"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Getting Into The Thick of The Action!  (Read 15403 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Getting Into The Thick of The Action!
« on: 2013-10-21, 03:20:16 »
As some of you may not know I am just beginning to get into Medieval activity. I have alway had a fascination with it. But as I become of age I look past the the books and tales and search for a "piece of the action". But... I do not know the way... And that brings me to the question. I would like to start joining(when I turn 18, which is 2 years from now.) SCA events and learn medieval Martial Arts. Know of any local PA groups? Or even better joining one of you? For I would find more comfort among my comrades. Also, what gear would I need head to toe. I have a "heavy duty SCA helmet" but thats it. And i constantly browse on by-the-sword, medievalcollectables, and albion swords. I figured maybe buy flat riveted chainmail. But anyway I would love to know where to start when I turn 18.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Getting Into The Thick of The Action!
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-21, 13:49:10 »
Thorsteinn or LrdMurchadh are probably the ones to ask for SCA stuff. I know you can get in on "youth combat" before you are 18 with parental consent. Beyond that... I don't know.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-21, 15:18:11 »

There might be some WMA/HEMA options up there too, in addition to SCA, but I don't know off the top of my head. The ones that spring to mind are MEMAG in eastern MD, and NYHFA, up in NY, both of which will be impractical due to distance. But study groups start up all the time, or you can start your own.

The SCA has groups all over the place, so it probably wouldn't be hard to meet up with them and see what they have to offer locally.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-21, 18:22:02 »
As some of you may not know I am just beginning to get into Medieval activity. I have alway had a fascination with it. But as I become of age I look past the the books and tales and search for a "piece of the action". But... I do not know the way... And that brings me to the question. I would like to start joining(when I turn 18, which is 2 years from now.) SCA events and learn medieval Martial Arts. Know of any local PA groups? Or even better joining one of you? For I would find more comfort among my comrades. Also, what gear would I need head to toe. I have a "heavy duty SCA helmet" but thats it. And i constantly browse on by-the-sword, medievalcollectables, and albion swords. I figured maybe buy flat riveted chainmail. But anyway I would love to know where to start when I turn 18.

What part of PA are you in and I will locate a local group for you and let you know how I found it...Also you can start playing SCA now and even fight...the legal age to fight is 16 with parental permission...but let me look some things up and I will let you know...just let me know where you are..County and all..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-21, 18:48:09 »
Thorsteinn or LrdMurchadh are probably the ones to ask for SCA stuff. I know you can get in on "youth combat" before you are 18 with parental consent. Beyond that... I don't know.

Yep! I'm here!

(If you listen closely I think you can hear my rotator cuff beginning to tear. I was Ivan for 20 years, and I'm in the Lamellar).

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-21, 19:06:30 »
Fort Washington, PA. Like outside Philly

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-21, 20:02:17 »
I'm also SCA in East Kingdom for the Barony of the Bridge. I am centered in New England but if you have questions, please ask Aiden. You are lucky to be in PA where we host Pennsic War. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-10-21, 21:05:54 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-21, 20:31:43 »
Pennsic Wars hmm... I'll definitly look into that. Say in two years from now, Lord Dane, would you mind us accompanying you in this event? Just so we would feel more comfortable among a brethren and to give us the jiff on how things work? And by accompany I mean find and meet you there and make camp? I don't know about the camp thing because I always see tents in videos and images. Where is the pennsic wars?

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-21, 20:42:14 »
we could do it next year, ill be sixteen, but i dont know if that would work.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-21, 20:48:35 »
(Lol I could just walk down stairs and tell him this) but Lets wait a few years because you and I don't have the gear.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2013-10-21, 21:14:24 »
Pennsic Wars hmm... I'll definitly look into that. Say in two years from now, Lord Dane, would you mind us accompanying you in this event? Just so we would feel more comfortable among a brethren and to give us the jiff on how things work? And by accompany I mean find and meet you there and make camp? I don't know about the camp thing because I always see tents in videos and images. Where is the pennsic wars?

Under 18 must be accompanied by guardians and register as fighters if you are going to participate in heavy list combat. Pennsic War is annual and a big thing in SCA. Some of us here have attended in past. I fight typically with my combat group "Order of the Lily Cross" or The Order in SCA. Get your feet wet with a local group to learn the rigors of rattan fighting. Then you will be better apt for something like Pennsic (which is a blast when its full- 10,000 SCA fighters taking to field). Groups register mostly depending which kingdom they serve or region of that kingdom. www.sca.org (so you get an idea). Pennsic is held in western PA (Slippery Rock) but subject to renewal of our lease agreement. Pennsic is a 2 week function.

I haven't been there for 2 years due to time constraints. My Group or Barony is always there. You may always visit the encampments as individuals.   
« Last Edit: 2013-10-21, 22:34:23 by Lord Dane »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-10-21, 21:30:42 »
To give you an idea of the scale of Pennsic...

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-21, 22:34:52 »
😍 just look at it

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-21, 22:40:21 »
Most SCA events occur on weekends depending on how active your region or kingdom is. Check for your local groups in PA on www.sca.org. Good place to start.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-21, 23:52:13 »
Thanks! All of your help is mist appreciated! Best to start off on the right foot rather than the wrong one!