"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: The meaning of the word 'Knight'  (Read 3701 times)

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
The meaning of the word 'Knight'
« on: 2013-07-03, 18:02:04 »
Many years ago one of my teachers (of unarmed combat and survival skills) taught me that to truly walk in the way of the Warrior was to walk a path which could be called Knighthood. He taught me that in his most honest state a Knight was a humble man who most often served a higher power and who was first and foremost loyal to the idea of balance in the world. In short, a Knight is an implement of good and an example of right-action in a world that might not always be the most stable place.

I took those words to heart, and thus many years later when I was reading up on the etymology of the term Knight, I was not overly surprised to learn that it had its roots in old Germanic words which described helpers and servants.

Wikipedia has this to say on the origins of the word:

The word knight, from Old English cniht ("boy" or "servant"),[3] is a cognate of the German word Knecht ("servant, bondsman").[4] This meaning, of unknown origin, is common among West Germanic languages (cf: Old Frisian kniucht, Dutch knecht, Danish knægt, Swedish knekt, Norwegian knekt, Middle High German kneht, all meaning "boy, youth, lad", as well as German Knecht "servant, bondsman, vassal").[3] Anglo-Saxon cniht had no particular connection to horsemanship, referring to any servant. A rādcniht (meaning "riding-servant") was a servant delivering messages or patrolling coastlines on horseback. Old English cnihthād ("knighthood") had the meaning of adolescence (i.e. the period between childhood and manhood) by 1300.[3]

For those who are interested the full article may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight

It makes sense that in many cases Knights have developed as they have. Unfortunately these days there are only a few of us who recall that the purpose of a Knight is to be of service to the world.

Just a few thoughts there...

Regards

Corvus
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: The meaning of the word 'Knight'
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-03, 18:30:17 »

Absolutely. The whole evolution of the concept of knights and chivalry is a fascinating subject in itself. Even when the word 'knight' applied to equestrian warriors, at first it was just terminology rather than a title. Over time it evolved to have more meaning, more ceremony, and more detail surrounding it.

The word "chivalry" has the same root word origins as "cavalry" and other words surrounding horsemanship. A knight was expected to be a horseman, once it became a more defined role.

In fact, in other European languages, their words for "knight" are based around horsemanship rather than service. Some examples: Ritter (German, meaning "rider"), Chevalier (French), and Caballero (Spanish). You can see the similarity to words like "cavalry" and "chivalry" in those last two examples.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-03, 18:59:13 »
Indeed its a fascinating development over time!

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-03, 19:53:19 »
Corvus, you posted it! Awesomeness in your post too.  I love the depth of the discussions here.

Sir Edward, it is interesting too that for me in my other works, in the history of the American Southwest (the continent, not just the states period) and how the caballero evolved and the Californios who still felt they deserved respect from being Dons even though the country was now part of Mexico.  Needless to say, I portray a Metis of sorts, mixed blood, true American.  White, Mestizo, Spainish, and Navajo intermixed, with vacquero/metis clothing.  It's funny how it all started with Disney's Zorro and Tombstone's Jonny Ringo.  Zorro did truly have a profound effect on my younger years and continues to show itself today.

I always have found this interesting and a joyful conversation to have with members of "Chivalry" within reenactment groups.  Pretty much for me, it's a check to see if in my mind they are worthy of the title.  I've never felt an interview should only go one way ;).  Far too many people today care more about the title, badges, tabs, and tridents, than they do about what those icons of heroism, courage, and commitment to their causes actually mean.

I recently wrote a private message to Sir Nathan about this very subject, and the severity of the revelation that it being true, if I had grown up in the Medieval Era, if I had any chance at all, I would have served in the Holy Orders in some manner or fashion.  This juxtaposed greatly versus where I was at the time, and truly forced me to reconcile with myself and my past.  Indeed, sewing on the red cross patee on my habit was far more soul searching than any "quack" ever gave me at the VA.  I had nowhere to hide, and only my own conscience to face. 

One of my other friends, knowing my past more deeply simply said, "and you think the brothers back then ever felt any different?"  Indeed, now it is something I strive to hold myself to, and it's making me a far better man for it.

YIS
B. Patricius
« Last Edit: 2013-07-03, 19:55:40 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-03, 20:02:34 »
Well said, Brother Patricius.

The way of the Knight is to be reforged in a crucible of woe and striving. Will is the hammer that  shapes the blade.

Corvus