Main > The Round Table

Medieval Etiquette?

(1/4) > >>

Sir Douglas:
Does anybody know of any books or sites, or have any information pertaining to general medieval and/or knightly etiquette? Not rules of chivalry, but really basic social things like which is the proper knee to drop to the ground when kneeling (if there is one), and how to bow properly. How does a knight properly address other knights? Not just verbally, but physically. Is a slight bow appropriate? A wave or salute? Or no gesture at all? What about when addressing people of a lower social standing? People of a higher social standing? Foreign monarchs? Just "everyday" situations like that.

A question like this came up today and I realized I really have no idea about proper etiquette for the Middle Ages. I know about the "fingers of courtesy" when eating, and that handshakes were usually done by grasping the wrist instead of the hand, but is there any other information out there?

Ian:
hmmm.... I'm sure some sort of primary sources on etiquette have got to exist.  Now I'm intrigued.

Lord Dane:
How's burping at the table for starters???  ;D

Thorsteinn:
Have you watched going medieval? Which area of the world at which time is also good to be known, cause even today etiquette in the Bay Area is not the etiquette of Appalachia.

Sir James A:
Not sure on any books, but curious too. I've always heard that the shaking hands on the forearm was not about courtesy, but about checking to make sure the other person doesn't have a dagger hidden in their sleeve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version