"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Teutonic great helm...now with wings?  (Read 103394 times)

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
Re: Teutonic great helm...now with wings?
« Reply #60 on: 2013-11-07, 22:32:45 »
Good discussion here.   First, well done, Dougla!

Ian - while I fully understand the importance of accuracy/portrayal display in LH, personally I lean toward inclusiveness if the ultimate goal of said undertaking is not to only carry on tradition and tradecraft, but also to teach and interest those outside our "niche" - especially the next generation  :D  BTW, where do you participate in LH?  It's an area I'd like to learn more about.
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2013-11-08, 00:28:19 »
Good discussion here.   First, well done, Dougla!

Ian - while I fully understand the importance of accuracy/portrayal display in LH, personally I lean toward inclusiveness if the ultimate goal of said undertaking is not to only carry on tradition and tradecraft, but also to teach and interest those outside our "niche" - especially the next generation  :D  BTW, where do you participate in LH?  It's an area I'd like to learn more about.

I started a new thread here so we don't take this thread too far of course :) :
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2834.0.html
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #62 on: 2013-11-11, 19:43:38 »
I really like that helm...if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it? I really love Great Helms and the shaping of it...

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #63 on: 2013-11-11, 21:49:59 »
I really like that helm...if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it? I really love Great Helms and the shaping of it...

I made that one. It's styled after the Bolzano helm because I liked the Bolzano's somewhat "wide" look. The upper half is a bit tall, but for a prototype, I'm pleased with it.

Got the attachments worked out for the horns. I managed to get them fitted to the helm a tiny bit tighter than is shown here, but there are still a few small gaps in places. Nothing too bad, but I think I nice mantle would fix that. ;) Now I just have to figure out how I want to paint them. Decisions, decision. Probably would have been done a whole lot sooner if I didn't spend so much time trying to make up my mind. :P
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #64 on: 2013-11-11, 22:09:30 »
wow.

now how does it feel on the head? heavy? does it make your head roll to one side or the other? etc?

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #65 on: 2013-11-11, 22:47:38 »
You made it? I didn't know you were a smith! Do you take commissions because that looks a lot like what I want...even with the taller top...I am 6'5 and 375 lbs so it might be slimming to have a longer head :)

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #66 on: 2013-11-12, 00:22:56 »
wow.

now how does it feel on the head? heavy? does it make your head roll to one side or the other? etc?

Surprisingly, no. It's pine so it really doesn't add that much weight. I think as long as the cap plate of the helm isn't balancing directly on the top of your head (which it shouldn't be if it has a liner and fits properly) it's pretty stable. I tried it on with just my arming cap and a mail coif before I put the liner in and it snugged up enough that it didn't wobble or anything.

I definitely wouldn't recommend wearing it indoors, though. :P Since you can't see them, you can't judge how far they are from, say, door frames or expensive, fragile valuables. Strong winds may also cause some problems, but for "average" use, it seems all right.

You made it? I didn't know you were a smith! Do you take commissions because that looks a lot like what I want...even with the taller top...I am 6'5 and 375 lbs so it might be slimming to have a longer head :)

Well, I wouldn't call myself a smith yet. I've really only just started. ;) But yes, if you're interested send me a PM, let me know what you had in mind, and we can discuss it. It would probably be best to have whatever you plan on wearing underneath it so I could custom size it to your specifications, but if you have any questions or whatever, let me know.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #67 on: 2013-11-14, 01:40:46 »
My indecision has forced me against a brick wall, as it so often does. I really have no idea what colors/design I want to make this crest. So, I did a little bit of [very lazy] photo-shopping and came up with the attached image. Figured I'd do a bit of crowd-sourcing before settling on a design...assuming you guys don't mind me using you as my personal guinea pigs. :P

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 2013-11-14, 02:15:58 »
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I'm drawn to the middle designs with the alternative black/gold or black/white.  I think I favor the black/gold (design E) because it's just a little more striking.  I'm not basing this on any historical knowledge, but just what catches my eye, so take that for what it's worth.

With the gold accented Teutonic cross on a surcoat, that would look very intimidating :)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-14, 02:17:25 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #69 on: 2013-11-14, 14:15:50 »

Photoshop is a wonderful tool for this sort of thing. :)

I too am really drawn to the middle designs, though I think "A" looks really good too. What's great is that they all have fantastic contrast against the black horns.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #70 on: 2013-11-14, 14:40:51 »
I think B would look best with your kit...I never got around to messaging you...that GH you made is about exactly what I want :)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #71 on: 2013-11-14, 16:03:10 »
I'm partial to the black/white alternating (middle top) too. Partially because black/white are teutonic colors. If it was heraldic, I'd go with the black/gold alternating. It looks, to my eye, more like alternating feathers, instead of a "solid" piece.

I did the same kind of grid when I was deciding on my heraldry. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 2013-11-14, 17:06:30 »
Doesn't the later period Teutonic cross include the imperial arms of the HRE and add gold?  That's why I thought the gold could still fit with a Teutonic surcoat.
My Pinterest

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #73 on: 2013-11-14, 17:18:41 »
What a fantastic helm  :) Really nice job. I think the shape and height of the top portion lend themselves to the wings perfectly.
 I too prefer the Black and gold stripes in the middle.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Edward Jeagal

• New Forum Member
  • You're stronger than you think you are. Trust me.
« Reply #74 on: 2013-11-15, 09:20:24 »
That's a great looking helm you got there! As for the design, I'm torn between B and E.

But...I think I prefer I B.
Be patient in tight situations as well as easy ones; eliminate all pettiness.