"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: 14th c. stuff on the AA  (Read 5482 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
14th c. stuff on the AA
« on: 2013-10-04, 14:17:35 »

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165887

I'd consider grabbing the helmet myself, but I think it would be a little loose on me. Some of the other armor items look like very good deals too.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: 14th c. stuff on the AA
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-04, 16:27:02 »
just buy it already

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-04, 20:12:29 »
It's pretty just can't get into a pigface bascinet. Something about the snout.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-04, 20:14:59 »
I have a question for those that would know better from experience.

Where should the ends of the plates sit?  For example, the knees for sale:

are "16ga mild steel 5.5" across the knee, 8.5" from center of knee to top of demi-cuisse, 8.5" from center of knee to bottom of demi-greave."

that all seems a bit small to me? and I'm not exactly a tall guy.  From the center of the knee to the top of the cuisse at that length I still have about 4.5" to my hip bone joint and about 2.5" left to my inseam...  is that a good thing for movement? or is that a bit too much room? :D

it's about the same with the arms as well.

I have no idea about plate to be honest.  But for that price and the protection they'd afford, I'm definitely thinking about them :D

This weekend I'm picking up a helm, spaulders, and an aluminum hauberk for a deal from my Knight Instructor so that's about all I'll need left :D

and Lord Dane, totally get your perspective about the pigface bascinet... although, taking the face-plate off, it'd make a nice Irish bascinet ;)

beautiful equipment regardless
« Last Edit: 2013-10-04, 20:15:28 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-04, 20:20:54 »
For those polyens, mid-thigh to mid-shin I would imagine for proper fit & placement. I would prefer an open-face barbute, Great helm with bascinet underneath (no face plate) or one with a grill for a 14th century look. I can't be sold on the pig-face.. maybe the hound skull.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-04, 21:10:46 »
they are supposed to be 15thc knees that are pointed onto the hosen. as seen in paintings in the 15thc depicting 14thc in Frosart(sp?) i dont think they REALLY existed but they should be lower thigh to upper shin.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-05, 00:15:23 »
I like it.
I think there is an armor store at the p.a. renfaire on avalon hill that sells leggings like that and some shoulders.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-05, 05:02:06 »
they are supposed to be 15thc knees that are pointed onto the hosen. as seen in paintings in the 15thc depicting 14thc in Frosart(sp?) i dont think they REALLY existed but they should be lower thigh to upper shin.

What Sir Wolf said. I've only seen them as archer equipment. It's in one or two books I have, however, it's as modern interpretations and I haven't seen it anywhere in historical sources that I can think of off the top of my head - though I don't pay much attention to the lesser armored people in paintings. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-05, 22:55:39 »
thanks for the heads up all!

that's good to know they're only supposed to be half-thighs and shins.  To be honest, they'd be hidden on both my kits anyway, and no-one would know they even existed.  They'd either be underneath my cappa or my leine, either way they'd be hidden.  I'd just be wearing them for combat safety's sake for me.

Lord knows though, ever since hanging out with this group and seeing Sir Ian's, Sir James, Sir Nathan's, and Sir Ed's kits, I may be persuaded to actually start wearing plate exposed as well!  :o ;D
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j