"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: Dominus vobiscum  (Read 12197 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Dominus vobiscum
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-22, 23:16:35 »
Just to follow up on what Sir James is pointing out, it's only a reminder (to everyone) about the forum rules. We're not saying that the rules have been broken, only posting a reminder in case further discussion erupts. We have to be ever vigilant. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-06-22, 23:18:21 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Grand Master Garland

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-22, 23:30:27 »
Sir William, Sir Brian and Corvus, thank you for your greeting.  Sir James, thank you for cautionning me about the rules of the forum against discussions of politics and religion.  I will have difficulty joining forum discussions about historical chivalry since the well known ancient code of knighthood is based on the Christian faith and the unceasing war against the Infidel.  Thank you for your comment Sir Edward.  I respectfully request your judgement on these matters.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-06-22, 23:50:18 »
Saladin also had a lot to do with the code of Chivalry being written as we know it.

He's one of those nifty historic persons I'd love to sit down with and have a meal. Know what  I mean? :)

And if you ever want to get an earful about Arabs just come to Maccabee Firearms here in Reno & tell Sharon that you want a .45 ACP cause 9mm isn't big enough. ;) lol

(Sharon is former IDF & Mossad. Super nice guy but very... Israeli)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #18 on: 2013-06-23, 02:49:58 »
Saladin also had a lot to do with the code of Chivalry being written as we know it.

He's one of those nifty historic persons I'd love to sit down with and have a meal. Know what  I mean? :)

And if you ever want to get an earful about Arabs just come to Maccabee Firearms here in Reno & tell Sharon that you want a .45 ACP cause 9mm isn't big enough. ;) lol

(Sharon is former IDF & Mossad. Super nice guy but very... Israeli)

I'd love to meet Sharon and discuss the virtues and vices of 9mm, 10mm, and 45acp.  My favorite handgun is a Desert Eagle 10mm, I carried H&K though, but also in 10mm ;)  but that's a completely different topic.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-06-23, 03:29:09 »
Sir William, Sir Brian and Corvus, thank you for your greeting.  Sir James, thank you for cautionning me about the rules of the forum against discussions of politics and religion.  I will have difficulty joining forum discussions about historical chivalry since the well known ancient code of knighthood is based on the Christian faith and the unceasing war against the Infidel.  Thank you for your comment Sir Edward.  I respectfully request your judgement on these matters.

No need to request a judgement on anything, as Sir Edward said, you have said nothing wrong; I just wanted to give you a heads up in case things were headed towards political grounds. :)

There are lots of aspects of historical chivalry; as Thorsteinn pointed out, chivalry was not strictly a Christian virtue. There is a group of 9 people called the "9 Worthies" who are regarded as the pinnacles of chivalry. Three of them are Pagan, three are Jewish, and three Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Worthies

Even the general modern knightly virtues aren't religion-specific. I find this a pretty good read:

http://chivalrytoday.com/knightly-virtues/

Welcome to the forums, have a look around at our other threads, and join in!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2013-06-23, 12:39:06 »

No worries, we just have to walk a fine line here sometimes. Historical discussions that involve religion and faith are just fine, and answering questions about present day issues is just fine, usually. What we avoid are discussions that can potentially turn personal. One of the things that we hold dear on our forum is the atmosphere of respect and civility, so we post these reminders about the rules so that those who are engaging in the conversation will remember not to cross the line later in the conversation.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )