"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: The hand shake  (Read 4056 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
The hand shake
« on: 2013-10-09, 03:44:15 »
While me and my brother were at the MDrenfair for the first time we had a conversation with Sir Barchon of Dingleberry. When saying fair we grabbed one anothers arm (the proper way to shake the hand of a fellow knight) but Sir Nate was unaware of this custom. So Sir Nate grabbed his hand and Sir Barchon said "Oh god! He touched my hand!" And started to wipe his hand off on his stainless steel jousting armor 😆. He told my brother that that is how women shake one anothers hand. I couldn't help but laugh. But to be honest, i almost grabbed his hand too but luckely he grabbed my fore arm before I did. A bit off topic, but while I'm at it. Do you Sir Barchon would take me as an apprentice?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: The hand shake
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-09, 13:46:01 »

Sir Barchan is great. He does find amusing ways to share knowledge like that. :)

I'm not sure that he'd take on an apprentice directly, since he travels around a lot. The jousting troupe at MDRF is called The Feelancers, and they offer a jousting school, but its held in another state (and is a 2-week intense crash-course). Tennessee, maybe? I forget.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-09, 15:19:06 »
The forearm shake is prevalent in medieval context, at least as far as modern day goes. I'm not sure if there is any historical precedence for it. We have a thread about it floating around on here recently.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-09, 18:59:35 »
lol
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-09, 21:16:55 »
The Roman era salute of officers was a more common practice amongst the mounted knights of the day. Did not involve actual contact out of respect for the other's status. Legionaries would use the forearm greeting as rank & file soldiers but upper ranks would respect the elite status of their officers & not make contact (which was not permitted). 
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-11, 01:15:02 »
It bases back to medieval Germany, the custom was meant to check for and shake out and daggers up the shakers sleeves, and, you might note, occupied the sword hand.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-11, 02:27:37 »
also hand contact (at least to my knowledge) was part of courtship, things like palming during a dance was considered flirtatious, to actually touch  O.o   that would be quite interesting to interpret. (also why when holding hands at court non wedded persons would be holding hands with out palms touching, only fingers. ).  or at least so I've heard.