"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: 16th Century Knight kit  (Read 8755 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
16th Century Knight kit
« on: 2013-08-20, 22:17:14 »
So I've decided since I already do 16th/17th Century and most of the armor I already have will easily transfer over to a Knights kit, I would work on completing this before working on my barely even started mid 14th Century Kit. I wanted to run my idea by the members here to get their thoughts on it. I know Joshua Santana is working in the same period. I'm shooting for less of a full "Tournament" style and more of a field or "Half-Armour" presentation. I already have a Peascod Breast and Back with Tassets (from Illusion Armoury) and an Almaine Collar from Allan Senefelder. I'm planning to add Cased Vambraces, 16th Century Legs and Floating Greaves from Illusion Armoury. Under the armour I will get an Arming Doublet, possibly from Steel Mastery. I am undecided as to whether I want to add steel gauntlets of some type or just stick with the leather glove style gauntlets. I know late 16th Century Knights were ussually in command of troops on the field and when they fought were as likely to use firearms as anything else, which might make steel gauntlets unnescessary. I am also divided as to the type of helm to get. I am leaning toward a Burgonet, although I do not think I look good in them, but a Tudor Close helm is more commonly associated with a Knight. Perhaps I may even skip the helm in favor of just a hat, although it would be a much fancier one than any I currently wear in my 16th Century impressions. This will also require me to exchange my low shoes for proper riding boots, possibly bucket boots although I am unsure exactly how early bucket boots go.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 16th Century Knight kit
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-21, 03:25:17 »
Close helms are a bit hard to find. MRL has the "Tudor Close helmet", which is really an armet. They're reasonably cheap at $195 (on sale from $225) and the quality is good, as compared with regular MRL stuff. I won't call them quite "battle ready", as they're 16 gauge, dent fairly easily, and as I recently found out from Allan Senefelder (MercTailor), it's made of.. 13 pieces, welded together.

If you wanted to do the style with the "black and white", you could go with the gauntlets with integral vambrace that goes to the elbow. I forget the name off the top of my head, but the cuirass and almain you have, with gauntlets and just cuisses, would make a nice late-period armor. I'm not 100% sure if you'd need the floating greaves.

Any particular pictures or ideas?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-21, 13:25:51 »

I look forward to seeing this come together. You might be able to skip the greaves and focus on the cuirass and arms. You're quite right, by that time, knights were more commanders than front-line fighters themselves. The role had shifted to a title of nobility rather than being strictly cavalry.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-22, 19:45:10 »
When in the 16th century is important to determine what gear is appropriate as armour changes rapidly in style and how much is worn over the 100 years. By the last quarter of the century the upper classes are begining to step away from command in the field in favor of a burgeoning proffessional officer class in the growing proto-national armies of paid/hired soldiers of which the century gives rise.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-22, 21:01:53 »
I'm shooting for mid-late 16th Century, somewhere around 1560-1580, early Elizabethan. The Illusion Peascods do not have a very pronounced central ridge, so that fits them more in the early to mid 16th Century. I hadn't thought about doing a glove with integrated vambrace, that's an interesting idea. The difficulty with the close helm is why I lean toward the Burgonet a bit, if I choose to do a helm. Leaving off greaves isn't out of the question either, many of the period examples I've seen from the mid-late 16th Century on seem to omit greaves, I just like them and think they would help to distinguish this kit from my Pikeman impression.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-23, 14:07:28 »
Ah, finally found the term again. I kept thinking "horseman's gauntlet", which gave me nothing of use. It's "bridle gauntlet".

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/110436.aspx

It's not quite a glove with integrated vambrace, it's a very late style of gauntlet that has sort of a combined "cuff and vambrace" that goes down to the elbow. Or like a bazuband with a gauntlet attached. I got to wear a repro pair years and years ago, and if articulated properly, it feels 100% natural even with twisting your wrist. And it's a *very* rare look in historical context; you see them sometimes in fantasy, but I've never seen them except a few times at a museum, and the one guy who had the repro set - which he had made himself, and did a similar impression to yours (buff coat, peascod, etc).

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-24, 00:18:32 »
Oh I do like that and the fact that it's rarely done puts it right up my alley, so to speak. It's classified as early 17th Century, though, I wonder how far back it dates? Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to keep this kit solidly in the mid-late 16th Century and while I can see such a gauntlet as being used in the 16th Century I'd like to make sure before I shell out the cash to have someone custom make this.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-25, 02:49:11 »
Oh I do like that and the fact that it's rarely done puts it right up my alley, so to speak. It's classified as early 17th Century, though, I wonder how far back it dates? Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to keep this kit solidly in the mid-late 16th Century and while I can see such a gauntlet as being used in the 16th Century I'd like to make sure before I shell out the cash to have someone custom make this.

