-- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 12206 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: 2013-08-25, 03:35:46 »
Hail and welcome! I second the question on the banner source.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #16 on: 2013-08-25, 06:42:25 »
Sir Edward

They are all being made by the same place
**********************************************************************************************
Hello Tim,

I have quotes for the seven heraldic banners that we talked about this week.  They are sewn (appliqued) on top-quality 200 denier nylon, and measure  3' x 3' with pole hem across the top, designs as shown below.  I have quoted these banners two ways:  Single/reverse means that the banner is correct on the front and in reverse on the back.  The lined version is correct on the front and has a plain lining on the back, suitable for use as a wallhanging only.  I would be delighted to make these banners for you!

Sgl/reverse      Lined Back

Henry de Bohun            $258         $207

Richard de Clare            $120         $108

Gilbert de Clare3            $142         $118

John de Lacey            $159         $129

Robert de Vere            $78            $66

William de Warrenne         $317         $266

William Marshall            $188         $158

Best regards,
Jan Hartman
Flag Lady Gifts
398 W. Lancaster Ave.
Wayne, PA  19087
(610) 964-6280 ext 5
(610) 964-9989 Fax

They are also going to make the Gallagher banner,  one for Ogle and a few others. I also bought the poles to hang them from them as well.
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #17 on: 2013-08-28, 16:29:15 »
Welcome to the boards Tim and good speed to you.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #18 on: 2013-08-29, 16:50:25 »

No worries. :) I think it's pretty cool that you know enough about your familial history to be able to do that. I, unfortunately, have no idea where my family comes from beyond a few generations. I've always wondered about it, though.

If you would like help getting started on your family history I would be most willing to help.

Just out of curiosity, how much would I have to already know about my family history in order to be able to trace it back farther? Where would someone even start with something like that?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-08-29, 19:22:37 »
Welcome to the forum, Tim.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #20 on: 2013-08-29, 21:26:02 »
Tim,

well met and sorry for the late welcome!  I've definitely already appreciated your posts and topics.  Looking forward to working with you, having a history/geneologist is definitely going to be an asset to this community.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #21 on: 2013-08-29, 23:00:24 »

No worries. :) I think it's pretty cool that you know enough about your familial history to be able to do that. I, unfortunately, have no idea where my family comes from beyond a few generations. I've always wondered about it, though.

If you would like help getting started on your family history I would be most willing to help.

Just out of curiosity, how much would I have to already know about my family history in order to be able to trace it back farther? Where would someone even start with something like that?

Sir Douglas,

I would say you would need to know when and where you and your parents were born. Then I would start by taking to the oldest members of your extended family and writing down or recording, on a tape recorder, ( old school) as much information as you can. If you have them and their are still alive this would include GPs, aunts and uncles older cousins etc.
I have a number of trees at Ancestry and elsewhere and I could set one up for your family to help you start out.
Then when you are ready to go it alone we can download the file and you can place it in any genealogy computer program you like or put it back on Ancestry or other place of your choosing. One of the reasons people can trace their ancestry back, ye unto the middle ages is that royalty and the aristocracy  kept good records on themselves .

If you are interested you can email me at spqr753 at msn.com or call 301-831-3994

Good luck

Tim

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2013-08-30, 14:11:24 »
Tim, you might not want to post your phone number publicly, since even non-members of the forum can see these public sections.

Also, how's Ancestry.com? I set up an account there years ago but didn't get too far. Were you able to trace yours back to europe on there?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #23 on: 2013-08-30, 17:21:05 »
Hi..my name is .. what? ..my name is .. who? ..my name is ...Sir Shady.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #24 on: 2013-08-30, 21:30:53 »
Tim, you might not want to post your phone number publicly, since even non-members of the forum can see these public sections.

Also, how's Ancestry.com? I set up an account there years ago but didn't get too far. Were you able to trace yours back to europe on there?

I use Ancestry for the billions of records that it has and the information other people share. But I take it ALL with a grain of salt. Yes I have used to trace my ancestry back to Europe in fact ( unproved) back to Charlemagne. This is not that unusual in that we are all descendants (those of European heritage) to 80 percent of the people who lived when Charlemagne lived. The most interesting thing I discovered was the fact that the Irish were here (USA)  long before the famine when I though my Gallagher's came over. They were in fact here before the revolution. My English ancestors even earlier. For me the finding is interesting but the search is even more so. Anybody interested can have a free, two week membership at Ancestry or I can work with them from my our account.