"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: [video] Inspiration: Down-Syndrome MMA Fighter refuses to Lose to his condition!  (Read 6114 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
This young man has a warrior spirit:

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Initially, I thought this was just wrong...but why shouldn't he be able to follow his dream?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Everybody finds their calling in life & need to follow it. What good is life where you cannot live up to your potential and be allowed be succeed despite perceived limitations. I say HUZZAH!! Kick some ars, kid!!!!
« Last Edit: 2013-07-18, 07:39:57 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Man, that made me cry. I hope he keeps doing what he's doing.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
It's inspirational, but at the same time it puts people in some very awkward positions.  They touched on it a little in the video.  At the end of the day, his opponent is a person without disability beating up a person with disability.  Do you take it easy on him?  Do you go all out against him?  As the opponent you're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.  If you beat him, you just beat up a person with Downs.  If you lose, well... the reality is you just lost to a person with Downs.

I don't know what the right answer is.  Part of me is very inspired that he found purpose and a way to truly find purpose in his life, but part of me also sees the difficulty and the problems anyone who fights him faces as well.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
I don't know what the right answer is.  Part of me is very inspired that he found purpose and a way to truly find purpose in his life, but part of me also sees the difficulty and the problems anyone who fights him faces as well.

That's a really good point. I'm glad they touched on it a little in the video. It's a difficult balance to strike, since it's something that he's passionate about. The transition into teaching is probably a good direction to go with it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran

That's a really good point. I'm glad they touched on it a little in the video. It's a difficult balance to strike, since it's something that he's passionate about. The transition into teaching is probably a good direction to go with it.

Agreed, and I've heard the same with "guy vs girl" fights - you beat up a girl, that just makes you a guy that beat up a girl. You lose, you're the guy that lost to a girl.

The thing that hit me hard was when they said his dad bought him a gym of his own, and that he's teaching there. A close second was how he refuses to accept his limitations; that might be stubborn, or avoidance of fact, or whatever else - but I think it's great. He isn't accepting a limit given to him, he's finding out what it is on his own.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The thing that hit me hard was when they said his dad bought him a gym of his own, and that he's teaching there. A close second was how he refuses to accept his limitations; that might be stubborn, or avoidance of fact, or whatever else - but I think it's great. He isn't accepting a limit given to him, he's finding out what it is on his own.

If only other people weren't so scared to follow their dreams like him!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Sir Kief, KSCA, Knighted well after losing his leg. Fights single sword. Got there on his own merits. A legend in his area (check the Armour Archive for stories like this: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162807&hilit=sir+kief ).

Plus I know a few aspies who fight to a high level.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Sir Kief is definitely an inspiration...I've also heard that to go for his good leg will only result in something bad happening to you immediately thereafter.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
It is inspiring.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"