"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Teutonic great helm...now with wings?  (Read 103554 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Teutonic great helm...now with wings?
« Reply #75 on: 2013-11-15, 15:36:04 »
Doesn't the later period Teutonic cross include the imperial arms of the HRE and add gold?  That's why I thought the gold could still fit with a Teutonic surcoat.

If we're thinking about the same one, it's a white field, black cross, and gold arms over top of the black cross. Still primarily white w/black, to me. If I were copying that style for the feathers, I'd do the white/black alternating, and add gold edging between the black/white separations. Or maybe a gold edging along the outer "line" of the horn where the feathers connect. Keeping it white/black primary, with gold as an accent.

Paging Sir Nathan! :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 2013-11-15, 17:08:18 »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #77 on: 2013-11-15, 18:14:09 »
Doesn't the later period Teutonic cross include the imperial arms of the HRE and add gold?  That's why I thought the gold could still fit with a Teutonic surcoat.

If we're thinking about the same one, it's a white field, black cross, and gold arms over top of the black cross. Still primarily white w/black, to me. If I were copying that style for the feathers, I'd do the white/black alternating, and add gold edging between the black/white separations. Or maybe a gold edging along the outer "line" of the horn where the feathers connect. Keeping it white/black primary, with gold as an accent.

Paging Sir Nathan! :)

Darn it man! I already had a difficult time deciding on a design and now you're giving me more ideas! ;) I do like the idea of gold accents, though.

I know Tannhauser's crest had black/gold coloring. What I'm not sure about is whether it was heraldic, or associated with the Teutonic Order.
I've seen modern art depicting Teutonics with gold in their crests as well, so I was under the same impression as Sir Ian; it had to do with the cross. Of course, that's modern art so grain-of-salt and all that.

But anyway, as for my crest, it seems that the choice for design is pretty much unanimous. I thank you gentlemen for you feedback. :) What I'll probably do is paint it black/white first to see how that looks since it already has a white base. Plus, I live in the Pittsburgh area....with black and gold I might be mistaken for a "Steelers Knight". ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #78 on: 2013-11-15, 18:29:53 »

I know Tannhauser's crest had black/gold coloring. What I'm not sure about is whether it was heraldic, or associated with the Teutonic Order.
I've seen modern art depicting Teutonics with gold in their crests as well, so I was under the same impression as Sir Ian; it had to do with the cross. Of course, that's modern art so grain-of-salt and all that.

That's a good question. Sir Nathan might have some input when he sees this. I think I remember reading that the Teutonic order wasn't as strict as say, the Templars, in that they allowed some personal heraldry to be used. This could be Tannhauser's own arms, and what makes me think this may be the case is that the shield is on his page with that exact color division, and I don't think it's been depicted anywhere else with regards to the Teutonic knights.

However, the existence of the gold/black cross certainly opens up many possibilities as well.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #79 on: 2013-11-15, 18:41:25 »

This could be Tannhauser's own arms, and what makes me think this may be the case is that the shield is on his page with that exact color division, and I don't think it's been depicted anywhere else with regards to the Teutonic knights.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's the shield that throws me off.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #80 on: 2013-11-15, 23:19:03 »
Sir Ian, I'm remembering one just like that, except without the gold "stripe" in the cross or the fleur de lis ends.

Agreed on the shield and personal vs teutonic heraldry.

I think the best solution for the helmet dilemma is just do one with the black and white stripes.

Then build another helmet and crest and do it with black and gold stripes.

Then, uhh, build a third helmet, and make a crest for it with black and white stripes and gold trim.

I mean you *could* just make a few crests and only one helmet, but then you've only got one helmet. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #81 on: 2013-11-15, 23:27:20 »
I think the best solution for the helmet dilemma is just do one with the black and white stripes.

Then build another helmet and crest and do it with black and gold stripes.

Then, uhh, build a third helmet, and make a crest for it with black and white stripes and gold trim.

Agreed!
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #82 on: 2013-11-16, 16:31:09 »
I mean you *could* just make a few crests and only one helmet, but then you've only got one helmet. ;)

And three helmets will always be better than one! Now we just need to find a way to wear three at once. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #83 on: 2013-11-16, 19:39:30 »
LOL! Totally not helping, guys. ;)

And three helmets will always be better than one! Now we just need to find a way to wear three at once. :)

I've heard medical science has come a long way in extra head transplants. The problem is finding willing donors.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #84 on: 2013-11-18, 20:22:46 »
One head like mine is more than enough for the average human; I can't see two heads like mine on one set of shoulders...that's just asking for a lot of trouble.  A LOT.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #85 on: 2013-11-18, 21:54:35 »
Obligatory Monty Python reference time!  ;D

http://youtu.be/c4SJ0xR2_bQ?t=1m14s

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #86 on: 2013-11-20, 22:10:46 »
And here we go. I ended up going with the yellow trim to add just a little bit of color to it.
It matches the colors of my current secular knight kit's charge, too.  ;D

« Last Edit: 2013-11-20, 22:15:04 by DouglasTheYounger »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #87 on: 2013-11-20, 23:14:21 »
That is spectacular!  The yellow trim really makes it quite striking.  Very nice job!
My Pinterest

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #88 on: 2013-11-21, 00:58:27 »
Dude that is just plain awesome. I like that helmet a lot.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #89 on: 2013-11-21, 02:40:36 »
holy poop. jaw meet floor