"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Living History Stuff  (Read 33860 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Living History Stuff
« on: 2013-11-08, 00:27:21 »
Ian - while I fully understand the importance of accuracy/portrayal display in LH, personally I lean toward inclusiveness if the ultimate goal of said undertaking is not to only carry on tradition and tradecraft, but also to teach and interest those outside our "niche" - especially the next generation  :D  BTW, where do you participate in LH?  It's an area I'd like to learn more about.

As far as inclusion vs. accuracy, it really just varies by individual group and individual event.  Pick the events that work for you!  Days of Knights draws participants from different groups that vary in their level of accuracy, making the event very inclusive, but at the same time has a very acceptably high standard.  It's truly a unique event, especially for the US where Civil and Rev war LH is much more popular.

My participation in living history only goes back to the first Days of Knights a little over a year ago.  The research into my harness and impression began several years ago though and has been a very long process of refinement and replacement as my knowledge and skill grew.  I hope to possibly participate in the Military Through the Ages timeline event in Jamestown Settlement this March, but it is by invitation only, so here's to hoping :)

The premiere LH organization of my time period of interest in the US is the DC-area centric group called 'La Belle Compagnie.'  They have incredibly stringent standards, but they put on the most authentic presentation you can hope to see on the late 14th century this side of 1399.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Living History Stuff
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-11, 02:30:07 »
So far I've only done DOK for living history, but I'd love to do more events. Right now I only have one kit up to LH snuff, my 1310 Teutonic Knight kit. I'm trying to put together a LH caliber (at least appearance-wise) fighting kit, and after that expand onto the encampment side of things.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-11, 21:52:52 »
So what are the minimum requirements on gear for DoK? Obviously period-appropriate clothing, but is there anything else that you'd need, or at the very least be highly recommended to have. I assume I wouldn't need an entire encampment with furniture just to be able to participate, right?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-11, 22:08:26 »
as far as i can see (never been there) you could just walk on and be there (after you registered before hand) and not even have a camp.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-11, 23:53:31 »
So what are the minimum requirements on gear for DoK? Obviously period-appropriate clothing, but is there anything else that you'd need, or at the very least be highly recommended to have. I assume I wouldn't need an entire encampment with furniture just to be able to participate, right?

All you really need is yourself and period clothing.  There is absolutely no requirement for an encampment or anything beyond you.  Some folks who don't have period tents stay in local accommodations / lodgings, bum space of someone else, or stay in modern tents separate from the encampment proper.  Both DoKs so far have had areas for non-period tents.
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-13, 00:58:20 »
nothing beats laying out under the stars in a trench with 1 wool blanket. lol

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-08, 23:45:52 »
what is living history exactly?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-08, 23:52:13 »

It's an attempt to make everything as historically accurate as possible, including clothing, accessories, camp supplies, and so on... right down to the types of stitching, fabric, buttons, and so on.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-08, 23:54:32 »

It's just re-enactment of any era, where the general goal is education not theater with an emphasis on detailed historical accuracy.  So we strive to be as historically accurate as we can possibly be in dress, armor, camping equipment, mundane equipment etc. and we do this in order to provide an educational platform for the public to try to get across what our chosen time period would have really been like and what type of equipment they would have really used.  This would be in contrast to a Renaissance Fair, where it's more a theatrical presentation with historically 'themed' fantasy elements.

Days of Knights is an event some of the members of the Order of the Marshal attend, and it's a living history event.  It's held in Kentucky in October each year.  We camp in period appropriate tents and dress, eat, don armor, and do demonstrations accurate to various points in time during the medieval era.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-09, 00:23:40 »
In addition to what Sir Edward and Sir Ian have said, another important aspect is that it is an attempt to keep OUT things that are blatantly fantasy; no elves, no dragons, no fairies, etc.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-09, 01:07:19 »
[...]no elves, no dragons, no fairies, etc.

Well darn...so much for my Elven Fairywyrm kit, complete with studded leather bracers and monster, anime buster sword. Back to the drawing board. :-\

On a more serious note, I just started on a soft kit that I want to at least be living history-grade regardless of whether or not I'm actually able to attend DoK this year. So far I have braies (which I might have to redo since they're technically cotton, not linen), a pair of woolen hose, some shoes, and a linen coif. I'm planning to finish it off with a linen undershirt, a woolen cote, and maybe a surcote and liripipe hood. I'm shooting for late 13th/early 14th C. Am I pretty close?

And does anybody know when cloth buttons came in to fasten cote sleeves? I know sleeves started getting more fitted during the 13th century and have heard that, for a time, they were sewn shut on the wearer each time they were worn. I'm lazy and kind of don't want to do that. But I've seen some reproductions that have a few cloth buttons along the wrist. Can't find any period examples, though. Would I be better off just going with loose sleeves?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-09, 02:10:02 »
so no nuts no butts no coconuts?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-09, 02:10:16 »
Soft kit takes too much work and is too tedious. Just roll around in armor all day. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #13 on: 2014-01-09, 02:16:26 »
/\ i think i just threw up a lil in my mouth

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-09, 03:16:54 »
Soft kit takes too much work and is too tedious. Just roll around in armor all day. ;)

Perhaps once I'm older and have more templar accurate maille, I'll do it.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"