armor all day. ;)

Ahem :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2014-01-09, 23:39:41 »

Soft kit takes too much work and is too tedious. Just roll around in armor all day. ;)

Ahem :D

Lol! Point taken. ;)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #22 on: 2014-01-10, 01:03:57 »

you know not what you say

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2014-01-10, 01:16:38 »

you know not what you say

LOL! 

Is that with Lord Grey's?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #24 on: 2014-01-10, 01:31:34 »
yupyup

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2014-01-10, 01:41:24 »
Oh man...that's great! LOL

Hey, I just said it wasn't my thing. You can have all the poofy shoulders and codpieces that your little heart desires.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #26 on: 2014-01-10, 02:06:44 »

the ladies love it. lol man, this was 2004. that was 10 years ago!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #27 on: 2014-01-10, 16:30:30 »

Hey, I just said it wasn't my thing. You can have all the poofy shoulders and codpieces that your little heart desires.

Eventually we all need to make Landesknecht outfits, with huge 12" long codpieces with bells on them. ;)

Hey, it's period! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2014-01-10, 16:38:58 »
http://store.reconstructinghistory.com/landsknecht-package.html

was actually ready to do this. i know most of the guys that do the landsknechts at the md ref faire. i've been wanting to do some stuff with them.

anyone else?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2014-01-10, 17:13:17 »

Eventually we all need to make Landesknecht outfits, with huge 12" long codpieces with bells on them. ;)

Hey, it's period! :)

That's what I bought those long-cuff gauntlets for.

Maybe not.

Maybe.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent