"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Only the best will do, especially chainmail.  (Read 14431 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Only the best will do, especially chainmail.
« on: 2013-11-07, 01:35:51 »
So, I am seeking to buy(in the future) great chainmail. I want long sleeve, at least to my knees, mailli. I researched and believe that flat head rivited mailli is the best. What would you recomend? What have you got? I want mailli that can take "steel to steel" weapon contact. I don't care the price as long as it is less than $2,000.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Only the best will do, especially chainmail.
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-07, 01:52:49 »

I'd check out Icefalcon, as well as the GDFB options on KoA (the mouse-over glossary should be working for those abbreviations).

What you're looking for is a long-sleeve hauberk. The term "haubergeon" means a shorter, half-sleeved mail shirt, whereas "hauberk" is the longer, full-sleeve version.

To know what size you need, you need to start with whatever under-garments you'll use (such as a gambeson or aketon), and get a chest measurement over that. Then add at least 4 inches, preferably 6.

Keep in mind it's easier to resize mail downward than upward. It's also easier to grow into mail that's too big, than to lose a bunch of weight and keep it off as you get older. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-07, 01:56:21 »
I know places where to get some for less than your budget actually. I would suggest wedge riveted flat ring maille with alternating solid rings due to the flat inside of the wedge riveted being softer on the gambesons.
They sell it here at Kult of Athena for good prices http://www.kultofathena.com/armor-mail.asp
They also sell dome riveted here http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor
I'd suggest getting the one with alternating flat punched rings however as it would be more period for the "age of maille" plus less likely to lock up. I had a fully riveted dome riveted hauberk and it locked up in the middle of combat. Both of those options will hold up to fighting though.
If you REALLY wanna get super accurate maille you could wait and contact Erik D Schmid and he would have his made and would be in the thousands, but it would be better than any other maille around only issue is it would be in the thousands and would have quite a waiting time on it.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-07, 02:25:42 »
Ok cool. But while we are on the subject. How do i clean maille? Mine is a bit rusty.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-07, 02:29:19 »
I would suggest renting a cement mixer or tumbler and tumble it with some sand and that would polish it up. A dryer could work but I would only suggest that for smaller things like coifs or chausses. I did that with mine and it polished it up nicely and left a cool patina on it. I would avoid chemical solutions but I dont know much of that, I tend to avoid those myself.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-07, 03:18:50 »
Where could i get a tumbler?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-07, 04:13:15 »
Be prepared to replace rings if you're doing steel to steel contact. They will bend and break. It's not hard, but it will require a bit of maintenance.

Cement mixer and sand wasn't very satisfactory results for me. Might have been the sand? I let it run for hours. Minimal difference, though that was stainless mail I wanted to polish. If you have mild steel mail, keep it oiled and it will minimize the rusting.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-11-07, 04:33:24 »

Be prepared to replace rings if you're doing steel to steel contact. They will bend and break. It's not hard, but it will require a bit of maintenance.

Cement mixer and sand wasn't very satisfactory results for me. Might have been the sand? I let it run for hours. Minimal difference, though that was stainless mail I wanted to polish. If you have mild steel mail, keep it oiled and it will minimize the rusting.

How would you recomend I clean it? Well I guess it depends on the steel and finish. But im looking for a natural finish maille.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-07, 04:35:04 by Sir Aiden »

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-11-07, 05:50:00 »
I usually just take the maille, I find a minor patch of rust and I scrap the rings together for about 20 minutes straight and then the rust is gone mostly after that. I suggest wearing thick leather gloves while doing it it works for removing small patches of rust for me. Thats the way the romans used to clean their maille and it works and sure there may be a little rust left but it wont be what it was and it will give it a nice period look.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2013-11-07, 14:32:09 »

One of the rust cleaning methods I saw mentioned (Jeff Hedgcock I think), was to use the wood chips they sell for keeping pet rodents, and throw that in a sack with the mail and roll it around. I think Bill had tried that, wasn't satisfied with it at first, but then noticed that it had loosened up all the rust and it just needed to be shaken or wiped off. I haven't tried it, but then I opted for stainless. :)

For oiling to prevent rust, there are spray-on gun oils that could be used. But of course, any oil will rub off into your aketon/gambeson.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-11-07, 19:29:19 »
Don't forget Historic Enterprises for Maille.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-11-07, 20:36:16 »
I want to put these guys out there too, I've never handled their maille, but it looks pretty damn good, and I think Sir Gerard knows the proprietor.

http://www.capapie.co.uk
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-11-07, 21:22:09 »
I own a variety of maille from Icefalcon, I have a stainless flat ring pin riveted haubergeon, and a stainless flat ring wedge riveted aventail on my helmet.  I LOVE the wedge riveted stuff.  It's so much smoother on clothing and skin and doesn't snag on everything.

I chose stainless because I agonize over the idea of cleaning maille, and it's blackened stainless so it still looks the part.  If I were doing it all again, I would have purchased my haubergeon in stainless flat-ring wedge riveted (but alas it didn't exist when I bought mine).
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2013-11-07, 21:35:59 »
Say I do get stainless, i will probably wear armor over it. Particularly the armor on by-the-sword.com. The full arm armor along with the matching greaves and the gothic gorget. All under arms and armor. And I'd get custom probably 16 for each of them. So how is the maintenance like on stainless maille? To be honest I never have the time to clean my gear.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-11-07, 21:37:22 »
Say I do get stainless, i will probably wear armor over it. Particularly the armor on by-the-sword.com. The full arm armor along with the matching greaves and the gothic gorget. All under arms and armor. And I'd get custom probably 16 for each of them. So how is the maintenance like on stainless maille? To be honest I never have the time to clean my gear.

There is no maintenance on stainless.  You will want to tailor your maille  if you plan to wear armor over it, and even if you didn't it would make it more comfortable.  We have people that can help you with that.

Any plate armor requires maintenance however, so don't think you're going to get away with a maintenance free kit.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum