"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online, beta sign-up  (Read 27506 times)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Re: Elder Scrolls Online, beta sign-up
« Reply #15 on: 2014-01-30, 19:46:25 »
Sir Edward...the closest I got to a fun (EVE Online was a bit too tedious and nerve-wracking to be called fun) sandbox MMO in recent years is Darkfall...you might want to check it out...the BETA was awesome...release was great...then they broke the game...now they release clean servers under Unholy Wars and lots of my friends like it...I dont have time for MMO's anymore unfortunately...

http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #16 on: 2014-01-30, 20:43:24 »
Probably one of the few things I dislike about the new ESO is that depending on your class, you can't be friends with someone who is a certain race. For example, my friend loves Khajits, and I love Imperials and Nords. But, because one is Aldmeri Diminion and the others are a different alliance, we can't play together until (from what I heard) level 50ish. Thats a bit disapointing  :'(
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2014-01-30, 21:32:21 »
Probably one of the few things I dislike about the new ESO is that depending on your class, you can't be friends with someone who is a certain race. For example, my friend loves Khajits, and I love Imperials and Nords. But, because one is Aldmeri Diminion and the others are a different alliance, we can't play together until (from what I heard) level 50ish. Thats a bit disapointing  :'(

Yeah, that's a big problem, if you can't play what you want and still play with your friends. Although, it looks like that isn't a limitation with the digital pre-order, as one of the perks is you can play any race in any alliance:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2014-01-30, 22:47:14 »
One of the huge draws of the Elder Scrolls universe, is that as the only playable character in the game, you had a dramatic effect on the world.  You completed quests that you felt like, you could totally ignore the storyline if you so pleased.  As you accomplished things in the world, and revisited old locales, people knew of your deeds and you could see the change that you affected.

This is all not something that can be replicated in an MMO.  There are 10,000 other 'unique' heroes all trying to affect the world at the same time, and really we all know MMO's cater to the end-game.  This doesn't jive with the Elder Scrolls formula.  The 'End Game' in a single player Elder Scrolls game was the entire journey, the open sandbox fantasy world that you lived in.  An MMO doesn't work that way.  You can't be special in an MMO through completing quests and adventuring.  The only way to break you out as special in an mmo is usually by gear and other garbage like that, reflecting how much time you spend in the game, not by the story you carved for yourself in the world.

What I loved about Oblivion and Skyrim was that I basically got to create my own epic tale of adventure and do what I want and see how even the smallest action of mine had a real effect on a living world.  This is far and away a very different thing than what an MMO can accomplish.  From what I experienced with the beta, it's just another MMO, it's not  what made Elder Scrolls fantastic.  I genuinely hope that they can figure out the feel of the game before its release, because it would be awesome if they could bring the Elder Scrolls experience to an MMO, but when you think about it long and hard, MMO's and single player fantasy RPGs have different objectives that just don't overlap enough.

Most of the feedback I saw from the beta came down to this:  MMO fans think it's not MMO enough, and ES fans think it's not ES enough.  They picked two divergent gaming experiences and tried to please everyone...  That's usually not a recipe for success.

I hope I'm totally wrong and they blow it out of the water when it comes out though!  If not, I can still play Skyrim forever! :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-01-30, 23:49:12 »
One of the huge draws of the Elder Scrolls universe, is that as the only playable character in the game, you had a dramatic effect on the world.  You completed quests that you felt like, you could totally ignore the storyline if you so pleased.  As you accomplished things in the world, and revisited old locales, people knew of your deeds and you could see the change that you affected.

This is all not something that can be replicated in an MMO.  There are 10,000 other 'unique' heroes all trying to affect the world at the same time, and really we all know MMO's cater to the end-game.  This doesn't jive with the Elder Scrolls formula.  The 'End Game' in a single player Elder Scrolls game was the entire journey, the open sandbox fantasy world that you lived in.  An MMO doesn't work that way.  You can't be special in an MMO through completing quests and adventuring.  The only way to break you out as special in an mmo is usually by gear and other garbage like that, reflecting how much time you spend in the game, not by the story you carved for yourself in the world.

