"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: The Evolution of Man through the Ages  (Read 9918 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: The Evolution of Man through the Ages
« Reply #15 on: 2013-07-26, 16:16:41 »
man needs more banhammer. hit stupid people in the head

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #16 on: 2013-07-26, 16:52:53 »
man needs more banhammer. hit stupid people in the head

Stupid people will continue to do stupid things with no understanding ...
Those claiming to be smarter will also do stupid things but with intention whether good-natured or with premeditation and maliciousness ...

Stupidity is in human nature and it will not correct itself through banhammer strikes to the head. We are predisposed to stupidity as our fallibility shows itself everyday in our misguided actions and failures to correct improper behavior that can result in harmful action.

But until we can overcome our need to banhammer each other, I guess we are going keep being stupid. At least mankind can say they are consistent in this aspect.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26, 16:58:47 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2013-08-19, 23:51:06 »
Most modern men don't hold that way of honor and truth, everyman has chivalry in him, but when they kill each other with unmanned planes and weapons by the tens, there is no good. No truth, Men of the past were more evolved. they didn't need one man to announce to the world that what happens is wrong. every day of living they could respect the horrors of killing and being killed, and that there is no joke of it. technology means nothing to man's true greatness.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-08-20, 00:17:15 »
...but when they kill each other with unmanned planes and weapons by the tens, there is no good.

I don't think Medieval Man was more evolved than us.  I think if they had access to the war machines we have now, they would have used them too.  In fact, as new technology became available, they didn't turn it away out of some great sense of chivalry, they used it to kill each other with greater efficiency.  I just think mankind is what it is, and to tell ourselves differently is a lie.  Individuals make the choice to live an honorable life, and that is their choice to make.  And as a person who's job it is to fly one of those war machines, I have no reservations about whether or not I can find honor in my profession.  I just think the technology is irrelevant.  The man inside the armor, or the man inside the helicopter are the same man.  One is not more evolved than the other.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-20, 00:20:58 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2013-08-20, 14:02:38 »
...but when they kill each other with unmanned planes and weapons by the tens, there is no good.

I don't think Medieval Man was more evolved than us.  I think if they had access to the war machines we have now, they would have used them too.  In fact, as new technology became available, they didn't turn it away out of some great sense of chivalry, they used it to kill each other with greater efficiency.  I just think mankind is what it is, and to tell ourselves differently is a lie.  Individuals make the choice to live an honorable life, and that is their choice to make.  And as a person who's job it is to fly one of those war machines, I have no reservations about whether or not I can find honor in my profession.  I just think the technology is irrelevant.  The man inside the armor, or the man inside the helicopter are the same man.  One is not more evolved than the other.

I agree, Sir Ian. There are of course great debates on how well knights actually upheld chivalry, and the overall behavior (and honor) of the nobility and royalty. People are people, and in many ways we haven't changed much over the last thousand years, other than cultural variances.

But looking at Chivalry and Honor, these things were probably held in high regard, because they had to. In a time when there was less medical technology, less forensic and justice methodology, more dependence on having a good harvest and an easy winter, people were more interdependent in general. Modern technology and culture allow us to live slightly more in a vacuum. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-08-20, 16:03:15 »
In a time when there was less medical technology, less forensic and justice methodology, more dependence on having a good harvest and an easy winter, people were more interdependent in general. Modern technology and culture allow us to live slightly more in a vacuum. :)

I agree, especially with the statement I bolded; I believe there was more of a sense of community- everyone played their part and each was aware of the others' output, be it the miller, the baker, farmers or what have you.  With the advanced tech we have at our disposal, we can (and usually do) install additional layers between ourselves and other people- to the detriment of some who try to live full-time in their own little fantasy world.

I'm guilty of it myself...I use tools because they're easier than face to face interactions; sometimes you can get caught up in whatever it is you're doing, quite possibly forgetting, for a time, that there is an outside world and you are indeed a part of it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2013-08-21, 00:31:29 »
If the world ever had to go back to those ways, to carry a sword instead of a taser. Would people in general, become better people. It seems so many people are ignorant to the outside world. They think a pair of shoes is more important. Aye although communications were slow in the middle ages and it could take the average man a month or two to find out about a new war. they would still care wouldn't they?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"