"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: The Ill-Made Knight  (Read 8833 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The Ill-Made Knight
« on: 2013-11-05, 00:52:06 »
I'm just a little ways in to The Ill-Made Knight by Christian Cameron right now (not to be confused with the book by T.H. White), but wanted to recommend it here to you gentlemen.  It's a new novel, just published on August 1st of this year.  I  believe it's Christian's first medieval historical fiction.  Takes place during the early Hundred Years War.  Here's the synopsis from Amazon:

The Ill-Made Knight:
William Gold comes into the world as his family slides down the social ladder. His head filled with tales of chivalry, instead he is branded a thief, and must make do with being squire to his childhood friend Sir Robert, a knight determined to make a name for himself as a man at arms in France. While William himself slowly acquires the skills of knightly combat, he remains an outsider - until the Battle of Poitiers when Sir Robert is cut down by the greatest knight of the age, Sir Geoffrey de Charny, and William, his lowly squire, revenges him. But with his own knight dead, no honour accrues to William for this feat of arms, and he is forced to become a mercenary. Scavenging a mismatched set of armour from the knightly corpses, he joins one of the mercenary companies now set to pillage a defenceless France, and so begins a bloody career that sees William joining forces with the infamous Sir John Hawkwood and immersing himself in a treacherous clandestine war among the Italian city states. But paradoxically it is there, among the spies, assassins and hired killers serving their ruthless masters, that William finally discovers the true meaning of chivalry - and his destiny as a knight.

The story is thus far very engrossing, gritty, and portrays the realities between some of the ideals of chivalry vs how it may have been abused by less than honorable knights.  Christian Cameron offers something very cool to historical fiction.  Since he is himself a very devoted and detail oriented living history nut, he goes out of his way to get those details that we would appreciate right.  I also saw it written in another review that with his historical fiction the characters seem very real.  In a lot of historical fiction it feels like the author transplanted a modern character to the period of interest, but in Christian's novels the characters really portray a sense of belonging to their era.  They feel right for their time. 

Check it out!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Re: The Ill-Made Knight
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-05, 01:19:36 »
Nice, I will have to check it out. I love historical fiction. Umberto Eco is by far my favorite author but he can be quite difficult to read. For the 100 year war I recommend the Grail Quest series (http://www.amazon.com/Archers-Tale-Grail-Quest-Book/dp/0060935766). It shows how important those english archers were and also shows what gritty life these warriors lead...

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-05, 01:50:57 »
musta had a Pakistan label on the bottom of his foot

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-05, 16:20:08 »

Great! I may have to check it out sometime. I find it hard to make myself sit down and finish a book, but maybe this will be riveting enough to keep me going. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-05, 16:32:10 »
I've been running through a spate of medieval fiction novels so I'll add this one to the wishlist.  When I read the thread title, Lancelot jumped to mind immediately (le Chevaler Mal Fet) being one of his noms-de-guerre in Arthurian lore as recounted by Thomas Bulfinch.  I've read through a couple of novels recently that deal with this type of storyline- it is a popular one in many genres.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #5 on: 2017-02-09, 16:19:04 »
I finished reading the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Yes it is gritty, engrossing and straight to the point.  I would say that as a 14th Century enthusiast this type of fiction I would recommend highly as the author has done a great job in painting the 14th Century world and describing actual combat between knights.  My 2 cents.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.