"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Cahdwick and the descendants of William Marshal  (Read 12661 times)

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
Hi all,

I was reading a description of this book on Amazon with a mind toward buying it on Kindle and I found this statement.

"The Greatness of William Marshal: The descendants of the Greatest Knight himself include George Washington and Winston Churchill, as well as the Stuart kings of England and Scotland. He was partly responsible for the Magna Carta. He vowed his body to the Templars and is buried in Temple Church in London."

Did anyone know that Washington and Churchill were among his descendants? Hero's of three different ages and all kin. WOW.

Tim
« Last Edit: 2013-09-03, 03:40:57 by TimothyPaulGallagher »
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
thats such a surprise, I wonder if they even knew of whom they descended from.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I have that book, as does Sir William. However, he has read it, whilst I've not made it past the cover...
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
A most excellent read, keeping in mind it is historical fiction and not exactly factual...place names and events are largely taken from history, but all of the dialog and interactions between the characters are largely the result of the author's writing prowess, of which I must say is most prodigious.  She's one helluva a writer, and took what she wanted and made up the rest.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
Sirs,

Thanks

I will add it to the list.

Tim
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
If you like that book, you might find her other books that center in and around that particular period in time (1180 - 1230s), with emphasis on the Marshal's contemporaries; there are two that feature him, the one you mention which deals with his earlier life, and then there's the Scarlet Lion, which deals with the second half of his life, up until his death.

The duology of For the King's Favor and To Defy a King deals primarily with the Bigods, Roger in particular, and later his son Hugh (who marries the Marshal's eldest daughter, called Mahelt in the books) which were also very good reads.  Having never experienced true medieval life, one can only go on what references that have been passed down thru the ages - but her prose seems to capture what it might've felt like to live back then.

I just got a teaser on a new book of hers called The Outlaw Knight which deals with Fulke Fitzwarin, yet another Marshal contemporary (the novel begins in 1173, when the Marshal would've been about 27 years of age); will probably pick up the Kindle copy after I finish Outremer, by Richard Allibone (a rousing good read if you like anything to do with the Crusades).

I had recently read The Winter Mantle, also by Chadwick- set in 1066; I need to read it again because I don't recall much of it.

If you're a fan of medieval fiction, you might want to have a look at Bernard Cornwell and Stephen Lawhead; as far as I'm concerned, the two of them are equal to Chadwick in most areas.

There's also
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Valiant64

• Knight of the Word
  • New Forum Member
  • My Honor is my life
I thought William had no desendents?

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
He has countless descendants.  Me among them.  But!  I didn't know that Washington and Churchill were my distant cousins!
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I thought William had no desendents?

If you're referring to the so-called curse leveled at his family, well- it is true that his male heirs all died w/out issue, but his female children did have children of their own and it is through them that the Marshal's line has continued throughout the ages.  It is also worth noting that the Marshal was invested into the Order of the Knights Templar upon his deathbed.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Ok, now I just have to go on Ancestory.com and find out if im related lol.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
He has countless descendants.  Me among them.  But!  I didn't know that Washington and Churchill were my distant cousins!

Truly?  That's awesome.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
After I read some more of the Bernard Cornwell I have already bought I might buy me some Chadwick's series and read it up :)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte

Isn't there a theory that true blood relations ends after 6 generations?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
Sir Nate,

I don't know when true blood ends, but since we all have more than 5 MILLION 20th great grandparents, I'd wager the Marshall and myself share very few chromosomes! ;D

The fun of finding these folks in our family tree is only that, fun.  It is meaningless otherwise.

Sir Humphrey
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Sir Nate,

I don't know when true blood ends, but since we all have more than 5 MILLION 20th great grandparents, I'd wager the Marshall and myself share very few chromosomes! ;D

The fun of finding these folks in our family tree is only that, fun.  It is meaningless otherwise.

Sir Humphrey

What if one of the families still bare the name Marshal?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max