What I loved about Oblivion and Skyrim was that I basically got to create my own epic tale of adventure and do what I want and see how even the smallest action of mine had a real effect on a living world.  This is far and away a very different thing than what an MMO can accomplish.  From what I experienced with the beta, it's just another MMO, it's not  what made Elder Scrolls fantastic.  I genuinely hope that they can figure out the feel of the game before its release, because it would be awesome if they could bring the Elder Scrolls experience to an MMO, but when you think about it long and hard, MMO's and single player fantasy RPGs have different objectives that just don't overlap enough.

Most of the feedback I saw from the beta came down to this:  MMO fans think it's not MMO enough, and ES fans think it's not ES enough.  They picked two divergent gaming experiences and tried to please everyone...  That's usually not a recipe for success.

I hope I'm totally wrong and they blow it out of the water when it comes out though!  If not, I can still play Skyrim forever! :)

Well, like many games like this, a major quet you do will allow you to see and do things other players can't do. So YOUR world as you see it changes, and people that complete the same things as you eventually see what you see. There is actually a point in the game where every group and faction fights in a war to claim the crown/title of Emperor of Tamriel. But this is a new Elder Scroll where Molag Bal basically wishes to turn Tamriel into one of his daedric realms. Im playing just to see the world of Tamriel and all of its myths and legends come together into one large game. Explore the continent, also they will release a new part of Tamriel every year, kind of like they do in WoW. They may even release a whole new continent! Like the one where Nords came from! Probably even the island where high elves come from. It may even be like WoW where you can do a single player game. I am more excited than not for this game. Actually, what sucks is that you have to pay a monthly fee even though you are already paying for, say, XBOX live or ps4 online.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2014-01-31, 14:18:08 »

This is the part that really worries me. :(
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #21 on: 2014-02-01, 19:44:25 »
SKYRIM baby!!!! :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2014-02-02, 04:47:46 »

This is the part that really worries me. :(

I'm sure the true fans will stay true.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #23 on: 2014-02-05, 01:29:39 »

It looks like ESO is doing a wide-beta stress test this weekend. I think that will be a good opportunity to see how the game is turning out.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2014-02-05, 01:40:03 »

It looks like ESO is doing a wide-beta stress test this weekend. I think that will be a good opportunity to see how the game is turning out.

Yes, I got a notification to log in this weekend.  We'll see how it goes!
My Pinterest

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2014-02-07, 20:18:21 »
This is a good article / video on the pros/cons of ESO.  It addresses the MMO vs ES dilemma well.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-elder-scrolls-online-trapped-between-worlds/1100-6417556/
« Last Edit: 2014-02-07, 20:18:42 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2014-02-07, 21:59:47 »
This reminds me, I need to check if there's a workaround to the glitch in that cavern in Skyrim when I tried to claim Vaermina's staff or something and it kept freezing before I could exit. 
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #27 on: 2014-02-08, 03:47:57 »
I got to play a little in ESO tonight, before the server went down for maintenance. I don't hate it so far, but I can see what the criticisms are. It might be fun for a while, but I don't know how well it'll hold my attention in the long run yet. For the time being, I'm having some fun with it.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-08, 03:48:24 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2014-02-08, 04:02:28 »
I think I'm getting it anyway. I don't even care if its bad. I am a die hard Elder Scrolls fan. Sir Edward, i think you would like the game better if you played the other games. This new Elder Scrolls game is highly highly comprised of myths and stories from the Elder Scrolls series. Plus when your whole child hood is grown up around these games it is kinda hard not to buy. Especially Oblivion.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2014-02-08, 04:08:09 »
I got to play a little in ESO tonight, before the server went down for maintenance. I don't hate it so far, but I can see what the criticisms are. It might be fun for a while, but I don't know how well it'll hold my attention in the long run yet. For the time being, I'm having some fun with it.

You know what would get peoples attention. Oblivion remastered.
Without that game, I may not be on these forums right now.
The story, the heroism, the amount of hours of figuring out ways to kill the adoring fan!
The confusing Armor! Every town is like a different freakin century. I love it!
Who thinks Oblivion was the best elder scrolls game?
(Saw an ESO trailer with daedra, scamps, and a gatekeeper!)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"