"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Heraldic Design  (Read 57665 times)

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
Re: Heroldic Disign
« Reply #15 on: 2013-10-28, 21:06:34 »
Yep.  Vladimir was a saint - though most Romanians I think consider Vlad Tepes on aboutt he same level :)

Baba Yaga was an evil witch who schemed and plotted on how to bring Vladimir to ruin and take over the Rus.  She's best known for her wierd magical devices, like her hut that walked around on giant chicken legs...
« Last Edit: 2013-10-28, 21:07:48 by Gareyth »
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #16 on: 2013-12-20, 07:04:55 »
This is my mad scramble to figure out a heraldic crest through "paint" lol
It truly is frustrating. Any opinions or suggestions? advice? This is just basically getting the idea web down. I will eventually pull different elements together to come up with an official design.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-20, 07:07:31 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #17 on: 2013-12-20, 08:16:22 »
I really like the quartered green & white look on the tabbard with the counter-changing maltese crosses (or cross pattee) & chevrons. Looks sharp!!
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2013-12-20, 15:03:27 »

Aiden, that's a great start! Actually most of your designs on there look very workable. In the end it will come down to which amongst them will satisfy you the most. One thing to keep in mind is that whatever you choose, you'll likely have to paint and/or sew it at least once (before giving up and choosing to pay others to do it for you). ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-12-20, 16:09:26 »
Yep, great start! I'm partial to the quartered variants as well. Either the green w/white cross (either style), or the one with the deer and leaf - I'd just put a leaf in the second quartering, or some other charge, to "balance" it - but I'm OCD with things balancing out horizontally and vertically like that.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #20 on: 2013-12-20, 17:54:35 »
Ditto on the quartered surcoats/tabards. They look quite sharp. I kind of like the far left shields in the second and third rows, too, and the quartered shield. I agree that the quartered shield just needs something in the last quadrant, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about balance as well. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2013-12-20, 19:05:14 »

The quartering does look great, but as a counter-point, historically this was frequently done for "marshaling", which was the joining of two sets of heraldry. This may or may not matter to you.

I sometimes try to steer people away from quartering just because so many people do it, and there are so many other cool things that you can do with heraldry out there. But in the end, it's what speaks to you that really matters.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2013-12-20, 23:19:24 »

The quartering does look great, but as a counter-point, historically this was frequently done for "marshaling", which was the joining of two sets of heraldry. This may or may not matter to you.

I sometimes try to steer people away from quartering just because so many people do it, and there are so many other cool things that you can do with heraldry out there. But in the end, it's what speaks to you that really matters.

No I totally agree, thats why on my sheilds I have only one quarter design.  That last deer on the very bottom shield I made myself. I do really ljke the surcoat that is quartered. But I like the surcoat and the sheild with maybe the rampant hart with a chevron. The beach leaves I like, but may make them aspen leaves or something else. If I could have a 3rd color what should it be? Brown? Black? Oh ya and would you guys have a recomended shield I could buy to paint and have it capable for SCA. So when I get done a year or two of hema 'that I will join some time in the next 2). And the combination of meanings in my heraldic designs blend nicely. For I am Sir Aiden the Benevolent. Plus the deer and green and white/silver is related to my lennon family crest. The chevrons are related to a few other crests in my routes. I should have a final decision on thing by the end of summer.
Yep, great start! I'm partial to the quartered variants as well. Either the green w/white cross (either style), or the one with the deer and leaf - I'd just put a leaf in the second quartering, or some other charge, to "balance" it - but I'm OCD with things balancing out horizontally and vertically like that.
Ditto on the quartered surcoats/tabards. They look quite sharp. I kind of like the far left shields in the second and third rows, too, and the quartered shield. I agree that the quartered shield just needs something in the last quadrant, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about balance as well. ;)

Haha sry about that, I didn't mean to not put that other beach leaf in. Well thank you all for liking it so much! That just can raise a man's spirit (yet I am not a men yet legally). Again, this is all scrambled together after months of creating new ideas onto the page.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-20, 23:25:10 by Sir Aiden »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-12-20, 23:31:56 »
All of this makes me glad I got my Arms passed in the SCA in '87.

What with the shields, AoA, tattoo, armour color theme, and whatnot it'd be a bastard to change now.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-21, 15:57:48 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2013-12-20, 23:41:51 »
All of this makes me glad I got my Arms passed in the SCA in '92.

What with the shields, AoA, tattoo, armour color theme, and whatnot it'd be a bastard to change now.

Yeah, Aiden if you are definitely planning on joining the SCA and want to use the heraldry you make with them, I would highly recommend getting it approved with them before painting or sewing it on anything. I imagine it would really suck to spend all that time and/or money on nice heraldic gear only to find that someone else is already using it, or that it doesn't meet SCA standards. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2013-12-21, 00:50:23 »

Yeah, Aiden if you are definitely planning on joining the SCA and want to use the heraldry you make with them, I would highly recommend getting it approved with them before painting or sewing it on anything. I imagine it would really suck to spend all that time and/or money on nice heraldic gear only to find that someone else is already using it, or that it doesn't meet SCA standards. ;)

This, this, this!

You'd be amazed at what doesn't pass in the SCA, just because it's too similar to someone's existing design. Also, when it comes to gear you might use in the SCA, it's best to find out what the local Marshal will permit. This is true of any combat group. It's best to find out what the group will permit, and what they will recommend.

In my case, I registered with the SCA after painting my shield, but it was in the hopes that I could pass it without changes (or only minor tweaks), for the sake of protecting its uniqueness. My priorities were different though, since I don't fight in the SCA.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2013-12-21, 04:22:02 »

This, this, this!

You'd be amazed at what doesn't pass in the SCA, just because it's too similar to someone's existing design. Also, when it comes to gear you might use in the SCA, it's best to find out what the local Marshal will permit. This is true of any combat group. It's best to find out what the group will permit, and what they will recommend.

In my case, I registered with the SCA after painting my shield, but it was in the hopes that I could pass it without changes (or only minor tweaks), for the sake of protecting its uniqueness. My priorities were different though, since I don't fight in the SCA.

Drats. NOW YOU TELL ME! You know what, I'll make one for now, and if needed to be changed then so be it. Wow that complicates things... But hey, I got years, youth is with me, I got time. I think I will continue with my design and use it as my knightly symbol for when I work toward joining the order. Or should i just use one heraldry for everything based on my local SCA group near Philly. Cuz I live in Ambler/Fort Washington area.

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2013-12-21, 04:48:41 »
Well, it's up to you, really. I only mentioned it as a heads-up in case you were explicitly planning on using that particular design with the SCA. If you wanted heraldry just to wear at RenFests or to use within our little Modern Chivalry group or just to have, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going ahead a making something now. Later on down the line, if it passes in the SCA, great! If not and you have to make a new one, it's no big deal. For our purposes, there's no rule against having more than one set of arms for more than one "persona". :)
« Last Edit: 2013-12-21, 04:55:15 by DouglasTheYounger »

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #28 on: 2013-12-21, 04:52:24 »
Yeah I just joined the SCA and I picked out my colors just need to figure out the process of getting heraldry approved and see if what I have planned is okay...it involves lions and emerald green and autumn gold :)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2013-12-21, 15:26:42 »
Well, it's up to you, really. I only mentioned it as a heads-up in case you were explicitly planning on using that particular design with the SCA. If you wanted heraldry just to wear at RenFests or to use within our little Modern Chivalry group or just to have, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going ahead a making something now. Later on down the line, if it passes in the SCA, great! If not and you have to make a new one, it's no big deal. For our purposes, there's no rule against having more than one set of arms for more than one "persona". :)

Well, its better I know now. I may just get a cheap sheild and cheap fabric to make something for show. Haha, I could quarter when I join my new SCA "family".

Yeah I just joined the SCA and I picked out my colors just need to figure out the process of getting heraldry approved and see if what I have planned is okay...it involves lions and emerald green and autumn gold :)

Sounds like a really nice heraldry. You'll have to show me it when you finish.