"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: "Ivory" hilted Katana  (Read 7197 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
"Ivory" hilted Katana
« on: 2008-12-19, 19:43:24 »

Hey all, some of us were talking the other night, and my "ivory" katana came up in conversation. I never verified for sure who the manufacturer was. I thought I'd post a couple of pics here in case anyone recognized it clearly.

A couple of years ago I posted on SFI about it, and several folks thought it looked like Marto, especially due to the symbol on the "habaki" (blade sleeve). At the time I looked at some online catalogs for Marto, and didn't find this sword, but there were some that were similar, and at roughly the same price point.

Anyway, here's the photos:

(all clicky)

... I'm a total noob as far as eastern swords are concerned.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Dragonlover

Re: "Ivory" hilted Katana
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-19, 20:58:04 »
 The symbol on the habaki may or may not be an actual manufacturer
symbol of representation. Might be just a decorative flourish to provide
an "Eastern" flair. Doesn't look like a Hanwei, or Imperial Weapons piece.
I'll keep eye open for ya', Ed.... :)

Dragonlover

« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-19, 21:01:16 »
Just as a reference, how long have you owned this Ed?

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-19, 22:33:19 »
Actually, that's the Japanese character for "sword". I think I should stamp the word "sword" on all my swords from now one, just in case no one can tell what they are. :)

I think its an old Marto. I know I'd said to Ed before that I thought it was United Cutlery, but now that I'm looking at the picture, I'm pretty sure its one of the ivory handled series that Marto did (they had the official Highlander ones, and then a bunch of variations on the theme). I think I remember seeing this model way back in the days when I worked at Cheseapeke Knife & Tool (I was a part-timer there in college).
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-19, 22:40:58 »
Its funny this came up, because I've recently rediscovered the Highlander TV series on hulu.com. I watched that show when it first came out and loved it, and then when I was older I always remembered it as being cheesey. I started rewatching it recently, and while, yes, its cheesey, its still kind of nostalgic. As much as I may loathe to admit it, Highlander definately played a part in my sword fascination when I was younger. :)

While these days I'm completely into authentic historical European arms and armour, I have to confess a small part of me wouldn't mind owning one of these:

http://www.pointgallery.com/sword/pages/sword.html
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-20, 04:08:29 »
Yeah, I remembered that the symbol meant "sword".. I had discovered that somewhere along the way, and others on SFI mentioned it in reference to Marto, saying they frequently stamp that on their products.

Oh yes, Highlander was an influence on me as well. I don't think I'd ever have taken any interest in Katanas if it weren't for that. I bought this one during those days (sometime in the early 90's I think). This katana appealed to me because of its similarity, while not being directly a Highlander replica.

I really need to go back and start watching the series again. There's a certain amount of cheesiness that can always be fun. :)

And I have to admit, that sword is kinda tempting. :)
« Last Edit: 2008-12-20, 04:09:00 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )