"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Sorry I've been gone  (Read 4141 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Sorry I've been gone
« on: 2013-08-24, 01:59:19 »
hey everyone,

sorry I disappeared for a bit.  I've been keeping up to date (at least a little anyway) with Shawn's progress though via the infernal "book of faces" lol.  Shawn, gotta say bud, your kit is looking awesome!  It dawned on me how long I'd been gone when Sir Ian messaged me asking if everything was okay.

basically, I had something happen because of my sis, and family is family!  :o

so, to start with, everything is fine.  We're all okay. 

but, May 4th, as some of you fellow nerds know, is now "Star Wars Day" lol.  My sister (Meg) and all our friends from her college got together for an amazing Jedi/Sith melee in their grotto lol.  Meg came out with a custom lightsaber I had built her years ago.  I was so upset at the time for her hasbro Darth Maul breaking, I made her one out of T6 aluminum and a 1/8" walled 1" OD polyblade.  Which at the time, 2003 mind you, was revolutionary.  And to her friends, it still is lol

she told them, and Lord help me for it, "My brother made it, he makes them all the time and he's a Lightsaber Combat Master.  You should hit him up."  :o lol and my facebook got blasted! :D  Did I mention I used to do all this?  I hadn't touched a lightsaber since 2005! :D

so, to put it plainly, feeling responsible to her friends... a forum made, facebook group, video instruction, and desperately trying to catch up with today's technology when it comes to lightsabers, yeah... I've been busy!

when it comes to all things medieval, yeah, it's been good.  Still plugging away at my mail.  Slow and steady.  My soft kit for my Templar, minus the cloak and black habit, I am proud to say is completely done.  I have a couple pairs of braies made, St. Louis shirts, and hose.  Let me tell you, me in Mohave County 110 degrees average, cotton flannel on the bias is the most comfortable thing to wear for long legs  8)

I've also still been working with my Knight Instructor, Sir Ian at least once a week.  Man has that been a blast.  I qualified for shinai and ren, happily received perfect 100% on both tests.  Now I just need to study so I can help out as a Marshall too. 

Sir Ian, also, has rubbed off on my Scottish-Gaelic side, not going to lie.
He played me this:

yeah  8) :o
so, needless to say, I bought about 5 yards of saffron yellow and about 9 yards of gorgeous checked green fabric too.  Yeah... I'm going there:

... did I mention I'm an O'Neill?  ;D and thanks to Sir Ian, I think I've gotten my greatsword up to snuff again.  I know my backsword is, no offense to anyone else in the area, but in a true fight, I end up on top every time.

I think it's high time the true "Grumpy Badger" Broc O'Neill made an appearance again.  Especially since everyone in Adria is expecting a Templar lol :D

anyway, sorry for being away for so long.  It's good to be back.  I just wanted to wait until I had something fun to show you guys on video, but yet again, my "camera" is proving less than reliable AGAIN! rrrr
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Sorry I've been gone
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-24, 12:57:13 »

Welcome back! Oh boy, talk about letting the cat out of the bag with the lightsabers. I'm sure that can really keep you busy! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-24, 15:36:37 »
Welcome back!

Is there another person on here named "Sean/Shaun/Shawn" in Mundania?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-24, 15:53:53 »
Welcome back!

Is there another person on here named "Sean/Shaun/Shawn" in Mundania?

Welcome back Pat,

Thorsteinn, Sir Ulrich's name is Shawn
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-24, 22:23:36 »
Thanks I have been working hard on my kit so far, still have to cut the horseman's slit and replace the butted rings with riveted ones in my hauberk though. My IRL name is Shawn, dont like using it for my persona much cause it doesn't reflect my heritage so I named my persona Ulrich instead to reflect my German heritage.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-28, 22:35:39 »
Your avatar looks so great Sir Ulrich.  That kit is amazing!

here's what I'm working on as of late, basically trying to get it ready for Imperial Crown War, 38 hours and counting til I ship out lol.

"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-28, 22:59:40 »
Pat, I saw you mention on facebook the Fuhlen Designs saffron dyed Leine.  Jessica Finley (Fuhlen Designs is her's) is a member of this forum, and has made some of the pieces of kit that I and Sir Ed own.  I'm 100% sure she'd be willing to answer any questions you have on what she did for that garment.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-29, 21:07:27 »
Thanks for that Ian!
that's great she's on this forum.  Her work is absolutely gorgeous!
I added this to my pinterest too of hers:
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=27625

her Ionar that went with that leine is so beautiful. 

good news, my leine is done, and it's pretty awesome.  It's 90" across from wrist to wrist and goes past my ankles.  It's a big one, which fits with my Broc O'Neill persona.  The O'Neill's aren't exactly known for following British mandates ;)

now I'm getting started to work on my Ionar.  I'm using the same cotton flannel I used for my hose for my Templar.  It was a remnant and I have plenty of it.  I think it, chain stitched, will look gorgeous and clean for a fighting garb's Ionar.   This whole kit is 100% cotton so it's easily maintainable.

When I go to make a 100% linen and wool period kit, I'll definitely have to hit Ms. Finley up for some help with the saffron dying.  This leine is just cotton broadcloth ;D  Scott Cross has been a great help too.

thanks for the help.

I guess I can post it here, see if anyone knows.  Why are the ionar's associated with only the Kern mostly?  Is it because of the period drawings and text?  I figure when a high ranking Galloglaigh isn't in his armor he'd wear an ionar, they're a nice jacket!  I've seen plenty of family wear ionar with their brat and leine when it's cold out. For me, I just simply don't have my hauberk finished yet!  :o

I kind of don't want to post this question on livinghistory.ie or myarmoury for fear of the NoobGunners... I just don't appreciate that attitude.  I may post this on facebook too, but I don't want it "public" until after the war  ;)

and yes, Sir Wolf.  I'll post up a new thread about Broc after the war.  I have 16 hours to get it all squared away, and I know the people I'm making this for lurk on here sometimes too lol (don't know why they won't join) so I want it to be a surprise at war.  The best news, it should look great for shinai combat, my shinai has a nice long hilt and it's a size "39" so it's good and long. 

it's going to be a fun weekend for sure.

thanks for that head's up Sir Ian!
« Last Edit: 2013-08-29, 21:27:12 by B. Patricius »