"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: 12th century daggers?  (Read 4204 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
12th century daggers?
« on: 2013-11-03, 04:29:55 »
http://www.celticwebmerchant.eu/a-28457972/daggers/12th-century-crusader-s-dagger/
http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1219.html
Well considering I did not pick up that windlass dagger before it was discontinued, I am considering picking this up as a "final flare" to completing my kit. Currently have a scabbard on the way and working on maille mittens to add to my hauberk. I decided I am not switching to 1300s as well because plate over maille is just too much weight, I can wear my maille with no problem with my belting but to put plate OVER that additional maille, way too much weight. Sticking to 12th and 13th which are quite interchangeable due to the stuff being similar apart from weapons and helms. Anyone know of any American places that can sell this kind of dagger for a similar low price before I make the purchase? I know KOA has baselards but I am not interested in them because they're 14th and well, I prefer using outdated stuff due to the Germans holding onto older designs longer.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 12th century daggers?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-03, 16:18:50 »
A&A makes a nice crusader era cruciform dagger if you're not in love with the baselard style.  With A&A you know you're getting top quality hardened blade, so there's no doubt it will not only be pretty, but it will be the real thing, and fully functional.  With inexpensive daggers you risk getting a low-quality blade that may bend or break easily.  If you just want it to look the part and not worry about using it, then you're fine though.  The A&A is considerably more expensive.

http://armor.com/dagg130.html

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-04, 13:55:56 »
I was looking at their morgan bible dagger and quite liked it, I might just save up for that and get that instead, I've turned into quite the sword snob now thanks to my Albion Reeve. Thats the problem, once you get a taste of the high end stuff you dont want the cheaper stuff....

LionPride32

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-11, 23:51:35 »
 picked up my first real dagger about six weeks ago. Generation2 Tuetonic Crusader dagger. It's basically a dagger version of Gen2's group of "crusader" swords. There's actually 4 kinds, exactly the same except for the pommels - Tuetonic has black cross, Templar has red cross, Norman dagger and 12th century daggers are the same as well with slightly different pommel shapes, no crosses.

Damn it all, I tried to attatch pics of it but apparently they are to large in KB and I'm writing this on a cell phone and don't know how to shrink them....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-13, 14:39:16 »
I was looking at their morgan bible dagger and quite liked it, I might just save up for that and get that instead, I've turned into quite the sword snob now thanks to my Albion Reeve. Thats the problem, once you get a taste of the high end stuff you dont want the cheaper stuff....

We told you it would happen.  ;) I have a Windlass sword-hilted dagger which seems to match their CMS (not a bad blade for a type X); I'm not in love w/it, but its serviceable.  Rather than get it regripped/upgraded I think I'll end up w/a A&A or other high end dagger eventually.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€