"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Well met, fellow do gooders.  (Read 18964 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Well met, fellow do gooders.
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-04, 22:40:19 »
Sir Knight,

if you're willing to learn, I have excellent resources to help you rivet your own mail.  It's also a much cheaper alternative.  It's not too bad, just tedious, but once you get going it can become quite fun.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-05, 14:05:18 »
Men (of age, competency, capability, and responsibility) should need no permission to bear arms to their own defense, their homes, their country, or their Lord. Period!!!   

If you change that to 'people' then I'm 100% behind that statement.  Would that we could adopt a more medieval approach to LE and justice in general.

Hail and well met, Sir Knight.  I believe you'll fit right in here, mate.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-06-05, 14:13:17 »
Men (of age, competency, capability, and responsibility) should need no permission to bear arms to their own defense, their homes, their country, or their Lord. Period!!!   

If you change that to 'people' then I'm 100% behind that statement. 

I'm fairly confident he meant the proverbial 'men' and didn't intend to exclude women.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-06-05, 14:53:55 »
Ha.  Knowing Dane, I wouldn't be so sure.  ;)
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #19 on: 2013-06-05, 17:56:56 »

Ian is correct in my reference & as far knowing me Sir William ... I could be a woman for all you know. LOL :P
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #20 on: 2013-06-05, 19:42:11 »
LOL  ;D to the above.

Seriously I wish something could be done too, a more "Wild West" or "Medieval Law" would be nice.  Restraining Orders are just a piece of paper that pisses the perp off in my case, so we haven't.  Same with anything else.  We're just hoping our "issue" just goes away.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2013-06-05, 20:54:51 »

Ian is correct in my reference & as far knowing me Sir William ... I could be a woman for all you know. LOL :P

I might be slightly surprised, but not completely.  ;)

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
  • Knightliness is second to goodliness
« Reply #22 on: 2013-06-06, 09:27:37 »

I might be slightly surprised, but not completely.  ;)

I hope he is a woman, we need more of those in this forum, barren of the fairer sex. At the very least, a sex change would be better than nothing. If I'm allowed to make a slightly racy joke, most knockers we see on TV these days are not real anyway.  ;D

Edit that out moderators, I don't want to get banned without making more than 10 posts.   :-X

I'm fairly confident he meant the proverbial 'men' and didn't intend to exclude women.

I used to say 'man' as in the human race, but people thought I was sexist. Unless I was talking about the human race in bad light, in which case they didn't mind.  ;D

This conversation reminds me of how every second 'story' in the 'news' is about someone being sexist/racist. It seems to me there are more people spending time feeling offended than there are people actually being offensive.

I mean to ruffle no feathers with that, but I'm sure you can all agree with me outside this forum is a mad world, that's why we're here, that and the history. 8)
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06, 09:36:51 by Sir Knight »

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
  • Knightliness is second to goodliness
« Reply #23 on: 2013-06-06, 09:43:28 »
Sir Knight,

if you're willing to learn, I have excellent resources to help you rivet your own mail.  It's also a much cheaper alternative.  It's not too bad, just tedious, but once you get going it can become quite fun.

Thanks Patricius!

I used silver as I mentioned earlier, but steel would make me feel like it was 'done'. It wasn't riveting as it should be, but it worked. It was simply a matter of getting silver wire the right diameter, cutting it the appropiate length for each rivet and, due to the softness of the metal, using a pair of pliers.

I'd love to know how to do it properly with steel. Is it possible to used galvanized steel or does it involve heat?

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #24 on: 2013-06-06, 16:17:39 »
Nothing PC about my everyday speech. I just tend to tame it at times when appropriate. Tact is needed. However, I love to ruffle feathers & offend whenever feasible (especially those so easily offended). LOL  ;D Makes it more fun!! :) In medieval times, my mouth would have resulted in lots of brawls. Picture a hockey game being hosted at the local tavern with an open bar.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2013-06-06, 19:22:58 »

Just have to be careful with that. People have been killed for less. ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-06-07, 02:34:06 »
I'd love to know how to do it properly with steel. Is it possible to used galvanized steel or does it involve heat?

Don't heat galvanized!! The fumes are poisonous!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #27 on: 2013-06-07, 03:27:07 »
Nothing PC about my everyday speech. I just tend to tame it at times when appropriate. Tact is needed. However, I love to ruffle feathers & offend whenever feasible (especially those so easily offended). LOL  ;D Makes it more fun!! :) In medieval times, my mouth would have resulted in lots of brawls. Picture a hockey game being hosted at the local tavern with an open bar.

lol I used to do that in my college town.  I had a buddy that owned a sports pub, sometimes he would get these rowdy groups of no-gooders frat boys in there.  I'd go up to each group, tell them how their rival was talking about them behind their backs, and then just let it go from there!  ;D  I know it isn't the nicest way to do things, but it certainly was entertaining.

Thanks Patricius!

I used silver as I mentioned earlier, but steel would make me feel like it was 'done'. It wasn't riveting as it should be, but it worked. It was simply a matter of getting silver wire the right diameter, cutting it the appropiate length for each rivet and, due to the softness of the metal, using a pair of pliers.

It involves heat first off, so definitely don't do it with galvanized steel.  Believe it or not, you've pretty much already got the worst of it taken care of.  Coiling the wire and setting the rivets can be two of the most tedious and frustrating parts, but then again it all depends on your outlook and the music you're listening to while you work  ;D

here's some links for ya bud:
youtube videos of making riveted mail
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2475.0.html
mail with leather edging
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,1560.0.html
Sir Ulrich's coif made by THE MAN of mail, Erik D Schmid
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2141.0.html
my journal in experimental archaeology making my own riveted mail hauberk and chausses
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2530.0.html

and for your sanity while working on it  :o
good movies for inspiration and fun while you work
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2477.0.html
epic music playlist
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,756.0.html

I must say finding out about "Two Steps from Hell" here is probably the greatest gift I could receive from this group.  I listen to their albums all the time now while working on my mail.

Also feel free to contribute to any of those posts.  Like I read Sir Edward say when I first joined, feel free to necro post about something already stated, it may refresh it and start it anew
« Last Edit: 2013-06-07, 03:31:12 by B. Patricius »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2013-06-07, 09:57:40 »
BTW Sir Knight: Your Queen is hot, and a sweetheart (yup, met her :) ).

http://lochac.sca.org/lochac/pics/photos/22-crown.jpg

EDIT: Fixed a little
« Last Edit: 2013-06-07, 18:48:45 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-06-07, 12:35:41 »
BTW Sir Knight: Your Queen is hot, and a sweetheart (yup, met her :) ).

I have a thing for white squares with little green marks in them. :D
(The pic link is broken)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent