Main > The Round Table

What would you have been in the medieval age?

<< < (6/15) > >>

Leganoth:
I would rather be in medieval ages, I could see myself as a soldier or blacksmith considering both of those I find interesting

Silvanus:
I was a Medieval Studies major, and have always been drawn to those times. For the longest time, I fancied myself as a 'wandering scholar' - a goliard . In those times (11th - 13th centuries) students did not often pursue their degrees in a single university, but went wherever their interests (or their lusts) took them. Say from Oxford to Bologna to Paris.... If you have a chance, read some of the songs of the goliards - irreverent, funny, tragic, and often erotic. But then came the Crusades, and my natural lust for blood overwhelmed my intellect. So, even though I would have been of low birth, I would have taken the Cross and gone forth to the Holy Land, entering into the military service of some Templar knight, baron or lord, hopefully carving out a small place for myself in the region where Christ walked and rose from the dead, and earning forgiveness for my many, many sins. That was one of the glories of Crusade - a man is not who he was born, but what he has it in himself to be. (Guess what film that is from!)

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Silvanus on 2012-10-23, 02:17:19 ---I was a Medieval Studies major, and have always been drawn to those times. For the longest time, I fancied myself as a 'wandering scholar' - a goliard . In those times (11th - 13th centuries) students did not often pursue their degrees in a single university, but went wherever their interests (or their lusts) took them. Say from Oxford to Bologna to Paris.... If you have a chance, read some of the songs of the goliards - irreverent, funny, tragic, and often erotic. But then came the Crusades, and my natural lust for blood overwhelmed my intellect. So, even though I would have been of low birth, I would have taken the Cross and gone forth to the Holy Land, entering into the military service of some Templar knight, baron or lord, hopefully carving out a small place for myself in the region where Christ walked and rose from the dead, and earning forgiveness for my many, many sins. That was one of the glories of Crusade - a man is not who he was born, but what he has it in himself to be. (Guess what film that is from!)

--- End quote ---

Same movie where this quote comes from..."What God requires of you is here (pointing to his brain) and here (pointing to his heart) and what you choose to do with them everyday will make you a good man.....or not".  If the Crusades emphasized anything (in this movie and historically), it was the difference between man's conflict with himself and that of his world in the eyes of religious zealots only concerned over their own selfish indignation and lust for power in the name of God. That conversation with Balian emphasized the wisdom of 'free-will' in matters of conscience & morality comparatively to what is perceived as the 'root evil of men'. Truly pious men driven to God's teachings under 'Christendom' follow their own path to enlightenment (by believing in one's own good nature), seeking acceptance as opposed to tolerance, & recognizing our own frailties as mortal men in order to find divine virtue through those teachings. The trials of a man's soul in terms of 'faith' are weighed by his own words and judged by his own actions.   

For that quote alone, I respect & see the wisdom of the Hospitalliers (at least in the movie). 'Indifference' should be expected amongst men but it should not be what causes us to war with each other. It is better to show 'acceptance' of others for their views as the means to find peace with each other & within ourselves. Tolerance only carries resentment & is a forced acceptance that will eventually lead to conflict. Through this means can man truly find his faith and value in what he believes. Absolutely one of my favorite movies. :)

Silvanus:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-10-23, 13:20:05 ---
--- Quote from: Silvanus on 2012-10-23, 02:17:19 ---I was a Medieval Studies major, and have always been drawn to those times. For the longest time, I fancied myself as a 'wandering scholar' - a goliard . In those times (11th - 13th centuries) students did not often pursue their degrees in a single university, but went wherever their interests (or their lusts) took them. Say from Oxford to Bologna to Paris.... If you have a chance, read some of the songs of the goliards - irreverent, funny, tragic, and often erotic. But then came the Crusades, and my natural lust for blood overwhelmed my intellect. So, even though I would have been of low birth, I would have taken the Cross and gone forth to the Holy Land, entering into the military service of some Templar knight, baron or lord, hopefully carving out a small place for myself in the region where Christ walked and rose from the dead, and earning forgiveness for my many, many sins. That was one of the glories of Crusade - a man is not who he was born, but what he has it in himself to be. (Guess what film that is from!)

--- End quote ---

Same movie where this quote comes from..."What God requires of you is here (pointing to his brain) and here (pointing to his heart) and what you choose to do with them everyday will make you a good man.....or not".  If the Crusades emphasized anything (in this movie and historically), it was the difference between man's conflict with himself and that of his world in the eyes of religious zealots only concerned over their own selfish indignation and lust for power in the name of God. That conversation with Balian emphasized the wisdom of 'free-will' in matters of conscience & morality comparatively to what is perceived as the 'root evil of men'. Truly pious men driven to God's teachings under 'Christendom' follow their own path to enlightenment (by believing in one's own good nature), seeking acceptance as opposed to tolerance, & recognizing our own frailties as mortal men in order to find divine virtue through those teachings. The trials of a man's soul in terms of 'faith' are weighed by his own words and judged by his own actions.   

For that quote alone, I respect & see the wisdom of the Hospitalliers (at least in the movie). 'Indifference' should be expected amongst men but it should not be what causes us to war with each other. It is better to show 'acceptance' of others for their views as the means to find peace with each other & within ourselves. Tolerance only carries resentment & is a forced acceptance that will eventually lead to conflict. Through this means can man truly find his faith and value in what he believes. Absolutely one of my favorite movies. :)

--- End quote ---

I am glad that KoH is one of your favorite films, Lord Dane. Mine as well. The actor who portrayed Salahadin should have been nominated for an Oscar. Unbelievable that the movie did not do as well as other Ridley Scott films here in the US. If you have not yet, you should watch the director's cut of the film. About an hour was taken out of the theatrical release. The only part that for me was problematic was his portrayal of the Templars.

Sir William:
Silvanus, KoH is a favorite of mine as well- in fact, I implore anyone interested in viewing it to view the Director's Cut as opposed to the theatrical version.  What did you not like about his portrayal of the Templars?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version