Good question, I don't know the exact time frame, just that it was for a similar kit to what I think you could be going for. The guy who made it had the same peascod, and was an SCA Master Armorer (Laurel of some kind).

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #8 on: 2013-12-02, 15:04:03 »
I am back from many days of research and studying!

Well, now we are talking on a topic that does hit home on my interest.  I also am doing a Late 16th Century Knight Garniture or Kit.

Close helms are a bit hard to find. MRL has the "Tudor Close helmet", which is really an armet. They're reasonably cheap at $195 (on sale from $225) and the quality is good, as compared with regular MRL stuff. I won't call them quite "battle ready", as they're 16 gauge, dent fairly easily, and as I recently found out from Allan Senefelder (MercTailor), it's made of.. 13 pieces, welded together.

Illusion Armoring, Clang Armory and MRL would be the choices to look for a Close Helmet.

I know Joshua Santana is working in the same period. I'm shooting for less of a full "Tournament" style and more of a field or "Half-Armour" presentation. I already have a Peascod Breast and Back with Tassets (from Illusion Armoury) and an Almaine Collar from Allan Senefelder. I'm planning to add Cased Vambraces, 16th Century Legs and Floating Greaves from Illusion Armoury. Under the armour I will get an Arming Doublet, possibly from Steel Mastery. I am undecided as to whether I want to add steel gauntlets of some type or just stick with the leather glove style gauntlets. I know late 16th Century Knights were ussually in command of troops on the field and when they fought were as likely to use firearms as anything else, which might make steel gauntlets unnescessary. I am also divided as to the type of helm to get. I am leaning toward a Burgonet, although I do not think I look good in them, but a Tudor Close helm is more commonly associated with a Knight. Perhaps I may even skip the helm in favor of just a hat, although it would be a much fancier one than any I currently wear in my 16th Century impressions. This will also require me to exchange my low shoes for proper riding boots, possibly bucket boots although I am unsure exactly how early bucket boots go.

Thank you for your kind reference, to help clarify on this topic, Half-Armor were used on the Battlefield and Tournaments (Look up records on Elizabethan Tilting events).  Half Armor can be seen in many portraits an artwork of the period.   
Sir Matthew:  You have most of it, let go of the greaves and buckled boots will do.  Burgonet or Close Helmet are two good choices either one is fine.  You can add steel gauntlets if you want to fight in the Half Armor but that depends on what you want to do.

You're quite right, by that time, knights were more commanders than front-line fighters themselves. The role had shifted to a title of nobility rather than being strictly cavalry.

By the last quarter of the century the upper classes are begining to step away from command in the field in favor of a burgeoning proffessional officer class in the growing proto-national armies of paid/hired soldiers of which the century gives rise.

This is correct, you see in the late 1500's the rise of Knights being officers, generals commanding troops.  Also there are accounts of these type of Knights/Officers participating in the battles they fought (though with sword and pistol rather than traditional lance).  This is the earlier start for the later 17th Century Cavalier/Cuirasser that fought with both pistol and sword. 

I'm shooting for mid-late 16th Century, somewhere around 1560-1580, early Elizabethan.

Best place to look is portraits or artwork made during the time period you chose.  That should help you i deciding what pieces to go for.

The Illusion Peascods do not have a very pronounced central ridge, so that fits them more in the early to mid 16th Century.

Yep, very true that is why I am going to Jeff Wasson for my Garniture or Harness with extra pieces.

Now for what I call a Kit update:  I am getting mine done by Jeff Wasson who agreed to the task, will pay him next year as he informed me that he wouldn't get to the garniture by the fall of next year.   

My soft Kit is a combination of Tudor Shoppe and Fuhlen Designs.  Period is 1590-99.  So you can expect me to look like this:

My garinture is simple a full harness with an extra Peascod Breastplate without the Faulds and Tassets.  Most Garnitures that you will find in museums have extra pieces for the Joust or Battlefield.  I intend to keep mine simple as possible to achieve a full harness and half armor look. 

Armor style is 1590-99. Examples which you can see here.  Except my garniture is blackened. 

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21306

That's that, glad to hear you Brethren are doing well! 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2013-12-02, 15:15:01 »
woah sweet

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-12-02, 16:09:56 »
Allan has a burgonet for sale right now, $350+shipping

http://merctailor.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=187021051

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-12-02, 23:55:49 »
Joshua, that is going to be a very nice kit! Even simple, it will be much fancier and nicer than what I am shooting for. I'm going for a lower class Knight's field armor. I'm still up in the air on the helmet. I really like Allan's burgonet, but the wallet isn't ok with it. So it goes, I'll be doing a little more research and putting some more thought into it in the off season.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-12-03, 18:19:56 »
Apparently that helm sold already. I almost started another kit lol