Main > The Round Table

Far Cry 2 game - Spoilers, but a discussion of the concept of chivalry within it

<< < (3/3)

Sir Douglas:
Yeah, I went through both the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves' Guild lines on my "bad" character. They were actually a lot of fun. Though I found the method for gaining access to the Brotherhood questline a little hard to justify. So I have to murder a grumpy old lady just because some ten-year-old kid told me to? But I guess that's the point: if you're willing to do that, then you'll fit right in with the Brotherhood's happy family.

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-11-07, 20:38:05 ---But yeah, I usually play the good-guy as best I can. There's definitely something to be said about playing a bad-guy when given the opportunity, since you can blow off steam and do things you would never do in reality. There's nothing wrong with that. But for me, it's an opportunity to be the hero. I want to be better than I am in reality. And when I do take a bad-guy choices, it makes me feel dirty.

--- End quote ---

This, right here. I admit, GTA is a guilty pleasure of mine as well (I've only ever played San Andreas), and while sometimes it is indeed incredibly satisfying to just go around doing stupid things and crashing cars and running over pedestrians with a go-kart, I feel guilty afterwards. It sort of works on my conscience a little bit. Of course, I realize that it's just a game, so that doesn't stop me from having an incredibly good time, but I also know that - woah, this kind of stuff is not cool to do in real life, and there are consequences if you do. Again, I sort of have to build up a mindset for doing deliberately bad things in a game, and that's any game. Frankly, more of my time in GTA is spent exploring the world and driving around in cool cars than it is engaging in illegal activities. Well, okay, so I do tend to break the speed limit....a lot. ;)

But yeah, I sort of see gaming as chance to live out some of my own fantasies. I'll never actually go into space, so I'll play some sci-fi games and live vicariously through them. In my mind, I'm still me more than I am whomever my avatar may be, so I still tend to act how I would act in that situation, but at a sort of superhuman level. I bet a psychologist could have a field day studying all of my eccentricities when it comes to gaming....lol

I might have to pick up the first AC one day. I've only ever seen a little bit of the game play, and I think the whole "genetic memory" concept kind of turned me off. It seemed a little..weird. Probably would make more sense if I played the game from the start. Despite that, the time-frame and game world of the first one sounds right up my alley. By now, I could probably get it really cheap for my PS3.

Sir William:
Douglas, I have to say that the Animus stuff is a bit off-putting; if you ask me, they could've done w/out all of that and just made a period piece and I would've been even more happier.  I didn't care for the main character who is reliving his ancestors' memories; he always came off as a whiny d-bag until I considered what they were putting him through.  Since I can get whiny when overwhelmed, who am I to judge?  I'm the actual player, that's who!  lol  But seriously, the first one was IT for me...but I've always had a thing for the Crusades and being smack dab in the middle of the 3rd Crusade and actually encountering the Lionheart was just too cool.

As for GTA...this latest iteration has the lowest kill counts for me than any of the previous installments...in IV, I used to hole up in the crappy lil studio you have to run off to when you piss off the Russians and have to skip town for a bit; the entrance had a vestibule which ended up being the most absolute chokepoint you could possibly ask for- I just posted up behind the interior entryway and as the cops stormed the front door, I'd pick'm off with blind-firing...the distance was less  than ten feet, you couldn't miss!  In retrospect, I didn't feel too bad- those idiots kept tryin to come thru the front door!  Once in a while, the AI would smarten up and try to come in thru the rear, but all I'd do is retreat up the staircase and hit'm from the second landing.  When I started bouncing grenades off the walls to careen into the spot where they were all huddled it got sort of ridiculous (as if the whole thing wasn't already).

Anyway, in V they act more realistic, the dialog's much more varied- to the point they seem more like people than walking targets.  I actually go out of my way to avoid pedestrians or horrific full-on collisions...I suppose I should feel bad for taking down the armored security vans but they're only carrying dirty money anyway so they're criminals too, right?  lol

Gaming is just that, gaming- a vicarious thrill, a chance to be something I never will- be it a planetary savior, or the world's worst possible despot.  I usually opt for the former as even as a bad guy I sort of suck.  Bad guys don't have attacks of conscience but I do- so I won't do women or children.

Aiden of Oreland:
I am a major fan of the Elder Scrolls series myself. I started with Oblivion, which I can say had more fun with than Skyrim, but Morrowind is a good game to after you get the hang of it. But I usually make the stereotypical character. Sword and shield, heavy armor, good guy. I never kill unless I have to. For the assassins guild or "Dark brotherhood" I do the quests that defeat and destroy the assassins. Ya know, When I played through dawn guard(Is it sad that I found the all the dlc stories to be better than the main one) I felt so much guilt when I had to kill the second to last snow elf elf. Which turned into the falmer. Which most know the suffix "mer" means elf. But anyway, when the Nords came over to the continent of Tamriel they were peaceful. But they were reproducing quikly in the eyes of the snow elves. So the snow elves went to kill them but the nords proved to be more than mere primates. Nords won and took the land of the snow elves. The snow elves look to the dwremer (dwarves) for help and shelter. The dwremer said yes if they can take away the eye sight of the snow elves. Most said yes, but a few said no. Do to the blindness and the abuse of the dwremer, they became known as the falmer. A dark and evil creater of the depths of Skyrim. 1 of the snow elves turned evil(a vampire) and let the falmer come and slay the remaining snow elves. 2 snow elves remained. Two brothers. 1 good and one bad. You are forced o kill the evil one and realize that you just put the species of what once used to be a proud and civilized race of elves to extinction. Leaving one left. But the last one noticed an increase of intelligence in the Falmer. So he plans to spend the rest of his life to teach them that they used to be a proud race. Turn them into what they used to be.
  On that note. Any one play fable? I think the first one is the best. And they are remastering it! Fable 2 was ok, but fable 3 was sad. The evil side wasn't even evil, just childish.

Sir James A:
While it's an odd concept, the animus is what ties all of the prior AC games together into a cohesive series.

Sir William, if you haven't finished AC:3, when you are done with GTA:V, dust off AC:3 and finish it up. The story line comes together very nicely in the end, and Desmond, the animus, and the modern day assassins and templars are a key part in it all.

AC:3 is MUCH better after the first or second sequence when you are finally an adult and get your assassin gear (Sequence 6, maybe 7?). You get into firing squads, aerial assassinations with bayonets, sprinting assassinations, corner kills, and some generally epic combat things in the most versatile combat engine in the series (note: haven't played IV yet). I had some truly wicked battles later in AC:3. Oh, and the "assault a fort" takedowns, where you have to literally take over a fort, solo, and capture it. I loved doing those!

And to see how utterly phenomenal Connor's dual-wielding combat skills and general awesomeness become, with plenty of two-person finisher combos:
*** STOP at 3:30 if you don't want a MAJOR Connor spoiler ***

AC:3 had, by far, the slowest work up to being a serious force to contend with. Once you get over that hump, it's a good game. I'm not thrilled with the time period setting either, but, the combat alone carries a lot of it. There are also some fun modern day scenes as Desmond, which to me, never happened in the games before AC:3. Playing as Haytham at the beginning was fun, but, once playing as Connor, it really felt like "work" to get through a lot of it until later. First time that happened in the series for me.. but I'm glad I stuck with it and finished it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version