"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online, beta sign-up  (Read 27532 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Elder Scrolls Online, beta sign-up
« on: 2013-06-05, 15:37:10 »

Beta applications are open for Elder Scrolls Online. I never played the previous games, except for a little bit of Skyrim (didn't get far before getting distracted by other shiny objects), but I always enjoy a good MMO.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Elder Scrolls Online, beta sign-up
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-05, 15:41:05 »
They're the best modern RPG's this side of Baldur's Gate / Planescape Torment / Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale.  Signing up for the beta as we speak! 
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-05, 15:43:30 »
I love the ES games...well, the console version.  I'm assuming this is for the PC crowd- you gotta let me know how that goes!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-05, 19:40:12 »
I love the ES games...well, the console version.  I'm assuming this is for the PC crowd- you gotta let me know how that goes!

Seriously!  I love Skyrim.  I'm more a fan of Bioware's storylines though, I care more about the characters in DragonAge and Mass Effect.  But, Elder Scrolls is amazing, and a great universe too.  Let me know how it goes!  My knight is already trying to convince me to build me a computer because of The Old Republic and EVE, if Elder Scrolls is any good, I might just have to give in.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-05, 20:56:29 »
Dragon Age was a great game, albeit wayyyy too much reading, loved DA2 because all of the dialog was spoken.  I think I played that game thru at least 4 times, while DAO I played thru twice.

I think I fell more for Skyrim's world than anything else...there was so much to explore and it was starkly beautiful.  I think one of my favorite areas was Blackreach...talk about an alien sub-world.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-30, 00:10:47 »

So has anyone had a chance to try out the beta? They just opened pre-orders, and I'm curious if it's worth it. I assume it is, since they have a great lineage of games, from what I understand.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-30, 00:44:06 »
Yes.  Huge Elder Scrolls fan here... not impressed with the beta of ESO.  Too MMO, not enough ES. 
My Pinterest

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-30, 01:27:07 »
YES!! Getting it for playstation 4! Alright guys, lets start forming a group. I'll be the sword and shield since that is my favourite combo for all elder scrolls games, preferably heavy armor. Sir Edward, you must play elderscrolls! You all are looking at a child who played Oblivion 6 hours a day every day and never once did I get bored. I have 59/60 achievements in that game! The last one was become head of the theives guild and i screwed it up. Part of my bucket list is to beat it! My god I am having a complete nerdgasm...
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-30, 03:48:07 »
Elder scrolls are an awful game series.
If you keep reading you see that I was lying.
I love Elder scrolls. Can't wait for this game!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-30, 04:15:57 »
Yes.  Huge Elder Scrolls fan here... not impressed with the beta of ESO.  Too MMO, not enough ES.

Like Neverwinter?
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-30, 14:06:57 »

Like Neverwinter?

I actually liked the Neverwinter beta better.  I played it a lot longer that's for sure.  ESO feels like it's trying to force classes and class based skills into Elder Scrolls, which was one of the cool things about ES, you could do what you wanted and get better at those things.  I felt like my character was just like everyone else's character, chasing the same quests etc, just like every other MMO.
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-30, 14:22:38 »
I actually liked the Neverwinter beta better.  I played it a lot longer that's for sure.  ESO feels like it's trying to force classes and class based skills into Elder Scrolls, which was one of the cool things about ES, you could do what you wanted and get better at those things.  I felt like my character was just like everyone else's character, chasing the same quests etc, just like every other MMO.

That is disappointing. Maybe I'll sit this one out. I played the Neverwinter beta for a while, but didn't proceed with it after launch. I was really hoping ESO would be more like Skyrim. I'd love a good classless MMO, with a more sandboxy or free-form character progression.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-30, 16:17:34 »
Huh...that's a shame. It looks like it could be interesting, but I don't know. Even from what little I've seen about it, something just seems off. I'm a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series and lore, and the idea of having (eventually, tentatively) all of Tamriel open to explore is really appealing to me. But at the same time, I'm not really big on MMOs or multiplayer in general. LotRO's about the only MMO I've ever really been able to get into, and even then I spend most of my time adventuring alone.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2014-01-30, 17:33:53 »
I've played a lot of MMOs over the years, and often circle back on some of them when they have expansions. I play all of the WoW expansions, for example, but once I use up the new quests and hit the new level cap, I unsubscribe again.

I looked at the ESO classes a little, and it's interesting that they're saying it sets a few of the skill trees for you, but there are many others that are open to everyone, and the gear is not class specific either. So it looks like they're still aiming for more customization than many other MMOs.

This video is old, so it's probably a bit out of date:

Anyway, part of me is still tempted. I haven't played through any of the other Elder Scrolls games, so I'd be coming in fresh.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-30, 19:12:01 »

General character progression overview: