Main > The Round Table

What would you have been in the medieval age?

<< < (7/15) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-10-23, 20:01:31 ---Silvanus, KoH is a favorite of mine as well- in fact, I implore anyone interested in viewing it to view the Director's Cut as opposed to the theatrical version.  What did you not like about his portrayal of the Templars?

--- End quote ---

I think the film showed them in a particularly bad light. It wouldn't have been universally so.

Sir William:
Was it a particularly bad light?  I didn't think so...unless we're talking about Guy using them as his personal shock troops...I did not read anywhere that that was the case (the attack on Saladin's sister's caravan, or sending them to attack Balian- altho I thought those particular knights were Teutons, just based on the white surcoats and shields blazoned with a black cross) but it is Hollywood after all and someone had to be the villains, no? 

Still, I thought the portrayal to be decent- bad thing about history is it doesn't tell us a whole lot about the Templars themselves.  The Order, the organization, who the leaders were...but not of the men themselves.  Lots of conjecture and discourse, but not a lot in the way of fact.  Given the religious intolerances of the day, I did not think it a reach to portray them as zealots for the Church, that is, in fact, what they were.

Silvanus:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-10-23, 20:01:31 ---Silvanus, KoH is a favorite of mine as well- in fact, I implore anyone interested in viewing it to view the Director's Cut as opposed to the theatrical version.  What did you not like about his portrayal of the Templars?

--- End quote ---

Well, to be sure, there were some unjust - even evil - Templars who bullied and butchered the native population of Outremer. That might be said for any group of knights in the Holy Land. However, Scott seems to enjoy portraying the entire Templar brotherhood as greedy fools with no idea of the military reality in which they were in. The General of the Order, as well as Guy - who was not historically a Templar, btw - and Reynald were among the villains of the film.... Don't get me wrong, KoH and Scott did a great service to the portrayal of knights and the kingdom of Jerusalem. But not one good Templar? (You understand I have a certain duty to defend my overlords.)  :) 

SirNathanQ:
Little footnote, the Teutonic Order wasn't around at the time. Find another band of knights to blame for attacking Orlando Bloom!  ;)

Also, the real villain of the whole affair weren't the Templars (the knights of the Temple took no part in any of Reynald's raids, or were ever under his command) or even Guy. Reynald de Chattillion was the true villain, and he was portrayed pretty accurately.
Guy was actually a French adventurer, and it seems Sybilla fell madly in love with him (her family had little to gain from Guy, and were against the marriage). It also didn't help that Baldwin seriously undermined Guy's authority during his fits of madness (brought upon by his advancing leprosy). This caused many blunders under Guy's rule due to the nobility not respecting or obeying him (the most notable example was Hattin of course). In fact, Guy was actually the reason Outremer made it into the 13th century. Saladin released Guy after the fall of Jerusalem, thinking the man a broken king. However, after being released, Guy gathered up all of the remaining forces along the coast and besieged Acre, putting up a heroic resistance to the superior Muslim forces until Richard and Phillip arrived with the 3rd crusade. 

Lord Dane:
I have seen it many times over Silvanus. :) And will continue to watch it wishing I could live in the time period of the Crusades. Was a great depiction of the era from one standpoint.

What I dislike is how the Templars act in this film or are portrayed (by Scott) as it makes me want to disfavor the Order (even though it is not a completely factual depiction of what historically occurred with characters as explained by Sir Nathan). Their bloodthirst & cry for war in the name of God is disheartening & a serious taint of any sense of pious honor. Templars in this movie needed to learn temperance & could have learned more following the actions of their Hospitallier brethren & Knights who followed King Baldwin IV faithfully in maintaining a peace w/ Saladin.

They could have maintained the Kingdom under Christian rule if they were more observant & wise to the true meaning of God's teachings & not the Pope's decree of what God demands of them. They were truly corrupted in this portrayal & 'real butchers' like the original Crusaders that won Jerusalem through the most non-Christian means. Their leaders were not men of God but of & for 'themselves'.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version